PDA

View Full Version : More deregulation news

Penny1959
06-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Sarah made me aware of this over the weekend

Now it is in Nursery World

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/bulletin/nurseryworldupdate/article/1144187/?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate

Penny

mrstom
06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I've just had an email update from Nursery World about it. I'm really, really disheartened at the moment. Looks like they've made their decision and no amount of campaigning or noise will change their minds. How can they get away with it?? :angry:

I'm just starting off on my childminding journey and all my enthusiasm is fast evaporating.

Penny1959
06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
I've just had an email update from Nursery World about it. I'm really, really disheartened at the moment. Looks like they've made their decision and no amount of campaigning or noise will change their minds. How can they get away with it?? :angry:

I'm just starting off on my childminding journey and all my enthusiasm is fast evaporating.

I am the same - I feel that there is NOTHING that will stop this government doing just what it wants to do. They seem determined to save money in the short term with any thought about long term finacial costs - or the impact on the children

My emotions are all over the place, depressed, sad, angry and more

Penny :)

caz3007
06-08-2012, 01:14 PM
All the more reason for me to make sure I am on the course I want to do in September which will take me right away from childminding. 2 years is my plan, my son will be in High School and current full timer will be in reception.

I just know its going to backfire on them and there will be less childcare places available or ones that are so overcrowded.

sgu97alf
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
It's frightening, all this government seem to be worried about is saving money in whatever way possible.

I'm not even registered as a CM yet so very disheartening for me just starting in this career. My LO is with a childminder currently and I'm so disappointed that the government seem to be taking away from all the good work that CM's do.

Big sigh. Why aren't they listening? :panic:

Anna x

mrstom
06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I am the same - I feel that there is NOTHING that will stop this government doing just what it wants to do. They seem determined to save money in the short term with any thought about long term finacial costs - or the impact on the children

Why go through the motions of listening when it is quite obvious that they aren't. Are they even going to acknowledge the comments that have been made thus far by the anti-deregulation supporters and attempt to allay our fears/show us in detail how they think it will all work?

I'd like to shake Mr Gove and his chums very warmly by the throat! They haven't thought it through at all. How can they have? It just doesn't make sense.

They're going to find themselves with a lack of childcare providers and with that will come sub-standard care to help plug the gap. How long until the next poor child makes the headlines??

And I'm actually seething at their sheer lack of respect for the general public and their views. I'm one of the misguided fools who actually voted these muppets in.

muffins
06-08-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm going on Mat leave at the end oif the year till next Sept and if this is the way things will go I wont be coming back!:angry:

rickysmiths
06-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Well I feel that is the end of childminding isn't it.

What sensible parent is going to use unregulated care for their children?

There is another Day Nursery opening in our town and I guess as childminder's leave there will be more and more.

I really fear for all the children of the future and the parents who will have so much less choice in the kind of childcare they use.

Pipsqueak
06-08-2012, 04:31 PM

There is another Day Nursery opening in our town and I guess as childminder's leave there will be more and more.

I really fear for all the children of the future and the parents who will have so much less choice in the kind of childcare they use.

I agree Ricky -its the beginning of the end and the decisions - although not set in stone yet are already on that slipperly slope.

Its gutting absolutely gutting:panic::mad:

loocyloo
06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
not good. :(

really cross as they have obviously not listened/read a word we have said :mad:

as i read it, they will be deregulating childminders who only care for 5-8s...seeing as they only actually inspect us on EY children, they think they will be saving money.

have just emailed my MP again!

Simona
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
It was announced that DfE is going ahead with the deregulation of the entire workforce...not just c/ms !!!

Please reply to the Childcare Commission which is open until end of August but also express concerns that at this time many are on holiday and unable to respond....the timing is unfair
Write to your MP and anyone you can...join in the campaign on Twitter and Facebook by spreading the news

Read the Nursery World article and letter from Gove to Ofsted...we mus keep pressure on....many others will now join us
I feel c/ms have been used as a smokescreen while Dfe planned to deregulate everyone

www.nurseryworld.co.uk/.../Gove-signals-further-moves-towards-deregulation

media.education.gov.uk/.../secretary%20of%20states%20letter%20to%20her%20maje stys%20chief%20inspector%20ofsted.pdf

It's a small world
07-08-2012, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=loocyloo;1139193]not good. :(

as i read it, they will be deregulating childminders who only care for 5-8s...seeing as they only actually inspect us on EY children, they think they will be saving money.

Thats what I thought so does that mean if we care for U5's we will be ok ?

mrstom
07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Please reply to the Childcare Commission which is open until end of August but also express concerns that at this time many are on holiday and unable to respond....the timing is unfair

Timing is unfair or planned perfectly??

Call me cynical but the timing of this whole thing:

a) over the summer
b) when we're about have the transition into the revised EYFS (people may be concentrating on other things)
and
c) combined with the fact the questions of the 'call for evidence' are so flouncy and not straightforward

certainly makes me think they've made their decision but want to push this through quickly but with minimum comeback/fallout should there be complaints about it.

