PDA

View Full Version : Downloading and saving photos

hectors house
07-08-2012, 08:47 AM
If the parents agree in writing can I continue to do the following:

Take photos on digital camera, download and keep on my computer in children's own photo folders? Download to CD for present when child leaves and then delete folder?

As above, download on a memory stick and play on digital photo frame for children, parents and visitors to see?

Take photos of my mindees playing with other childminders mindees whilst out and about on walks and outings? E-mail photos I have taken of her and her mindees to her, which she can share with her mindees parents?

Are we not allowed to save photos on our computer due to Ofsted rules or is it Date protection rules? How do I get a license to be able to save photos?

All I can find about photos in the new EYFS standards is under Safeguarding 3.6 "inappropriate sharing of images" - if I have got permission from the parents for their children to be photographed by people who are CRB checked (other childminders) what is the problem?

The other day I met a up with mindees and parent at local park, all the mindees enjoyed playing well together and I said to the parent, that I wished I had brought my camera, with that she said she could take one on her phone and send it to me, but I said that it didn't matter as I didn't want her to take photos on her phone of my mindees - but thinking about it after, 2 of the children were hers and they were just playing with their friends (my other mindees). So why shouldn't see be able to take photos of her kids?

This whole photo thing is really depressing me, I love looking back through the photos on my computer with the children - I don't just invite these children into my house for 5 years, I invite them into my life!

All photos are of children with appropriate clothing on - I don't let them nude in paddling pool - no different to children photographed in "Asda" magazine or Argos catalogue.

rickysmiths
07-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Firstly you need to register as a Data Processor with the Information Commissioner's Office (just goggle).

I have the following on my permissions form:

to have ongoing observations made and recorded by the childminder or her assistants to follow and assess my child's development, to fulfil the requirements of the EYFS Statutory Framework, and in order to support the childminder's professional development. These may be in the form of written statements, photographs, audio or video recording. My child may also appear in records relating to other children in my care.

I give all the parents a disc a couple of times a year with all the photos that I have taken of their child on, including ones with other children in, on a disc.

I do this again when they leave and it goes with their LJ.

When they leave I put an up to date photo of the child and the one I have of their parents in their file which is then put in the loft.

I don't delete photos when a child leaves, they are my memories as well and when I get time I select a few to go in an album I have which has photos of just about every child I have minded. As you say they are part of our lives and my children's lives and the other mindees lives and to me it would be very dd to delete them from our lives so to speak, so I don't.

I never threw away the negatives of photos before I had a digital camera. I now have so many though I am thinking of putting each child's on a disc and deleting them off the computer!

They are the only thing regarding the children that I have on my computer, all my other records are done on paper. I don't name the photo files I just use initials.

Just enjoy and carry on taking the photos that you and the children's families will enjoy.

hectors house
07-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Thank you Rickysmiths - I just rang the ICO and they said every childminder needs to register with them (at a cost of £35 a year), as it doesn't matter whether you save the photos on your computer or just take photos with digital camera, download, print and delete from computer and memory stick - (I even asked about taking digital photos and not downloading them just printing them in Boots), it is the fact that you used a piece of digital equipment to take the image, so he said unless we all go back to using a manual or throw away camera we are all breaking the Data Protection Act! Even if you use your computer as a word processor to type a letter to a parent (business customer) and you save and print letter - you need to register.

I told him it takes me 10 hours to earn £35 and I would find another way to take photos! I didn't give him my name but I expect they have saved my telephone number (hope they are registered fo Data Protection Act)!

rickysmiths
07-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Thank you Rickysmiths - I just rang the ICO and they said every childminder needs to register with them (at a cost of £35 a year), as it doesn't matter whether you save the photos on your computer or just take photos with digital camera, download, print and delete from computer and memory stick - (I even asked about taking digital photos and not downloading them just printing them in Boots), it is the fact that you used a piece of digital equipment to take the image, so he said unless we all go back to using a manual or throw away camera we are all breaking the Data Protection Act! Even if you use your computer as a word processor to type a letter to a parent (business customer) and you save and print letter - you need to register.

I told him it takes me 10 hours to earn £35 and I would find another way to take photos! I didn't give him my name but I expect they have saved my telephone number (hope they are registered fo Data Protection Act)!

Oh they wouldn't get mine because it is a blocked number!!!