PDA

View Full Version : Variation from Sept for ad hoc hours

samb
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Sorry another variation thread!

I'm pretty sure I have got my head around it all but it is still nice to double check so I hope you don't mind me posting?!

I have a child that I only have for ad hoc hours - contract states "0" hours, hours to be booked up to 4 weeks in advance, children with contracted hours must take priority when booking etc... This parent is very understanding when I say no to hours she tries to book that I cannot accomodate however I am thinking that from September it will be ok to take this child as a 4th early years child as long as I keep within my 6 under 8? The reason I agreed the ad hoc terms with this parent was that she wants such short hours for a young child and not the same every week - it is generally 2.5 hours at a time term time max of 3 days but mostly only 1!

sarah707
06-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Yes - with risk assessments in place and as long as other parents are happy about the impact it will have on their child if you have 4 under 5 - then you will be fine to do it as long as you stay within 6 under 8.

The only thing I am wondering is about the RAs and parents because the child comes different days the impact will be different because you will have varying combinations of children.

To cover yourself I suggest you look at the combinations as part of the RA and maybe speak to all possibly affected parents. That will give you a lot more flexibility.

Hth :D

samb
06-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Sarah - yes good idea re the RAs for the different days. I do have what I call "individual child risk assessment" which lists the things to be aware of with each child in my care inlcuding type of car seat needed, if they can safely climb stairs etc so easy enough to combine individual to RA the particular combination of children. Out of my 4 current families I have in the last 2 weeks found out that 3 of them will be leaving me (including this one) to maternity leave. So it is all very temporary anyway. The other 2 in my under 8s are my 2 (who are full time school age from sept) and 2 of the other under 5's already walk the school runs/don't need particular eqpt etc so to me manageable.

In terms of informing/asking parents is it worth doing a letter that states there may be times when my early years numbers are increased to 4 under 5s and that all appropraite risk assessments will be in place to meet the demands of this and if parents wish to view them then they may on request or ask any questions with regard to this to me dircetly. And have some sort of slip to say I have read and understood? (This is what i am thinking I would do) Or do I need to name child and give more details and literally ask permission?