PDA

View Full Version : Another variations question (I know!)

Wendybird
05-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, I can't seem to find it! What is happening to those who work with assistants and have variations for more than 6 children? I'm just considering options for expanding the business down the road. I'd like to remain a childminder and will still be working from home, but considering taking on assistants and would like to take on more children. Obviously I know that space will be taken into consideration. Will childminders be allowed over 6 with assistants?

christine e
05-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, I can't seem to find it! What is happening to those who work with assistants and have variations for more than 6 children? I'm just considering options for expanding the business down the road. I'd like to remain a childminder and will still be working from home, but considering taking on assistants and would like to take on more children. Obviously I know that space will be taken into consideration. Will childminders be allowed over 6 with assistants?

You need to refer to section 10 of the attached Ofsted factsheet

christine e
05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
You need to refer to section 10 of the attached Ofsted factsheet

Not letting me upload for some reason

here is the link to Ofsted's factsheet
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-providers-early-years-and-childcare-registers-may-c

sarah707
05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
EYFS requirement 3.41 covers assistants

If a childminder employs an assistant or works with another childminder, each childminder (or assistant) may care for the number of children permitted by the ratios specified above (subject to any restrictions imposed by Ofsted on registration).

Children may be left in the sole care of childminders’ assistants for 2 hours at most in a single day (The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008 specifies that where provision is made for a particular child for two hours or less a day, the carer is exempt from registration as a childminder).

Childminders must obtain parents and/or carers’ permission to leave children with an assistant, including for very short periods of time.

For childminders providing overnight care, the ratios continue to apply and the childminder must always be able to hear the children (this may be via a monitor).

Hth :D

Wendybird
05-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Thank you both, that is exactly what I needed thanks :thumbsup: