PDA

View Full Version : drastic change in childs behaviour!!!

georgeypie07
06-08-2012, 10:37 PM
HELP!!!!!! I'm having an absalute awful time with one of my lo's. He's 9 months old and has been with me since easter, the first couple of months he was absalutley delightful, perfect in every way! But the past 3 weeks he's been a nightmare, he only wants to be picked up, if I put him down he screams, has a massive tantrum and pulls at my legs to be picked up again, if were sitting playing he may play alongside me but the second I literally move (even just to other side of room) he's crawling after me screaming and crying!! He's not interested in food and is impossible to get to sleep (dosent sleep for his parents at night either) his mum drops him off to me in a complete daze as he dosent sleep at night!! Its really getting me down and is starting to spoil my time with the other children as I physically can't do anything with anyone else!!! Any ideas what I should do anyone?

Monkey1
07-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Didnt want to read and run but im guessing he is going through the seporation anxiety stage, he is worried as his mum has 'left' him you will too, im sure that he will come through it the other end. Has he got a special comforter? sending (((((hugs)))))

jadavi
07-08-2012, 06:46 AM
I had this with one of my own children when he was a bit older (i home educated) following a seemingly 'normal' event of him not bring told sonething was happening and missing out on an activity. I know this is different but the behaviour was the same- only time and reassurance will ease it - familiarity and reassurance, nothing new just same activities and places. Really frustrating but I found nothing else- sorry. you can't really acceleration attachment anxiety. It may help however to recognise it and try to work with it in a positive way than being upset and maybe (without intending) being negative and resentfultowards the child (not easy and I'm not suggesting you are being... I just remember how I felt)

JCrakers
07-08-2012, 07:15 AM
It's hard work isn't it. I had a similar 8m old who literally screamed all day unless she was held. Its the separation anxiety kicking in and it's worse for some children, others cope with it ok.

My little one wouldn't eat or sleep and screamed if doors were opened and closed which was tough when I had the after schoolies coming in and out.
There's no quick fix, it takes it out of you and you need to be patient.

Unfortunatley I didn't have what it takes. She came 4 days a week for 40 hrs and she had the loudest scream I had ever heard and although she was 8m she had a new born cry. I lasted 8 weeks and had to give notice. I didn't have the energy to listen to it, carry her all day (which I don't believe in) my own two children were starting to hate coming in from school, the other mindees started to not want to come. So it was better for all.
A year later she came back and is now nearly 3yrs old.

Things that may help are a comforter, a peice of mums clothing with her smell, lots of hugs from you, mum dropping as quick as she can in a morning. Hopefully he will settle again and then his night time routine will settle too when he realised his mum isn't leaving.

mindingmummy
07-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Classic seperation anxiety!

I had this with one of my little ones recently. lasted about 4 weeks and was an absolute nightmare!

Try not to let it get you down though and just stay consistent. A quick hug when he needs it then encouraged to play. Lots of hugs and he will soon realise your not about to abandon him. its such a shame when they feel this insecure for a while :(

bunyip
07-08-2012, 07:49 AM
I had this with my first mindee, right from the start. Not at all easy, but you will get through it.

Mine turned out to become confident and independent. In fact, I now have the opposite to deal with: she takes toys off the lo's and screams the place down if she doesn't get her own way.

I think they sort themselves out by the time they're 35. :D

CH1957
07-08-2012, 08:19 AM
I had this with my first mindee, right from the start. Not at all easy, but you will get through it.

Mine turned out to become confident and independent. In fact, I now have the opposite to deal with: she takes toys off the lo's and screams the place down if she doesn't get her own way.

I think they sort themselves out by the time they're 35. :D

Oh thank goodness, theres hope for my daughter yet then!!! :laughing::laughing:

georgeypie07
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Thankyou so much for all you're advice and support, its such a relief to know I'm not the only one and just to hear someone say that's its normal has made me feel so much better!!

This is why I love this chatroom so much!!

Thanks again x