PDA

View Full Version : Feel like crap after the visit

lorettacritchet
06-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I feel so bothered by a client meeting I had tonight, just had to get it off my chest. I don't know why I feel so intimidated by people who are into childcare....if I explain! I had a woman call me up today for full time, no problems. Lovely woman! I met her tonight but once she told me she was doing an apprenticeship in childcare, the conversation died! I usually spend over an hour explaining about the EYFS, what I do in the day etc but felt totally lost this evening, didn't know what to say as she knew it all. I felt even more so judged on my parenting skills with my daughter who was up at 5am this morning and got over excited with the woman's husband by throwing her dollies in the air as a form of fun! Although the meeting ended up with her asking if i could take her son on and when could she complete the paperwork, I am a little unsure whether she really is that keen especially as she didn't even ask how much I charge an hour? I just feel so down and unprofessional. :panic:

BlondeMoment
06-08-2012, 08:55 PM
I really wouldn't worry. She'll have been looking at your home and how she feels about you as being capable to look after her child.
Once I run out of things to say I usually ask if they have any questions, then once that dries up I offer to show them around the house.

If she doesn't come back, she doesn't come back and it's obviously not meant to be. I always think if things are awkward with a parent and we don't get along then I'd prefer not to be working with them anyway.

Either way, you'll learn from it and have a strategy for if you get tongue tied again
x

rickysmiths
06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
If you feel uncomfortable then don't take her on. You don't have to offer a place.

I had someone come to see me this week, a nursery teacher and I actually found the interview a relief because she knew where I was coming from especially as far as the paperwork is concerned. :thumbsup:

Joda
07-08-2012, 08:11 AM
It sounds like she's keen on taking the space - if she wants her lo to start with you then money won't be an issue.
I have a parent who is a Reception teacher and always feel a little intimidated by the fact, however, when I had my inspection a few months ago she wrote me an absolutely fantastic reference - 2 pages long, detailing all the EYFS stuff that I do with her child - the inspector was very impressed as it covered everything.

Reading your post reminded me of when I signed up one of my mindees - mum asked if her mother in law could come and visit me before lo started - I knew immediately by the questions she was asking and they knowing looks they were giving each other that she was definitely someone who knew her stuff regarding childcare and child development. When she'd gone I googled her and found that she was an author of quite a few child development books! I'm only glad that I didn't know beforehand!

mabel
07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I would say she was impressed by your service if she didn't actually ask your price. I actually like working for people in the childcare/teaching trade as they really appreciate what I do.