PDA

View Full Version : Totally gobsmacked!

WibbleWobble
30-07-2012, 12:14 PM
and speechless....which is not like me is it?

We went to the park today and as we were approaching the playground area i noticed three women sitting on the roundabout surrounded by children smoking their heads off....there were children on the roundabout and some in buggies round the the roundabout.

they stood up and threw their butts on the floor.....turned round and they had "registered childminder" and the name of the setting on the back of their coats!!!!!

i was speechless!

They got all the children together and then walked off....

as i said.....gobsmacked

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 12:16 PM
and speechless....which is not like me is it?

We went to the park today and as we were approaching the playground area i noticed three women sitting on the roundabout surrounded by children smoking their heads off....there were children on the roundabout and some in buggies round the the roundabout.

they stood up and threw their butts on the floor.....turned round and they had "registered childminder" and the name of the setting on the back of their coats!!!!!

i was speechless!

They got all the children together and then walked off....

as i said.....gobsmacked

OMG!!!
:eek::eek::eek:
speechless!!

Penny1959
30-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Once you are able to speak after this shock - a call to Ofsted I think as you know name of setting

Penny

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Once you are able to speak after this shock - a call to Ofsted I think as you know name of setting

Penny

Good idea!!:thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
30-07-2012, 12:21 PM
i have tried looking them up on t'internet but cant find them. the only one with the same name is 40 miles away and i dont think it will be them.

catlyn
30-07-2012, 12:22 PM
try your local family information services...they have lists of local childminders so might know who they are??

Ripeberry
30-07-2012, 12:34 PM
They need reporting. Pity you didn't get a sneaky photo in as well. That kind of behaviour puts all of us in a bad light :mad:

WibbleWobble
30-07-2012, 12:38 PM
try your local family information services...they have lists of local childminders so might know who they are??

i have looked everywhere....the only place with the same name is far away 9and one of those is someone on here!!!) so i am sure its not them.

i saw a cm friend there and she said i shouldve asked for a card or something on the premise i was looking for care. TBH i am not that good an actor!

we waited ages for them to walk back past us but didnt and we had to come home...

gobsmacked i tell ya, gobsmacked!

FussyElmo
30-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Have you not got a early years team? Try ringing them :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
30-07-2012, 12:57 PM
That is really bad. I'm not surprised they don't have a web site they wouldn't want to be found by the sounds of it. :eek:

hectors house
30-07-2012, 01:12 PM
How terrible, to advertise such bad practice, I do hope you manage to trace them to report them. I don't think anyone should be allowed to smoke in the park - even if it is outside, it is still a public place purpose built for children!

I went to the park today with 3 mindees and met 2 other mindees with their mum - we arrived at the same time as another childminder who plonked her backside on a seat and chatted for nearly an hour on her mobile while her 3 mindees played on play equipment that was in my opinion too old for them. I was very quick to point out to the mindees mum that this other minder was an example of bad practice - I know that kids sometimes need you to step back so they can figure things out for themselves, but this minder wasn't even watching them - she wouldn't have known if they fell off the climbing frame or if they all went out the gate!

caz3007
30-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I would be gobsmacked too, I think a CM shouldnt smoke in front of children, its setting a bad example for starters

EmmaReed84
30-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I can be quite sneaky when I want/need to be, I would have tried to strike a conversation with them (when no one was looking, wouldn't want to be associated with them lol) just to get some info, you know general chit chat that sort of thing... not giving my details, or perhaps fibbing on somethings like my name... (hoping a child doesn't run over shouting "EMMMMMMA" only to get... "I thought you said your name was Joyce" :laughing:

Then I would have reported them :thumbsup:

It is no wonder parents worry about choosing a CM, when these kind of people are out there giving all of us a bad name :angry:

How funny would it be, if they were a member of this forum and reading this post lol

watgem
30-07-2012, 01:54 PM
thats shocking I hope you manage to find out who they are and report them

WibbleWobble
30-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I can be quite sneaky when I want/need to be, I would have tried to strike a conversation with them (when no one was looking, wouldn't want to be associated with them lol) just to get some info, you know general chit chat that sort of thing... not giving my details, or perhaps fibbing on somethings like my name... (hoping a child doesn't run over shouting "EMMMMMMA" only to get... "I thought you said your name was Joyce" :laughing:

Then I would have reported them :thumbsup:

It is no wonder parents worry about choosing a CM, when these kind of people are out there giving all of us a bad name :angry:

How funny would it be, if they were a member of this forum and reading this post lol

i would hope they were not a member of this forum....but if they are reading this..shame on you.

beachgirl29
31-07-2012, 05:40 PM
terrible....should come under the not suitable to be a childminder as they are role models to the kids and putting the kids health at risk!

jumpinjen
31-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I thought it was a legal requirement that we didn't smoke around the children? I have plenty of times asked teenagers and other parents not to smoke in the playground right by the swings where I am pushing one child and have a baby in a buggy maybe - sounds like they work for one of those 'home based childcare' operations as employees to me if there were three together with the same logo - that would help narrow it down as there aren't so many do that - I would pass the info on the the DO and see if they can work it out - agree totally awful! I hope a parent goes by one day and sees them and they get scuttled over it:angry:

charleyfarley
31-07-2012, 05:55 PM
OMG!!!
:eek::eek::eek:
speechless!!

That's exactly how I was!!!!

What a great portrayal of childminders they are, Netmums would have a field day with that!!!!! :eek:

Carol xx

migimoo
31-07-2012, 06:43 PM
I thought it was a legal requirement that we didn't smoke around the children?

I was told this during my training too though I would have thought it would be obvious!!...I am a smoker myself but would NEVER smoke when working,I hate the fact that I smoke and would be ashamed to be seen smoking whilst around ANY children not just those i'm being paid to look after:blush:,(I stand in the garden at home in the evenings shivering and looking sad:()

I have a smoking policy which states that if anyone wishes to smoke when visiting my home they would be asked to smoke away from the house,eg,over the road where the children can't see them.
As most of you have said not only are they damaging the childrens health but as role models setting an awful example to those children....absolutely disgusting and I hope you manage to find out who they are!

hollyoaksmad
31-07-2012, 06:54 PM
omg thats terrible should ov got a pic

JCrakers
31-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Smoking
3.55 Providers must have a no smoking policy, and must prevent smoking in a room, or outside play area, when children are present or about to be present.

That's terrible. At the park in front of the children and potential business. Smoking in front of the kids is appalling. Hope you can find them and report.

Ripeberry
31-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Not just the logo but the colour of their 'uniform' should narrow it down even more. If they are on this forum they should be getting worried by now and should report themselves if they have any sense :mad:

Boris
31-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Penny

I agree! Shocking!

nikki thomson
31-07-2012, 09:24 PM
OMG, now I don't like confrontation but I would have to of said something to them, what were they thinking, I'm sure the parents of the children would be really impressed to know they were smoking while working. X

babs
01-08-2012, 07:18 AM
omg this is such a bad representaion of childminders. i would of taken a photo on my phone of the logo.. or if i got close enough would of asked them not to smoke in childrens play area. shocking.......

Ant_h18
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Penny

Indeed I would phone Ofsted up!!!