PDA

View Full Version : Do you think its ok to take mindees to McDonalds for a treat?

stargazer1
30-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I have three mindees on Thursday, plus my two children. So I will have two 5 year old, two 3 year olds and a one year old. I am going on holiday on Saturday and Thursday is the last day I am working. Just checked the weather forecast and it is rubbish. So was thinking of taking them to Krazy Kids soft play (don't do it very often, especially in the holidays as it is expensive and busy). During the holidays they get 90 mins play, and if they want food in the cafe it has to be done within that 90 mins, which I think is ridiculous, considering how much is costs to get them in. So was planning on letting them make the most of that 90 mins play and then stoppin at McDonalds on the way home (which is practically next door to soft play) for lunch. Do you think its ok to take mindees to McDonalds? I've never done it before and it really is as a treat. And would you ask the parents or just do it? I'm closed for a fortnight after this week and then one of my mindees is on holiday for a fortnight. Thought it would be a nice winding down (:laughing:)treat.

EmmaReed84
30-07-2012, 09:26 AM
I am not a massive fan of McDonalds personally, but I have been once with mindees, I checked with Mum first, it was when we went to a shopping centre to see Santa.

I got them chicken nuggets and asked for FRESH chips with NO salt on, and got them some water, Mum was happy, I was happy and best of all mindees were happy.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I give mine mc's every week - parents okayed it.

LauraS
30-07-2012, 09:46 AM
If parents are happy with it, I can't see a problem. Sounds like a nice treat :)

singingcactus
30-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I think it's okay :). I've done it in the past and will do it again. In fact I bought my little mindee burger and chips at the get together earlier this week, although it wasn't mcdonalds - it was waaaay yummier.

karensmart4
30-07-2012, 10:47 AM
I do it for an occasional treat, usually like you as an ending to a softplay session, the parents have been happy to say yes (so far) and are pleased that we want to give their children a special day (if you know what I mean). :thumbsup:

Katiekoo
30-07-2012, 11:12 AM
For a very occasional treat - yeah why not. If parents agree. It's not the healthiest, but you can ask for a fruit bag instead of chips in kids meals.
I've been known on occasion to have an ice cream on a hot day with the mindees! I don't think it's any worse really.

Pipsqueak
30-07-2012, 11:14 AM
of course it is

I think its more unhealthy to teach children that some things are to be avoided at all costs... it more healthy to teach them about moderation

:thumbsup:

kellib
30-07-2012, 11:16 AM
As long as parents are all okay with it then I'd do it, it's not as if you would be going everyday :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
30-07-2012, 11:17 AM
The only time its not is if the parent has requested you not to.

Everything in its place :thumbsup:

smurfette
30-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Took two of mine last week and my own girls. Like that we were on the go and got behind time and my girls weren't going to have time to be fed at home before their tennis lesson so we popped into macdonalds ., I just bought chicken nuggets for the Littlies and my girls shared their curly fries and they had water in their beakers, mums just thought it was nice i had treated them,, I think as along as you give them balanced meals the rest of
The time it is fine

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I do :thumbsup::D
I always check with parents first. And like Emma, I ask for unsalted chips and go for the fishfingers or chicken nuggets. My smallest lo at 1y is not allowed but ok to go with a picnic for her.
The children love a treat now and again:D

Bridey
30-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I'd never set foot in the place - without or without the children. The food is dreadful. I really can't see where the 'treat' is as far as McD's is concerned and I am really shocked that a minder would even think of taking her mindees there once a week.

I used to take my young mindee to a local cafe and we would have scrambled eggs or beans on toast. He got to know the cafe owners really well and loved going there.

EmmaReed84
30-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I'd never set foot in the place - without or without the children. The food is dreadful. I really can't see where the 'treat' is as far as McD's is concerned and I am really shocked that a minder would even think of taking her mindees there once a week.

I used to take my young mindee to a local cafe and we would have scrambled eggs or beans on toast. He got to know the cafe owners really well and loved going there.

I have to admit the food is pretty rank in there, especially if it has been left for ages... DH used to work there once upon a time so know how it works.

When we do go there it is usually only for the breakfasts, but when we have been for lunch we ask for it all fresh and they HAVE to cook it fresh for you, it is much nicer... but still I prefer Nandos... Aint taking the kids there though... way to expensive lol

Bushpig
30-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I cannot view McD junk food as a *treat*... would never dream of taking a mindee there myself... would go against my healthy eating and nutrition policies.

