PDA

View Full Version : Speaking to parents before changing conditions of registration - variations

sarah707
02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
A number of childminders have asked for further clarification of this requirement. Here you go!

EYFS 2012 requirement 3.40 - ‘If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby.’

How do you comply with this if you don’t talk to parents? How do you prove the conversation took place if you don’t record it?

Do you think Ofsted will only relate this to changes for babies and not older children if a complaint is made against you?

My document on variations (in free downloads on the Childminding Forum) was checked by Ofsted and consulting with parents was something that was confirmed as required -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/variations2012.html

Penny has also spoken to Ofsted as well – the thread is here -
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=103009

Ofsted said -
‘We think each person considering whether to take on additional children needs to think about:
- The length of time they are providing care
- Whether their furniture and equipment is sufficient
- How they will deliver the learning and development requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage to all the children they care for and help them make the best possible progress
- Informing all parents so that they understand what this might mean for their own child’s care
- How they organise their day so that all children get enough of their time.’

Current requirements -
It is a tick box on the current variation request document to state that parents have been consulted -

G. Discussion with parents
You should discuss your request with parents of minded children. You should make sure they understand how this will impact on their children if granted and seek their views and opinions.

I confirm I have discussed my request with parents of minded children

It is clarified in the new guidance document – page 6 – example 1 – ‘She consults the parent of the two-year-old before agreeing to take the twins.’

Penny and I can only use the EYFS as our guide, check with Ofsted when requested and give best practice advice.

At the end of the day it is up to each childminder to do what they think is best :D

Penny1959
02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
I agree completely with Sarah about getting parents permission and in writing. Not only will it be evidence for Ofsted - it will also support you if a parent decides that they want to put in a complaint about you - and say you are breaking ratios - and had not asked then about an exception. How would you prove they had agreed?

I have posted about the form I have given to parents - which is a generic one giving information about why I will be exceeding ratio's via a exception. The parents sign to say they have had the information and have opportunity to express concerns and ask questions - and that they are confident that I will risk access and meet every child's needs.

I have also written a bit on my blog called Bye, Bye variations, Hello Exceptions
which some of you may find useful.
http://****************************/2012/07/28/bye-bye-variations-hello-exceptions/

Penny :)

mushpea
02-08-2012, 03:23 PM
how will you be informing parents if needed ? would you write them a letter somthing like 'that as of (date) a child who has attended my setting since (date) will be also be attending on a thursday meaning that each thursday I will have 4 under 5's. I have attatched a copy of my risk assesment for this variation so that you can see your children will still recive the same quality of care as they recive now. I am fully confident in my abilities to care for 4 under 5yrs as I know all the children very well and have cared for this amount of children in the past. should you have any questions regarding this variations please let me know'
then ask them to sign to say they have read it
OR
will you just be informing them at the door and saying ' child x will be attending my setting on an extra day meaning I will have 4 under 5's, here is a copy of my risk assesment to prove I can still meet your childs needs and they will still recive the same quality of care.

personaly I think the letter idea is best but then it gives parents more scope to go away , think about it and come back and say they dont want you to do it but with the 2nd option its just a case of this is whats happening.
which do you think is best

sarah707
02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I have posted about the form I have given to parents - which is a generic one giving information about why I will be exceeding ratio's via a exception. The parents sign to say they have had the information and have opportunity to express concerns and ask questions - and that they are confident that I will risk access and meet every child's needs.

Do you remember where that post is Penny? A few members have told me they would find it helpful :D

miffy
02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks Sarah and Penny - I would also like to look at your form/ letter Penny.

My worry is what do you do if one parent says they are not happy - do you make the final decision or do you bow to parents wishes - tricky one methinks.

Miffy xx

Bluebell
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I agree Miffy it is quite tricky - are we asking their permission and getting them to consent or are we simply 'informing' them.
I think it has to be somewhere in between - we are informing them but giving them enough information that they can understand why we ave made the decision.
I would hope they would respect the person that cares for their child and trust them enough to make an important decision like this without refusing to agree but if they express concerns that the person is taking on too much then as a minder perhaps we should take note - particulalry those who are perhaps going to get carried away with the new exceptions!

I have been thinking about it and think I will send a letter stating reasons and the whys and wherefores but making it very clear that they can discuss with me any concerns. And having read above about proving that parents have been informed I will have a copy of the letter that I would get all parents to sign - giving oppotunty at that time to discuss it.

Penny1959
02-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Do you remember where that post is Penny? A few members have told me they would find it helpful :D

I have had a quick look - not that easy on phone - and can't find it. So tomorrow I will post it again.

Miffy mine is a general permission form stated that I intend to exceed normal ratios if needed to meet needs of parents already using my service.

Thinking about it I might need to post the bit that was on my newsletter before I sent form out - as that explains a bit more. As I say will post full details and example forms tomorrow - when have access to computer.

miffy
02-08-2012, 09:43 PM
but if they express concerns that the person is taking on too much then as a minder perhaps we should take note - particulalry those who are perhaps going to get carried away with the new exceptions!

it.

I agree with you but then I think those who are going to get carried away with the new exceptions probably won't be asking parents opinions in the first place.

I am also thinking a letter will be the way to go.

Miffy xx

Bluebell
02-08-2012, 09:48 PM
I those who are going to get carried away with the new exceptions probably won't be asking parents opinions in the first place.

Miffy xx

True! But at least they could back up their madness to Ofsted and say 'but the parents agreed it!'

i think we need an 'exceptions' sub-forum and then we can all explain our situation and get comments and support from other members - we could say no way you must be mad or yes thats a perfect situation!!