PDA

View Full Version : Child bitten whilst in my care!

Childminder in Kent
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I had taken M (minded) who is 17 months and my son who is 13 months to a session at the library today. Whilst there, M was bitten badly by another child (F). I feel so bad although there wouldn't have been anything I could have done to stop it.
We were sitting in a carpeted area singing, I had both children no more than a metre away from me. Child F kept taking a toy from my son, but his mum was telling him no and returing the toy to my son. You know when you have a feeling that something will happen - well I thought that my son would maybe get hit or something by F because he was getting frustrated, but because his mum was dealing with his behaviour, I didn't think I should intervene. Well it seemed like F had given up and was going to find a different toy. As he crawled round the back of my son past where M was sitting he bit her on the arm. He wasn't provoked. His mum immediatley removed him whilst I gave First Aid to M.
It is a VERY bad bite. She had a ring of deep teeth marks which went very red. After 3 hours it was still the worst bite I have seen a child do - and I have worked with children for 20 years.
On a plus M was fine afterwards and Mum is Ok about it but I still feel terrible.

Pipsqueak
02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Don't beat yourself up, its happens and its really sounds like it was a situation that was beyond your control.

Poor bairn though it must be sore but kids are tough and they get over these things better than what we do.

Make sure everything is documented and signed up by you and parent.

Sending a huggy your way and some garlic....

Childminder in Kent
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks,
No I know there wasn't anything I could do - I just hope M's parents feel the same!
Mum was ok about it - Very cross - but not with me, just the situation. I have had four children and think you come to realise that 'these things happen' but as M is a first child, her parents have yet to learn that.
Mum said dad was really angry, I think at me although she didn't say that in so many words.......

Hermitcrab
02-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi, I've been lurking on these forums for a long while but never got round to registering before, however I had to post a reply to your thread, as the same thing happened to me some years ago. A baby in my care (no more than three months old) was bitten just below the eye bye a toddler at a group we were attending. I thought the child was giving him a kiss. It left the most horrendous mark and I felt absolutely dreadful. I know exactly how you are feeling! Though his mum was OK at pick-up time, I suffered all over the weekend, and on the Monday he was forty five minutes late arriving. I was convinced he wasn't coming back, though he did get here in the end.

I considered giving up childminding over the weeks that followed because although the parents didn't make a fuss about it, they were quite new clients and I was worried they wouldn't be able to trust me any more.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, he's now six and my longest standing mindee, I have an excellent relationship with him and his parents. I totally sympathise with the way you are feeling, but I'm sure it will all be fine. These things do happen!

Chimps Childminding
03-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Its hard!!! I have "a biter" at the moment! We watch him like a hawk, but even then he still manages to get someone sometimes when you think they are playing nicely - usually over a toy!!!

Luckily all parents have been very good about it. I am hoping that as he starts to talk more (he is 20 months) he will be less frustrated and stop it :rolleyes:

hectors house
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
I had the same thing happen at a toddler group many years ago but because the mindee who was bitten had previously been scratched on the face by another mindee in my care and the parents had made a complaint to me - I was so worried that they would think it was the other mindee again that I asked the mother of the biter if I could have her phone number so attacked mindees parents would check story if they didn't believe me.

Childminder in Kent
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Hermitcrab,
Thanks for replying and welcome :-)

I had M again today, she still has a bit of a mark - but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. Mum was fine about it, she had obviously spoken to friends with children who reassured her that yes 'these things happen'.
Im feeling a lot better about it now :-)