PDA

View Full Version : music licence

lulubelle
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
help, i have just had a letter saying i may need a music licence for my bussiness, do childminders need them? i dont really play much recorded music to the children, apart from a nursery rhyme cd etc in the car. Other than that all we really do is make our own music/sing our own songs. Oh and occasionally watch something on cbeebies!

sarah707
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
No you do not need a music licence if you use music to educate children (as childminders do).

This was clarified some time ago by PPL the music licencing authority.

You will find official guidance in free downloads here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/pplguidance.html

Please can you let me know who is saying you need a licence and I will make sure they are updated with the correct information! If you'd rather not say on the forum please pm me!

Thank you :D

lulubelle
03-08-2012, 01:02 PM
i recieved a letter from a company called prs for music, i have called them and the man i spoke to said yes i do as i would class as a nursery or pre school, i was sure i remembered reading on here that i didnt so i said that and he is checking with his boss and will call me back.

sarah707
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Oh yes I forgot there are 2 music licencing companies.

We clarified at the same time as making sure we didn't need a PPL one that we didn't need a PRS licence either.

I am sure it was because we work from home with just a few children and we are not educational establishments (like nurseries, schools etc)...

There was definitely a get out clause which meant we didn't need one unless the criteria has changed in which case we can fight it again.

Maybe Penny will remember or Rickysmiths I know her husband was supportive helping to sort it out at the time :D

Penny1959
03-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Oh yes I forgot there are 2 music licencing companies.

We clarified at the same time as making sure we didn't need a PPL one that we didn't need a PRS licence either.

I am sure it was because we work from home with just a few children and we are not educational establishments (like nurseries, schools etc)...

There was definitely a get out clause which meant we didn't need one unless the criteria has changed in which case we can fight it again.

Maybe Penny will remember or Rickysmiths I know her husband was supportive helping to sort it out at the time :D

I will have to dig out the details Sarah - but I am sure that PRS one was NOT needed - however the 'rules' may have changed.

Penny :)

Donkey
03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
will they ever leave us alone??????????????????????

get em sarah and penny!!!

lulubelle
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
a friend has just said its £400 so i really hope we dont need it because that will be enough to convince me to give up minding!!! None of my local friends have even heard about it!

lulubelle
03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
a friend has just said its £400 so i really hope we dont need it because that will be enough to convince me to give up minding!!! None of my local friends have even heard about it!

lulubelle
03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
omg they havent got a clue!!! i am on the phone to them again and speaking to someone else he has said if you work from home you dont need it! i asked why other person said i did and he has now gone to ask his boss...

lulubelle
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Right he has now confirmed that if the whole house or a large area of the house is used for minding then we dont need it BUT if the children where only in ONE room, IE PLAYROOM then one would be needed!

catlyn
03-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Right he has now confirmed that if the whole house or a large area of the house is used for minding then we dont need it BUT if the children where only in ONE room, IE PLAYROOM then one would be needed!

thats daft?? is it not the other ay around?? surely if the whole house was used then a licence possibly could be needed???

Donkey
03-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I *think* its to do with sole use of rooms...

if you had a designated area that is *only* used for minding I.E a purpose used playroom then you would need a PRS license

but we don't have a 'designated' playroom do we???

the playroom is converted into a family room at the weekends.............. isn't it???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ant_h18
04-08-2012, 08:04 AM

if you had a designated area that is *only* used for minding I.E a purpose used playroom then you would need a PRS license

the playroom is converted into a family room at the weekends.............. isn't it???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is indeed :):).

caz3007
04-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Hehehhe right now I have my ironing board set up in the room which we use for a playroom. It is a lounge though really and we eat our dinner in it and hubby was watching the olympics last night....so not a designated playroom :)

LittleLegsCM
04-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Our playroom was originally built for my son who is only 22 months. Although, he always gets the toys he wants and takes them in the lounge to play (which doesnt please his daddy as he built it for him lol) I certainly wont be paying someone £400 to use a room in my own home!!

It also gets used as my sewing room when I actually get any spare time!!

KarenM
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I also convinced them I didn't need one as I would play my CD from upstairs that isn't registered for minding - and I can't help it if the children overhear it can I?