PDA

View Full Version : Car seats/boosters

Kalila
12-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Hello all,

I just wanted to ask a quick question.....

I've got 2 children - 7 & 9 yr old drop off/pick up at school.
There mum doesn't use any booster seats just seat belt - is this sufficient? Or do I need to supply a booster seat for them both?
I've looked on the car seat standard website but still a bit unsure of whether I need to use one.
Not sure if the seat belt is okay on it's own.

Thanks x

berkschick
12-06-2008, 08:36 AM
It depends on how tall the children are, not their age.

I cant remember the correct height but my 7 year old is a tall boy but he still needs a booster. My nearly 11 year old is ok without.

sarah707
12-06-2008, 08:40 AM
This site gives a complete overview of ages and heights for different car seats.

Hope it helps! :D

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

Kalila
12-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for tips xx

tulip0803
12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
As a general rule all children under the age of 12 should be in a car seat. It is only when they get to a certain height 135 cm or the age of 12 that they should no longer sit in a car seat. this is LAW as SarahNev says. My DD1 is above average height at 10 and has not been in a car seat since before the rules came in. Our school arranged for a policeman to come with a measuring stick and sent a letter home with each child stating whether they needed a seat or not:) .

FizzysFriends
12-06-2008, 06:04 PM
DD is having a count down here as she doesn't like having to sit on her booster (its not grown up enough). She has 9cms to go

Cazz
12-06-2008, 11:23 PM
DD is having a count down here as she doesn't like having to sit on her booster (its not grown up enough). She has 9cms to go

My two are the same! Trouble is they're 10 year old twins and dd is small and not tall enough yet and ds has just reached the height requirement! I don't feel it's fair to let him stop using a booster seat as they're twins so I insist they both have one. I feel happier anyway as the belt is not near his neck and I do explain this to him. They can also see out of the windows much better but they won't admit that to me!

Carole x

FizzysFriends
13-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Dont tell him his height when you measure him, take off a cm and he wont know, lol.

My DD turned 6 less than a week ago, I think its gonna be a couple of years yet before shes off it, I haven't told her that though cos 9cms is more of a measurable target for her.

jaja
14-06-2008, 03:11 PM
i make sure each child uses a seat with me until they are 12, they dont like it but i am only making sure that i am covered, many of the parents are all happy for there children in boosters so it doesnt bother me. good luck xxx

manjay
14-06-2008, 05:36 PM
My 8 year old dd is tall enough not to use one but still does most of the time if I have one spare. i always think the seatbelt looks too close to their neck even if they are tall enough.