PDA

View Full Version : Obs and planning for a 5 year old?

Bexboo1
03-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Am I right in thinking that a child starting Year 1 in September is out of the Early Years and I don't have to do obs and planning for that child?

Or should I still be following the child's interests? Will Ofsted want to see things on that child?

Getting myself really confused now :panic:

sarah707
03-08-2012, 01:17 PM
From Sept 1st when a child comes to you for before and after school or holiday only care you do not need to deliver the full EYFS.

You need to show you have spoken to other setting and parents about how you can meet the child's needs.

Hth :D

Bexboo1
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks Sarah.

So is it about talking to school teacher about what they are learning at school and how I can feed that into my activities.

And also, working with parents still to find out their interests at home, achievements etc so that I can follow that interest in my setting?

Just out of interest where you put this information? The lj will have gone with them with all obs etc in.

Thank You

sarah707
03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks Sarah.

So is it about talking to school teacher about what they are learning at school and how I can feed that into my activities.

And also, working with parents still to find out their interests at home, achievements etc so that I can follow that interest in my setting?

Just out of interest where you put this information? The lj will have gone with them with all obs etc in.

Thank You

You are welcome!

Most children will need a calming quiet atmosphere where they can relax and chill - that will be how you complement their learning.

However, some academic schools might expect children to read books and do other studying and if you care for them until almost bedtime that might come within your remit.

Then you would need to sit and chat to parents and work out who does what and how it will all fit together... plus as you say following their interests so they are not bored and restless.

I have a file for each of my children and I intend to put something in that about discussions with school / parents because as you rightly say the LJ will have gone home :D

Bexboo1
03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Thank you, again!!!

You make things make sense.:laughing:

I think in that case I will stop the majority of obs etc, but will still hold a file for school children and put in wow moments or anything I feel they have done particularly well etc plus like you said any conversations etc from home and school.

sarah707
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I think in that case I will stop the majority of obs etc, but will still hold a file for school children and put in wow moments or anything I feel they have done particularly well etc plus like you said any conversations etc from home and school.

Sounds good to me! :D

blue bear
03-08-2012, 07:30 PM
From Sept 1st when a child comes to you for before and after school or holiday only care you do not need to deliver the full EYFS.

You need to show you have spoken to other setting and parents about how you can meet the child's needs.

As the child is in year one not reception do we still have to work with schools,I thought o ce out of reception we didn't have to but is good practice.

sarah707
04-08-2012, 07:04 AM
As the child is in year one not reception do we still have to work with schools,I thought o ce out of reception we didn't have to but is good practice.

If the child is no longer in the early years age group then they are no longer in the EYFS - and the Childcare Register requirements apply.

kat27
12-08-2012, 11:48 AM
So it still stands that we do obs untill aug 31st after the child's fifth birthday?

kat x

sarah707
12-08-2012, 02:09 PM
So it still stands that we do obs untill aug 31st after the child's fifth birthday?

kat x

No, once a child is in full time 10 sessions a week school we no longer have to deliver the full EYFS.

We must speak to parents and school about how we are supporting the child and complementing their education.

hth :D