PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever pulled out of the diploma training?

jadavi
30-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I am trying to pull out of the nvq 3 cypops training on the grounds that my workload has increaed due to having to care for my partner who has parkinsons. My assessor agrees that I should end the course which started last May (I already got approved for the EYPS) but it is in the hands of the head honcho at the county council office.
Does anyone have any idea if they might forego the financial payback based on compassonate grounds?

jadavi
30-07-2012, 08:58 PM
He was my assistant and did a lot round the house as back up but that has all stopped now. I have taken a day off a week to cope and am building up to another day off a week when my parents can accommodate this. Do you think the council will be sympathetic to my situ?

blue bear
30-07-2012, 09:03 PM
When I started my nvq4 I had looked at doing a degree, I contacted the council and grant/funding providers. I was reassured if I pulled out of a degree or nvq course due to my child's ill health (serious) I would not be made to pay back the funding. I ended up doing the nvq4 because it was shorter and was fortunate enoughh not to need to pull out.
the cpuncil people are human, I'm sure they will understand and not penalise you.

rickysmiths
30-07-2012, 09:35 PM
I do feel for you.
But you must have almost finished would it be an idea for the finish time to be extended? It seems a shame when you must have done so much work already, I started mine last March and finished last week.

or ask if some of the Units you haven't yet done could be done orally via a professional discussion with your tutor at home, I did this on my Diploma Course when I had issues last year and I did the last 3 units this way just last week.

My tutor sent me some question sheets to read through and make notes on and then these were what she questioned me on and recorded the answers. We did 3 Units last Thursday. My Training company were very good about it. It made the whole thing less daunting for me as well.

jadavi
30-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks. I have only done two units and was in the 18 month pathway. One of the probs is I keep having tO resubmit the essays and it's a real pain - very nit picky and tbh I'm not learning anything and the home visits are not supportive but critical / judgemental and after all my assessment recently (Ofsted, Eyps setting tour and rag) I really just want to enjoy the children unimpeded as it were now. My assessor was planning to visit me at 7am to watch ke do my health and safety check!! I am so exhausted with the upset at home re husbands condition I simply cannot be doing with this... It's clear i don't need it after my recent rating. Fingers crossed anyway xx

rickysmiths
31-07-2012, 08:45 AM
What kind of a Human being is your Assessor for goodness sake :eek:

Why on earth is she coming to your house at 7am anyway, I have never heard of that, but in your circumstances that is the height of insensitivity. I had at one point to discuss what I do and a number of my RAs were put into my folder as evidence. The earliest my assessor ever came to my house was 10am and the time was always arranged to fit in with me as well as her.

Who are you doing the training with? I think I would be complaining about the assessor to them and as for a change. Also why has she not supported you through your Units I am surprised they have not wanted more completed in in the time (did you start May 2012?)

I have never been academic and the last time I did a long course was over 20yrs ago. I found the Units laborious and repetitive. Having said that I completed the CYPOP 5 the Unit new CMs do, in 6 hours and that is one of the longest. There is another on Communication, Development and Learning that is similar in length. The others are 2-3 hours work and if they are done verbally take about 30mins of questioning when you have made some notes.

In your circumstances your company should be able to support you to do most of the Units Verbally and then fill in some grids to cover facts like legislation, theorists etc.

I would also speak to your Early Years Dept about it because they have selected a Company and Funded them to deliver a Course that they are plainly not doing.

Such a shame to feel you need to give up due to this woman and companies poor management.

Take care of yourself. If I can be of any help just pm me.

jadavi
31-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your outrage!! I think I must be talking about another course. Its the 'level three diploma for children and young people's workforce.' I opted for the 18 month not 12 month duration thinking mistakenly that I would value the visits and support. We have to complete a unit a month.
I am going to approach the Early years lead advisor who will make the decision re the payback or not.

I appreciate your support.

Re the early start she said it was the best way to see risk assessing and then greeting parents and starting off the session and she always did it....

moggy
31-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Thank you for your outrage!! I think I must be talking about another course. Its the 'level three diploma for children and young people's workforce.' I opted for the 18 month not 12 month duration thinking mistakenly that I would value the visits and support. We have to complete a unit a month.
I am going to approach the Early years lead advisor who will make the decision re the payback or not.

I appreciate your support.

Re the early start she said it was the best way to see risk assessing and then greeting parents and starting off the session and she always did it....

I have just passed my Level 3, the same one as you are doing. I would consider changing supplier if possible- that sounds unreasonable. I finished all written work in 3 months (had 6mths to do it in) with only 1x 1hr visit by the assessor for the things that had to be observed rather than written (at a time that suited me!). I agree with rickysmith, some units I did in just a couple of evenings on the PC and should not too stressful especially with your Ofsted grading, there is a lot of copy-paste as they units repeat themselves all over the place. I'd be seriously questioning your provider and asking THEM how THEY are going to support you through a difficult time. Or get off this course and try another provider another time. Take care of yourself, though, if it is not a priority then just go for the compassionate grounds to drop out.

blue bear
31-07-2012, 06:27 PM
What kind of a Human being is your Assessor for goodness sake :eek:

Why on earth is she coming to your house at 7am anyway, I have never heard of that, but in your circumstances that is the height of insensitivity. I had at one point to discuss what I do and a number of my RAs were put into my folder as evidence. The earliest my assessor ever came to my house was 10am and the time was always arranged to fit in with me as well as her.

Who are you doing the training with? I think I would be complaining about the assessor to them and as for a change. Also why has she not supported you through your Units I am surprised they have not wanted more completed in in the time (did you start May 2012?)

I have never been academic and the last time I did a long course was over 20yrs ago. I found the Units laborious and repetitive. Having said that I completed the CYPOP 5 the Unit new CMs do, in 6 hours and that is one of the longest. There is another on Communication, Development and Learning that is similar in length. The others are 2-3 hours work and if they are done verbally take about 30mins of questioning when you have made some notes.

In your circumstances your company should be able to support you to do most of the Units Verbally and then fill in some grids to cover facts like legislation, theorists etc.

I would also speak to your Early Years Dept about it because they have selected a Company and Funded them to deliver a Course that they are plainly not doing.

Such a shame to feel you need to give up due to this woman and companies poor management.

Take care of yourself. If I can be of any help just pm me.

Totally agree, I have done two nvq courses that were run like rickysmiths describe, no way should your assessor be making such unreasonable requests, does she know what she is doing, how many chi,dminders has she assessed in the past?