They asked us for our opinion but I can see not many people responding at the moment and certainly not within the timescales given.

sarah707
07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Penny and I have given you example responses here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=105817

Use them! It won't take you long then :D

mrstom
07-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Penny and I have given you example responses here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=105817

Use them! It won't take you long then :D

I've printed them off and plan to do it this weekend :)

Tam's Tribe
07-08-2012, 11:23 PM
I feel sick to my stomach worried - what's the time frame here??

nikki thomson
08-08-2012, 07:02 AM

Ah now I think there will be lots of parents queuing for really cheap childcare a fraction of a nursery, people looking after millions of kids (well not quite) kids running round screaming all day and parents not really fussed as they have childcare for a quarter the cost of a nursery. X

rickysmiths
08-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Ah now I think there will be lots of parents queuing for really cheap childcare a fraction of a nursery, people looking after millions of kids (well not quite) kids running round screaming all day and parents not really fussed as they have childcare for a quarter the cost of a nursery. X

But why should I lower my prices? I earn a good living at the moment but not a great one why would I want to go cheap and have to take on more children to earn my living?

I won't be able to take Childcare Vouchers or parents on Tax Credits or those funded by Care to Learn or College or Uni.

That could mean that I loose the parents I currently have and with the greatest of respect what kind of parent will I get if their only criteria is to find the cheapest care?

rickysmiths
08-08-2012, 07:21 AM

But why should I lower my prices? I earn a good living at the moment but not a great one why would I want to go cheap and have to take on more children to earn my living?

I won't be able to take Childcare Vouchers or parents on Tax Credits or those funded by Care to Learn or College or Uni.

That could mean that I loose the parents I currently have and with the greatest of respect what kind of parent will I get if their only criteria is to find the cheapest care?

People in my area actually do use the more expensive Nurseries. I have worked hard to build my reputation and have done things like getting the local Quality Standards Accreditation and recently my Level 3 Diploma so I stand out from other cms and show I am actually better qualified than most of the Local Day Nurseries.

I find the thought of deregulation degrading, and it is a kick in the face of all the training and development I have undertaken over the last 18 years to provide the best possible childcare for parents, because it is saying any Tom, Dick, or Harry can set up as a cm, minimal checks, no training, no paperwork required :angry:

Ant_h18
08-08-2012, 10:28 AM
it looks like we have to start opening Nurseries up. it sucks

Ripeberry
08-08-2012, 12:44 PM
What sucks the most is that they are trying to keep us busy with all the changes to the EYFS and hope that we don't notice that the rug is being pulled out from under our feet! What is the point of all this stuff? :panic::mad:

nikki thomson
08-08-2012, 12:45 PM

People in my area actually do use the more expensive Nurseries. I have worked hard to build my reputation and have done things like getting the local Quality Standards Accreditation and recently my Level 3 Diploma so I stand out from other cms and show I am actually better qualified than most of the Local Day Nurseries.

I find the thought of deregulation degrading, and it is a kick in the face of all the training and development I have undertaken over the last 18 years to provide the best possible childcare for parents, because it is saying any Tom, Dick, or Harry can set up as a cm, minimal checks, no training, no paperwork required :angry:
I agree with you, and I wasn't necessarily referring to cm at present what my point was but not put down very well if we're de-regulated then I do think anyone will just think I know i want to earn some extra cash I'll look after other peoples kids, really cheap have as many as I like pay no tax etc etc, but also as a cm now if we're not regulated how can we charge a respectable hourly rate as I don't think parents will pay it who ever is in charge about all this is living in a completely different world to the rest of us in my opinion. X

sarah707
08-08-2012, 05:09 PM
There is absolutely nothing in any documents I have read to substantiate rumours about loss of childcare vouchers, tax credits etc.

Yes that might happen - but I think it's up to us to fight to make sure it doesn't!!

We need a new mindset on this one guys!

Yes, something is happening... we can either find a way to embrace it and make our voices heard... or we can roll over and walk away...

It really is up to us! :clapping:

Boris
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I am getting so worried about all of this :panic:

When will we know the outcome? My nerves can't stand it! :blush:

sarah707
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I am getting so worried about all of this :panic:

When will we know the outcome? My nerves can't stand it! :blush:

Ofsted tell me there will be a long consultation period and it will require changes in the law.

It will also affect all the early years ... so it will take a long time.

Relax for now! :laughing: :D

miffy
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
There is absolutely nothing in any documents I have read to substantiate rumours about loss of childcare vouchers, tax credits etc.

:

I think that stems from the fact that you need to be Ofsted registered for parents to use childcare vouchers, claim tax credits etc and deregulation meant we wouldn't be registered with Ofsted.

ATM we don't know exactly what deregulation will mean for us - the details seem a bit sketchy to say the least.

Miffy xx

sarah707
08-08-2012, 06:02 PM
I think that stems from the fact that you need to be Ofsted registered for parents to use childcare vouchers, claim tax credits etc and deregulation meant we wouldn't be registered with Ofsted.

