PDA

View Full Version : Stressed and having a meltdown!

Belly2009
06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi,

So I received the dreaded phone call to say my first graded inspection needs to be completed by 17th August. Normally, i'd take the bull by its horns and run with it. However, I am getting married on the 24th August and really could have done without having my inspection, getting married and preparing for the revised EYFS all at the same time.

Can anyone give me any tips on what I need to show off? Ive heard its all about showing how well you do things - selling myself isnt my strong point especially when I was winding down for the wedding and dont have my minded children......lovely parents are letting me borrow them ;) to get the inspection out of the way.

How does everyone show Mrs O what they do in the best part of 3/4 hours? I have my own children nearly 8 and 3 and two minded siblings 6 and 16 months.

Thanks

mrstom
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
No words of wisdom I'm afraid as I'm still waiting for my first graded inspection. However, I'm really surprised that you've had the call - I was under the impression (from our usually very good DO) that if you'd not had a call by the end of July, then you wouldn't get one until September. Apparently they need to train up the inspectors for the revised EYFS.

Guess I'd better unplug the phone for a few weeks ;)

caz3007
06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Did you tell them you werent working. They have left it rather late, you could have been away for 2 weeks at this time and then they wouldnt have got your inspection in by the date

Belly2009
06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately I was given the same information but as Ofsted say you should expect them at any time so please don't assume its a no!

I am not working during the holidays and informed the inspector this.....her response.....could I suggest you contact your mindees parents and see whether you could borrow them for a few hours!?!! Shocking!!

I tried my hardest but she did say that if they returned it back to ofsted, Ofsted could insist for me to be inspected without children and I could only get a satisfactory!

So avoid the calls like the plague. I know I did but this one was very insistant....

No words of wisdom I'm afraid as I'm still waiting for my first graded inspection. However, I'm really surprised that you've had the call - I was under the impression (from our usually very good DO) that if you'd not had a call by the end of July, then you wouldn't get one until September. Apparently they need to train up the inspectors for the revised EYFS.

Guess I'd better unplug the phone for a few weeks ;)

Joda
06-08-2012, 05:57 PM
But surely it's their responsibility to have made sure you were inspected before their deadline. If I was on holiday and had no children then I definitely would not be 'borrowing' children just so my inspection could go ahead - their fault that's its late not yours! Could you ring Ofsted and speak to someone in authority and explain the situation?

Good luck x

Bridey
06-08-2012, 08:18 PM
But surely it's their responsibility to have made sure you were inspected before their deadline. If I was on holiday and had no children then I definitely would not be 'borrowing' children just so my inspection could go ahead - their fault that's its late not yours! Could you ring Ofsted and speak to someone in authority and explain the situation?

Good luck x

I agree with this and I would ring and complain. If I'm on holiday then I am on holiday and Ofsted can blinkin well wait until I'm working again. I really didn't care for the tone of her veiled threat either.

Belly2009
06-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I have checked and Ofsted are well within their right to inspect me without any children and only give me a satisfactory.....

I am going to go ahead with the inspection and would like if someone could give me some pointers as to what to expect, paperwork i need out, questions that maybe asked.

Thanks

LittleLegsCM
17-08-2012, 08:43 AM
I am not working during the holidays and informed the inspector this.....her response.....could I suggest you contact your mindees parents and see whether you could borrow them for a few hours!?!! Shocking!!

She has possibly done you a favour. I had my inspection on the 6th Aug, she was very impressed with everything and very positive. I received a 'good' grading... however, she said that due to gradings being changed & expectations increased, if I had been inspected in September it may have only just hit a 'good' or even 'satisfactory' :eek:

All of my paperwork sits in suspension files in a draw cabinet, I opened it up and basically said to the inspector 'there you go!' lol and left her to it.
The main files she definitely checked were EY's childrens files including their journals, policies & procedures, accident/incident/medicine books, risk assesments and certificate files. She then asked if there was anything I would like her to look at so I made a point of showing her my fire drills file which also including fire related work the children & I had done, planning file (as Ive just changed how I do it and had noted it in my SEF) & food hygiene file which again had projects the children had done on healthy eating & hygiene.

She really seem to question a lot around diversity & celebrating different religions which I said we had done a bit on but my 2 EY's are under 2 so not a lot. Also Ive only been registered since mid feb, working since March, so not really enough time to do activities about all religions anyway. She seemed happy with this but she used it as one of my 'recommendations' as apparently they have to put something.

Hope that helps x

LittleLegsCM
17-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm such a plum! Ive just written all that then realised today is the 17th so you've either had your inspection or its happening as I type so no good to you now, sorry! :blush:

Hope it went well!! ;)

kittyzcool
27-08-2012, 11:36 PM
How did it go?