View Full Version : PAYE notice of coding

12-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I've just started to do my tax return online and i'm stuck already. What is a PAYE notice of coding and should I have been sent one? I've come across some questions on the online tax return which are asking about underpaid tax and overpaid tax, can anyone help me, I thought I was doing really well but this notice of coding has got me stumped

12-06-2008, 10:57 AM
You will only be sent a new code if you need one (something has changed). You can check online if one has been sent recently www.hmrc.gov.uk

Is it just asking you if you have received one or what your new code is?

12-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Are you sure you are filling in the right form??

As a self-employed person, you do not have a tax code ... well I've never had one anyway! :cool:

12-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I've never filled in a paye code either.

Carol xx

12-06-2008, 12:59 PM
As far as I know you should have a tax code if you are self employed. Although you will only get a notice if its changed for some reason. It changes at the start of the tax year though but as everyone (ending in L) changed the same amount they dont send out notices.

You dont actually need to know your tax code as they should work all that out for you.

12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
PAYE (Pay As You Earn) tax code is what is sent to employees to state what tax their companies will be taking out of their wages. It shouldn't apply to the self-employed who are filing tax returns