PDA

View Full Version : Summer holidays

mr man
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Just seen another post re outings and costs

I budget for summer hols and plan days out as much a poss. I email Ll parents with our plans, and any Qs please let me know.

I pay for it all, expect were there may be a gift shop, they can bring a small amount of money.

Ive had great comments of the children,they help plan the days too. they've wanted to come here instead of nanas, and I've had a sibling join us for a couple of days too.

We've had big days out with picnics, national trust places, attraction rides and swimming, one day I've hired a bouncy castle and will be doing again this Friday. Cinema and farms. We've eaten out in cafe, and taken picnics too. Went t the beach one day. oh and the older ones I booked them on a cycling course last week, 2 hours each morning, they hAve passed and now are ok to ride on the road. Its made them more safety aware.

I had a comment of one parent saying She wishes She could do all that stuff, I'm not offended but I was taken back a bit.

I see it that I'm paid to entertain the children , and summer hols need planning and saving for too. We do earn more due to Schoolies being here all day.

I don't mind spending it as my own two are included, after all it's their hols too.

I probably put 2/3 back into my business, and I think that's quite realistic and ideal.

My barker Ross order for summer hols crafts was £185 , it's a lot yes but not all been used yet and it give them something incise plans need to be changed due to weather .

Are other people similar or am I going a bit ott ?

I'm happy with it , plus my two weeks off I'm getting my new kitchen fitted so I'm not leaving myself out. Lol

hectors house
06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
I think it is up to each individual how they budget for outings, so no I don't think you are OTT with your outings or your craft budget - you get extra money by looking after school age children in the hols and are happy to take them and your own children out on trips. The extra money you have from them means you can treat your children to trips you may not have gone on otherwise.

I don't have school age children just have my little ones all year round but don't seem to earn much in the hols as most weeks of the summer hols someone is away and then I am away at end of august. Term time we tend to go to toddler groups that are either free in childrens centres or just cost a couple of pounds for 3 mindees - so in hols we only go on a couple of small trips a week to petting farms or countryside parks, I am planning a bigger trip to a motor museum next week as one of the mindees is off to school Sept and I want to do a trip before his friends are away on holiday.

Hope you have a lovely summer and the sun shines when you have your bouncy castle!

sarah707
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I try to do as many free things as possible - we visit the library and park a lot, go for walks to our favourite climbing tree etc.

But we do spend more in the summer and don't worry about it so much because the children are having fun and we see it as part of our job.

You have to find a balance that works for you though - you don't want to end up resenting it.

A lot of friends do one big outing a week and the rest of the days are closer to home... others go out every day.

Enjoy! They are only little for such a short time :D