PDA

View Full Version : How to balance babies & schoolies...not literally!

Demonjill
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
These are my first big holidays as a CM so I've had babies and schoolies at same time
This has been very difficult for the following reasons:

Schoolies play with small toys...babies like to eat small toys!

Babies need constant supervision esp as one of mine at walking stage but schoolies need lots of attention

One baby needs to go walk in pram to sleep...one of my schoolies cannot physically walk far!

So the holidays have been a nightmare

The thing is that there is a 6year gap between my DD and DS so I've been in the sit with my own kids and guess what?? ...no probs!

I don't have luxury of different rooms to use really as i like everyone downstairs to keep an eye

sarah707
06-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Zone the areas you do have available!

One space for older children to play their little piece games - and trays or bowls for small parts.

Then the younger children will be safe to move around.

Would it be helpful to get a double buggy / buggy board for the one who struggles to walk?

Hth :D

Chimps Childminding
06-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I also struggle :( Unfortunately my house isn't huge and although I do have a lounge they could use tbh I'm really reluctant to start using it!! I know the older girls would probably be ok sat watching a dvd or playing a board game in there, but I have a 5 year old boy who would be bouncing off the sofa and generally playing up!! One day last week I just had a 7 year old girl and we went in the lounge to play on the Wii, she bought Just Dance which she insisted I did with her (had to close lounge blinds so neighbours couldn't see :blush:) and she was as good as gold, but I don't want them to think its a regular thing as I have 4 sons of my own who need somewhere to go!!

In an ideal world I would love to lose the schoolies and just have the littlies, but they have all been with me since they were babies so its hard :(

watgem
06-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I have the same problem and have to mind in my lounge, so am trying to compromise with playdough, even the schoolies like this, easy marker painting-so nothing to choke on-I threw away the lids and touch wood so far they haven't dried out, junk modelling-no small bits obviously, duplo and happy land, the older ones enjoy this now and again. when the LO's sleep we get out smaller things and do a thorough clear up when they wake.
The garden is also better for mixed ages, but when its cold and wet the time they want to spend outdoors is reduced, I feel your stress!

Demonjill
06-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Zone the areas you do have available!

One space for older children to play their little piece games - and trays or bowls for small parts.

Then the younger children will be safe to move around.

Would it be helpful to get a double buggy / buggy board for the one who struggles to walk?

Hth :D

Hmmm won't work Sarah as littlie just started walking and is already very quick and just annoys schoolies and trashes/tries to eat whatever they are doing:laughing:

I am tired of telling the schoolies to keep wee bits together!
They manage to play at the high table ok but then I need table to get ready for lunch and snack..don't hav luxury of 2 tables!

I already have a double buggy for the days I have 2 littlies, y
The one who can't walk far is a big 6yo so he ain't going in my buggy! He does have his own special buggy as he has mild CP but I can't push 2!
Already spent a fortune and cannot afford buggy board and he would not be balanced enough for it anyway!
Thanks for trying:D

Demonjill
06-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Yes garden would be good if the weather was great but it's raining so hard most days now so we stuck inside most of time. Garden is also getting done up so can't always get out in it.

O well schools go back next week so all sorted then!:thumbsup:

janminder
07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I have the same problem all I have for play area is sitting room and then into the hallway leading to kitchen. So when I have big ones that want to set up things with little bits or play something that little ones would destroy etc I use Babydan configure gates. I have 2 they come in three sections each which is a gate with a section either side and I use them to seperate the room into two I have the babies the side of the hallway which leads to the kitchen so if I have to nip into kitchen I can look over kitchen gate and see them.

Mouse
07-08-2012, 10:56 AM
If you have room to set out different zones it's so much easier.

I tend to only have little ones here usually, but when I do have older ones I set up another room for them and spend my time flitting between the 2 rooms. The children do mix, but the lo's are pretty much kept out of the older ones' room.

If I couldn't do that I wouldn't have older ones as it wouldn't work with them all together, all the time.