PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my garden!

Boris
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
My garden is fairly small and grassed with no borders. Its low maintenance which is good but I would like a planting area for the children and the grass is ruined! The dog has dug holes in it and where the playhouse has been the grass is dead and we have a mass of brown grassy mud! Don't know where to start. I would like to deck some of it but it's so expensive. What do you have in your garden? I need serious inspiration! The photo makes it look better than it actually is!!!

scoobydoo1
01-08-2012, 12:52 PM
What about some wood bark chippings to put where the grass is dead and put the slide and play area there or build a wooden container for children to plant a few veg and then the dog if anything like mine will not ble able to reach and eat or pee on them. You could also make a feature of the tree stumps as a little seating area for storytime in summer or a nature spot x

Happy Bunny
01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
What about some wood bark chippings to put where the grass is dead and put the slide and play area there or build a wooden container for children to plant a few veg and then the dog if anything like mine will not ble able to reach and eat or pee on them. You could also make a feature of the tree stumps as a little seating area for storytime in summer or a nature spot x

You could also put a chalk board up against the wall where the tree stumps are.
I've done this and the kids use it as a pretend school area.

mushpea
01-08-2012, 02:40 PM
we block paved all of ours as I got fed up with not being able to use the grass in the winter and also the dog and cat would walk in the mud. its great cause now we can use the garden all year round, they can chalk on the floor or the fences, its great for building the train tracks on .
prehaps you can have a digging area for the children to dig in and add a mud kitchen to it, if the dog is a pest could you fence of an area just for him/her, my dog has an area down the bottom of the garden with a kennel.

teacake2
01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
That is a huge garden compared to mine, mine is about 1/4 of the size of that
Teacake2

mabel
01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
the children here collected bark, twigs,conkers, pine cones etc and we have made a lovely 'bugs home' the children love it ! hope some bugs do survive and make it their new home !

Boris
01-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Ooooh thank you! Some lovely ideas. I have been looking at artificial grass for the bit where the playhouse is and maybe fence that off so it's like a mini garden with a raised bed for the LO's to dig in. I have been inspired!! :laughing:

sarah707
01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I have a covered patio for the playhouse, a table for crafts, easel etc... I find it easier if the garden is zoned so children know what to expect in different areas.

I find they are less likely - once it's been explained to them a few times, to spoil each others games. :D