PDA

View Full Version : dried pasta and rice

BuggsieMoo
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi All
Ive used dried pasta and rice previously, but would like to use them again but make them lots of different colours. Does anyone know how I do this without ending up with food colouring coming off?
Thanks all

butterfly
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Yep! Put the pasta or rice in a zip loc bag. Squirt in a few drops of colouring (not too many at first) and a large splodge of antibac hand wash (the type you use to wash your hands without water). Then give it a really good mix! It takes a little while and with rice especially you think it's just glooping in one area but keep mixing and shaking and it will even out. Then tip out on to kitchen roll to dry.

I find Silver Spoon colourings are best as they dont stain hands or clothes. None of my colours have ever come off the pasta except black so you might want to be careful with that!

lisa1968
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
put rice in a food bag,add colouring and shake until the rice is all covered. spread on a baking tray and put in a warm oven until dry.

cockatoos
02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I did this with rice a few weeks back. Mix together some vinegar and food colouring, then add the rice and mix well. Cook in oven at 50 degrees C for about 30 mins until dried out. Makes really vivid colours! Make sure you don't use too much vinegar though - I did and it smelt a bit like a chip shop!!!

miffy
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I've always just used the food colouring on its own - as long as you don't put too much food colouring in and leave to dry thoroughly before use it shouldn't come off on hands or clothes.

Miffy xx

ajs
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I've always just used the food colouring on its own - as long as you don't put too much food colouring in and leave to dry thoroughly before use it shouldn't come off on hands or clothes.

Miffy xx

Snap, use liquid colouring though not paste. That does come off on your hands :)

BuggsieMoo
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Snap, use liquid colouring though not paste. That does come off on your hands :)

Do you mean the little bottles you can buy from the supermarket?

ajs
02-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Do you mean the little bottles you can buy from the supermarket?

Yes just ordinary food colouring, my daughter bought some paste which is in a little tub and goes on like a cream which is useless for colouring rice or pasta as it clumps. Made nice iced buns though

miffy
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Yes, sorry, I did mean liquid.

Miffy xx