PDA

View Full Version : Potty training my own DD

Two Princesses
30-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Background:
We started potty training DD2 (2.5 yr) last week, purely by accident :clapping: but now I'm stuck!
On Friday she was running round the garden 'in the naked nudey rudey :laughing:' as I wasn't working and she asked to go for a wee so I got the potty and she went. Since then we have been at home most of the time or at nanny's house and she's been without knickers (just dress or skirt) so totally unrestricted. She doesn't always tell me she needs a wee/poo but she always goes on the potty (over the weekend it's been on a mat in the lounge within easy access). When we've been in the car or she's gone down for a nap I've put a nappy on. Yesterday morning I tried to put knickers on and (as I feared) she had her first accident (:() This morning I put knickers on and she got half way to the potty and sat down and said sorry as she'd started and couldn't stop.
Dilemma:
1. How do I get knickers on her?!? When she's 'free down there' I think she gets more feeling and as soon as she's wearing anything, whether it be knickers or nappy, she forgets (?) to go.
2. Where do I put the potty? I live in a bungalow and it's all open plan. I obviously have to move it out of the lounge :laughing: but not sure if I should just go the whole hog and put it in the bathroom. Today I tried moving it towards the hall but mindee (12mo) thought it was a toy! As we've had a day out today at another minders I chose to put a nappy on but I think I'm going to confuse her if I do that too much :(

PS, I don't remember having these problems with DD1! All help greatly appriciated :thumbsup:

moggy
30-07-2012, 07:53 PM
DS2 spent several weeks with no pants as he had same issue- he was OK with trousers on, just with no pants! Have you tried that?
If you are only in the first 7 days or so it is still VERY early days, don't expect too much but stick with it if you feel she is getting there (so avoid nappies/pull-ups except for naps/night and maybe in the car).
We had a big sturdy potty with a hinged lid, made clear it was not a toy and the younger ones learned not to touch, novelty will wear off.

funemnx
30-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Maybe, when she has got pants on you can remind her regularly to go and she might get the hang of having pants on but using the potty? :)

Two Princesses
30-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I do realise it's very early days (and I'm very proud of her for no accidents whilst naked) but I'm worried that I made it difficult for her by keeping the knickers off at the start iyswim:(
I think a sturdier potty would be a good idea, will have a look around :)
I think I'll just spend the week at home and see how we go. I just don't want to make it harder for her (and me!) or put her back in nappies.

Thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

blue bear
30-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Definetly don't put nappies on her when awake. Stay home and put potty in the bathroom. Remind her regularly even let her wee in potty still wearing knickers if she can't wait, I always think by doing it naked just means you have to teach lo twice. A week of staying in should be the trick.

Two Princesses
31-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Well today we've been inside (raining anyway so it's an easier decision!) and I've got the potty in the bathroom and DD is wearing tracky bottoms with no knickers. So far we've had one small accident where she couldn't open the door properly so started just outside the door but finished on the potty with trousers down. :thumbsup:
I'm very proud of her :clapping:

Thanks for the advice