PDA

View Full Version : I need advice!

Carls
31-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Please help! This has never ever been a problem in 10 years of minding but is now!
I have had two children pull out and parents refused tolet them come in the 6 week holiday to save money! Now my understanding of my contracts is that the parents pay for hours that they are with me in term time such as 8-9am and 3.30 - 6pm because I wouldnt and cant charge for school hours but when in a school holiday the parents are expected to pay the whole day from 8am - 6pm and if on holiday or not coming then half fee as agreed! I have parents saying that they only have to pay for the 3.5 hours that they would be there during term time! Does this make sense? I said the only way they wouldnt have to pay for holiday is if we agree on a termtime only contract and in that case that I am free to fill the hours of 9 - 3.30 holiday time with other children!
Do others have contrasting view or agree?
I have a parent coming to 'talk' to me about it tomorrow!!!!
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Penny1959
31-07-2012, 07:52 PM
There will be many views on this = and all will be right!

However the bottom line is if the parents have signed your contract - it is whatever is written in your contract - and furthermore the notice period to change or terminate the contract will apply. So even if you agree to change the contract they have to pay the rate as stated in the contract for the notice period - and then the new rate would kick in.

Penny :)

Kiddleywinks
31-07-2012, 07:57 PM
What hours were the original contract for?

Term time:8-9am & 3-6pm
School holidays:8am - 6pm

If that's the case, then yes they can change the contract (obviously as long as that's ok with you) BUT they need to give ADVANCE notice - see your contract as to what you originally agreed, mine is 4 weeks across the board, they can't just decide one day that they no longer need you and expect not to pay the agreed notice period or check whether you are still able/want to accommodate those changes

pillows
31-07-2012, 08:01 PM
I completely agree with Penny as above check contracts and have it ready to show them :)
hope it all works out x

Carls
31-07-2012, 08:39 PM
So if a parent signs a contract to say 8am - 9am 3.30 - 6pm termtime and 8 am - 6pm holiday!
You would expect them to pay the whole 8 - 6pm if the dont come in the holidays?
I need lots of differnt advice please xxx

Carls
31-07-2012, 08:42 PM
And also if thats the case this holiday and they want to change the contract to a termtime only contract to save money then next holiday I can fill the space with someone else?

BuggsieMoo
31-07-2012, 08:45 PM
If your contract says the term time hours and you have not specified within your contract what holiday hours are then you can only charge for the term time hours in the holidays if the space is not used (obviously if used and it goes over the term time hours then you charge for the whole time there are there, if under, for the whole term time hours).

When I write my contracts, I stipulate on the part where it says any other childcare requirements (or something like this under the hours table). School holidays to be x - x.

Good luck x

Carls
31-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I am renewing contracts to make it clear and putting:

'This contract takes into consideration that a child that attends the setting before and after school during term time are expected to attend the whole day during the school holidays unless a term time only contract has been agreed'

Then the hours will be written clearl;y as in term time and holiday hours!!!

macherie
31-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I had the same problem with retainer fees. I changed my contract to say " A retainer fee is required to hold a childs place over school holidays. This will be £?? per day for each child and must be payed in full at beginning of holidays."
Works much better and saves any confusion.

I also had some parents who decided if they were paying half the fees they would send their children for half the normal hours. So I included the clause
"Please remember children are expected to stay at home during the retainer period. If you need me to care for your child during a retainer period I will charge £?? per hour on top of the retainer fee."

HTH
Mandy

karensmart4
01-08-2012, 08:32 AM
In my contracts it say's Hrs ; term time; ....... to ......

and then either; this is a term time only agreement and any additional hours need to be agreed with a min of 14 days notice.

Or;

School closures i.e. holiday time/inset days, hrs; ....... to .......

Any personal holiday/ changes to this agreement or ending of contract must be made in writing giving 4 weeks notice.

I have asked all parents to review/ renew their contracts for this Sept as I've decided to charge full fees for absences including holiday's now.

QualityCare
01-08-2012, 08:53 AM
When filling in my contracts NCMA ones for school age children l divide the contracted hrs section into two TT and H and then fill in both sections, l do the same in the charges section, in the additional notes l put exactly what arrangements are agreed for sch hols ie as and when needed (this often suits me) x amount of notice for dates needed before hols and what will be charged for if child doesn't attend agreed hrs. If you have only written a term time fee and hours on the contract l really don't see that you can expect the parents to pay a whole day fee/retainer only a normal/part fee for contracted hours even if you verbally discussed holiday care, if you have holiday care hrs/days on the contract then yes l would expect the parents to pay as they have asked for that space.