PDA

View Full Version : getting a puppy......

Libby08
04-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi, another question from me!
We have wanted a dog for a long time. H and I grew up always having dogs, we had our own dog until our son was a toddler but had to rehome him as our new home wasn't suitable for a toddler and dog. We are the point now where we feel our own children are old enough for us to have a family dog. Do I have to ask parents if they are happy first or can I tell them once we get one? Obviously I will have all RAs etc in place and its own area in garden, also when indoors it will be kept seperate from children but I would like the children to spend some time with it so they are confident around it. I only have 2 mindees at the moment, one is leaving in 4 weeks so not an issue with them. We are visiting a pup tonight but we haven't even told our children yet as we want to be sure of the pup/breeder first. So, should I ask parents first or not? Tia.

Pipsqueak
04-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I have three dogs - two of them are additions within the last year (we lost one earlier this year)
I was established as a minder with dogs from the get-go.

getting the new pups, we didn't ask the clients. We just done and told everyone afterwards.
Obviously I had pet RA's in place blah blah I have just readjusted to suit new dogs.

Seeing as you didn't have dogs I would mention it first to clients. Just think though - what are you going to do if parent says no I don't want you to?

VINASOL
04-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Not being a dog owner previously, I was concerned about getting a dog/puppy. I told parents that this was what I was planning, but did point out that our puppy would not be joining us in the playgroom...it might be because I have an ESS who are very 'sprightly' let's say :laughing:

Even one parent who hates dogs was OK as she didn't want her kids to be the same...however, it is a LOT harder than I thought it would be: managing a puppy and six children :blush:

BUT from a personal FAMILY point of view: it's the best decision I've ever made.

Boris
04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I didn't ask the parents when I got my pup in June. I emailed them all with a photo the night we brought him home, along with a little bit of waffle to reassure them about the safety of their children!! It was jubilee banks hols so I had extra days off to settle him in before kids came back. None of the parents had any concerns, thank goodness.

It is hard work having a puppy and the mindees, I have 6 too. There were things I hadn't thought of, like my garden is accessed through the playroom so I was having to carry the dog to and from the garden for wee stops all the time, in the bad weather it was a nightmare because he would get soaked and muddy and have to be dried off! He's ok now though, much more manageable but still crazy!

Go for it, although he is a pain sometimes, I don't regret our decision. I do get paranoid that my house semlls of dog though hahaha!

mummyof3
04-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't ask a parents permission to have another baby so I won't ask for permission to get a dog. My house my decisions and my rules. It may sound harsh but I already feel my life is taken over by the job too much as it is.

Good luck with your new puppy they are hard work but so worth it :D

Libby08
05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Well, my h went to look at the pup and bought him and brought him straight home! It was a bit of a surprise that it happened so quickly but it made the decision for me! I did text the parent to let them know we got a puppy but Ive got a bad feeling about it as they didn't really say much in reply, but I will see how they are in the morning. I hope its not a problem for them as they are a lovely family and I would hate to loose the child as she's lovely but I feel like I'm alway saying no to everything at home at the moment because of my job! What will be will be I suppose.
I'm just hoping I haven't broken any 'rules' by not asking 'permission' first? There is nothing that says we won't get pets without permission is there?

bunyip
05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
You're almost certainly perfectly entitled to do it without consulting parents. Personally, though, if I were a client parent, I'd be miffed that it wasn't mentioned in advance, but that's your call.

Just be sure to put a risk assessment in place.

I was speaking with a local nursery manager just last week. She had just had an unscheduled inspection from Ofsted, because someone put in a complaint because a dog was being taken into the setting.

Fortunately the NM already had the RA ready. In fact, NM was justifiably miffed because Ofsted saw the RA at the previous routine inspection. Heaven knows what it costs to send an inspector to check that a piece of paper they have already seen is still there. (...and they say they need to save money by no longer processing variations.)

Boris
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Aw congratulations on becoming a doggy mummy! Let's see a pic!

Don't worry, the parents will be fine. I just make sure that my pup is either in his crate or in the garden when parents drop off and pick up. I think most of them have forgotten we have a dog! :)

Libby08
05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I have a playpen with a soft crate in my bedroom (mindees don't go in our room anyway) so she will not be running round when the mindees are here. I did a risk assessment and pets policy today, do I need anything else? I have records of her jabs, flea and Worming etc. Next time I'm on the pc I will try to add a photo!