PDA

View Full Version : Watching Olympics with mindees

hectors house
31-07-2012, 01:36 PM
We had a busy morning with free play and painting olympic rings (free hand and printing), so thought we would watch a bit of the olympics on TV. Managed to turn watching Show Jumping on tv into learning experiences - have looked at all the flags and then looked up countries on a globe, comenting on size of country compared to GB and how far away from GB and where we have been on holiday

Have learnt 4 times tables by adding up penalty points for each fence down

Have seen members of royal family in crowd and explained relationship they have to Queen and Zara Phillips

Have sung horse related songs and pretended to be show jumpers jumping jumps (cushions)

Not sure if I should have taught kids to cheer when rival competitors knocked down fences though!

Just been reading my new copy of EYFS development matters - think we covered most areas today -
PSE managing feelings (I was that excited I covered my face with cushion just in case team GB hit a fence)
C & L - listening and attention - we were all glued to screen,
Physical - we enjoyed jumping cushions and painting earlier
Literacy - Reading - could read PEN for penalty on bottom of screen
Maths - Numbers - reading Penalty points and adding them up for each fence down
Shape, space and measure - how big country is on globe compared to GB
Understanding World - different countries, different people, flags etc, different colour horses,
Technology - we even explored the RED button on the remote to see what other sports were on.
Expressive Arts - painting free hand and printing
- being imaginative - singing horse related action songs and pretending to be show jumpers.

May have to watch some other sports later though as horse riding is very much a white person sport, we do live in a small town with a mostly white population so mindees aren't used to a multi cultural society. Last week when mindee was colouring in an olympic cycling picture, I suggested that he coloured in some of the cyclists and spectators in crowd, black and he said all the black people lived in Africa - so need to work on that with him!

rickysmiths
31-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Oh we were watching as well.

Not quite the interaction I have a 14mth old and a very unswitched on 3yr old but we had fun watching and talking about the horses, the Royal Family what the different jumps were meant to be.

They have enjoyed watching the canoeing as well.

sweets
31-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I put it on to watch with my 3 year old mindee and she fell asleep within 5 mins! lol so decided to come on here instead, oh well its a nice break.

will try again to watch it with them tommorrow :laughing:

desiderata
31-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I think its good to watch with the children its history in the making too !! we watched the gymnastics yesterday ( cos we know Kristian ) and my just 3 year old mindee watched in amazement as he did his floor routine and mindee came out with " I cant do any of that !! "

WibbleWobble
31-07-2012, 02:28 PM
we watched the cross country section yesterday....was great cos i used to do eventing so i found some of my old stuff and photos and the mindees were very impressed!

the kids liked the different jumps...i just reminisced!:D

Katiekoo
31-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I think its good to watch with the children its history in the making too !! we watched the gymnastics yesterday ( cos we know Kristian ) and my just 3 year old mindee watched in amazement as he did his floor routine and mindee came out with " I cant do any of that !! "

Kristian did amazingly well, they all did! Children here are loving it! The jumping today was really good :)

kel1983
31-07-2012, 04:01 PM
We watched the diving yesterday. The 2 lo's I had decided to then recreate the scene in our lounge. Jumping off a low stall onto a blue blanket which had become the water.

Today we had the horse jumping. We had 2 older children today who set up a mini olypics in the garden.