ATM we don't know exactly what deregulation will mean for us - the details seem a bit sketchy to say the least.

Miffy xx

Ah! Yes Miffy thank you I see where it's come from!

But Ofsted have stated in a recent letter that there will have to be changes in legislation before deregulation goes ahead so I am sure that's something which will be covered.

:D

The Juggler
10-08-2012, 10:41 AM
i find this sickening. not just for the dangers to all young children with settings unregulated but that parents will lose out on tax credits etc,etc, but plus that the government, these educated, supposedly intelligent people are IGNORING all the research about how important it is to have quality care in early years for a good start in life.

Ignoring all the billions spent on research (commissioned by previous governments) and all the money invested in training early years workers to level 3 and to graduate for that very reason.

What a waste and what a future for the disadvantaged youngsters - how does this tally with teh 2 year old project plans now - whats the point of paying for early years experiences for these children if they go into settings that need no regulation whatsoever and could be run by ANYONE :panic::panic:

I'm off to fill in the form to get our e-petition to downing street. maybe we should see if any of the big names might be interested in coming with us - what do you reckon Penny/Sarah. Do you know anyone who you think would back us and come with for a photo opportunity to raise awareness on this?

Pipsqueak
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Just a quickie question for Richard... can you/will you, as owner of this forum and a large commercial childcare site - be publicy supporting the petition and campaign?
Can you get information out to the childcare workers via childcare.co.uk, can you/would you help publicy drum up information awareness and support pleaase?

sarah707
10-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Just a quickie question for Richard... can you/will you, as owner of this forum and a large commercial childcare site - be publicy supporting the petition and campaign?
Can you get information out to the childcare workers via childcare.co.uk, can you/would you help publicy drum up information awareness and support pleaase?

Childcare.co.uk has already advertised the petition a while ago and made a public statement of support after a few requests from members (including me if I remember rightly!)

At the moment things are moving forward faster than the petition can keep up Pips - with the new letter stating that the revised EYFS and other recent changes are the first phase in deregulation of the early years - letter from Gove to Wilshaw.

We need to look to the future now and how we can tackle this new development :(

xx

Richard
10-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi Pipsqueak

We do support the petition and campaign and have already promoted it to our members.

Richard

Penny1959
10-08-2012, 05:19 PM
i find this sickening. not just for the dangers to all young children with settings unregulated but that parents will lose out on tax credits etc,etc, but plus that the government, these educated, supposedly intelligent people are IGNORING all the research about how important it is to have quality care in early years for a good start in life.

Ignoring all the billions spent on research (commissioned by previous governments) and all the money invested in training early years workers to level 3 and to graduate for that very reason.

What a waste and what a future for the disadvantaged youngsters - how does this tally with teh 2 year old project plans now - whats the point of paying for early years experiences for these children if they go into settings that need no regulation whatsoever and could be run by ANYONE :panic::panic:

I'm off to fill in the form to get our e-petition to downing street. maybe we should see if any of the big names might be interested in coming with us - what do you reckon Penny/Sarah. Do you know anyone who you think would back us and come with for a photo opportunity to raise awareness on this?

Hi Juggler

I think with recent events - we might need to wait a while - so that other EY settings can begin to realise that this will effect them as well.

Also John (from Change.org) has been in touch with me and Debs via Twitter about 'doing something' for when we reach 10,000 signatures.

I have been in touch with Debs and she is 'busy with other things' but once we have the details will put on the petition site (I don't have access to this)

I have been suggesting that other EY practitioners may like to sign the petition - so maybe we can try to get some more support that way.

However it maybe that we may need to reconsider and even start another petition - depending on news / details from the government about their plans.

I think that our petition has raised the awareness a lot - but actually we asked the government to consult and they have (even though limited and closed questions)

Bear with me (us) for a short while - while we see what transpires next. However rest assured I am still on my soap box and still fighting this all the way.

Pipsqueak
10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi Pipsqueak

We do support the petition and campaign and have already promoted it to our members.

Richard

thank you Sarah and Richard for replying.
I was asked by another member who didn't want to ask for themselves!

Hope that clarifies x

The Juggler
10-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi Juggler

I think with recent events - we might need to wait a while - so that other EY settings can begin to realise that this will effect them as well.

Also John (from Change.org) has been in touch with me and Debs via Twitter about 'doing something' for when we reach 10,000 signatures.

I have been in touch with Debs and she is 'busy with other things' but once we have the details will put on the petition site (I don't have access to this)

I have been suggesting that other EY practitioners may like to sign the petition - so maybe we can try to get some more support that way.

However it maybe that we may need to reconsider and even start another petition - depending on news / details from the government about their plans.

I think that our petition has raised the awareness a lot - but actually we asked the government to consult and they have (even though limited and closed questions)

Bear with me (us) for a short while - while we see what transpires next. However rest assured I am still on my soap box and still fighting this all the way.

ok. am here and waiting. let me know when and how I can help :(