I have never been into fast food... especially after I worked there (in the design dept at McD HQ UK)... and knew what went into the food.... bleeeeeuuuuurgh :panic:

I wouldn't eat it myself... so definitely would not give it to a child.

Bushpig
30-07-2012, 03:02 PM
There's no comparison btwn yummy Nando's and McDs... Nando's is a fab South African export :thumbsup:

tammys-tots
30-07-2012, 03:07 PM
no i wouldnt, one its not healthy 2 the meat comes from pig farms where animals are kept in cages not able to move about in fields! so cruel

stargazer1
30-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Well there's a mixed bag of responses.

Well I have asked both sets of parents and both are quite excited for their little people to have a nice day out. I agree that McDonald's isn't good nutritionally, I used to work there many moons ago. My children have been once so far this year, this will be there second time. And as it turns out after me worrying, mindees go far more often. So as long as parents are happy, and I know kiddies will love it, then we will be doing it.

I agree about Nandos but our nearest Nandos is about 40 miles away (soft play and McDs is 27 miles - but in the opposite direction). So dont think I fancy a 120 mile round trip. But I would much prefer it, Nandos, yum yum!

Thanks for your replies ladies x

FussyElmo
30-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Now I would happily go for breakfast and then go for dinner........mmm prehaps forget about a home cooked tea. :p

breezy
30-07-2012, 03:43 PM
of course it is

I think its more unhealthy to teach children that some things are to be avoided at all costs... it more healthy to teach them about moderation

:thumbsup:

totally agree :thumbsup:

jaja
30-07-2012, 03:51 PM
why not, i would its a treat, just check with parents first though xxx

md0u0131
30-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I do agree with what pipsqueak said about teaching helathy eating as everything in moderation but at the same time I don't like food being used as a treat or reward either.

McDs isn't my cup of tea at all - much prefer a nice little cafe but don't see the problem in going once in a while. I'm a bit :eek: about the once a week thing I have to admit.

Pipsqueak
30-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I do prefer Burger King.... :D

stargazer1
30-07-2012, 04:16 PM
I do agree with what pipsqueak said about teaching helathy eating as everything in moderation but at the same time I don't like food being used as a treat or reward either.

McDs isn't my cup of tea at all - much prefer a nice little cafe but don't see the problem in going once in a while. I'm a bit :eek: about the once a week thing I have to admit.

I probably (as I normally do!!) worded it a bit wrong when I said "as a treat". I meant something out of the norm. Would much prefer a little cafe myself but as play centre is on outskirts of town, would mean going right into town and parking, then a good walk, to a cafe thats a bit of a greasy spoon anyway.

With regard to the once a week, I wouldn't do it but each to their own. I don't judge others on decisions they make and think it would be very boring if we were all the same x

tammys-tots
30-07-2012, 04:33 PM
the question is would you tell ofsted that you take children to mc donalds? i dont think so

Pipsqueak
30-07-2012, 04:48 PM
the question is would you tell ofsted that you take children to mc donalds? i dont think so

yes I HAVE told Ofsted that we go to Mc'D's and to Greggs and we have coca cola and haribos and popcorn...all within moderation.

please don't make out that people are underhand in this sort of thing.:(

Chatterbox Childcare
30-07-2012, 04:48 PM

I do tell Ofsted. I take my 3 little ones in order fish fingers with 1 chips, 1 apple and 1 carrots. They all share everything and Ofsted said that there wasn't a problem.

My once a week goes on the older ones and I took them because the parents used to pick them up and take them anyway

kellib
30-07-2012, 04:57 PM

I would, it's not a crack den!!

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 05:08 PM

I would too!:thumbsup:
In fact, when ofsted came last year she asked the boys sat at the table what their favourite food was...guess what they told her!
I explained that is was easter and we'd had a trip out!

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 05:12 PM
I probably (as I normally do!!) worded it a bit wrong when I said "as a treat". I meant something out of the norm. Would much prefer a little cafe myself but as play centre is on outskirts of town, would mean going right into town and parking, then a good walk, to a cafe thats a bit of a greasy spoon anyway.

With regard to the once a week, I wouldn't do it but each to their own. I don't judge others on decisions they make and think it would be very boring if we were all the same x

I don't "treat" them with McDs...as in...you've been good we'll ge to McDs!
It's in the day out I've planned. All parents have been ok with it as they know I go so rarely(apart from 1yo-I take a paked lunch for her)

tammys-tots
30-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I do tell Ofsted. I take my 3 little ones in order fish fingers with 1 chips, 1 apple and 1 carrots. They all share everything and Ofsted said that there wasn't a problem.

My once a week goes on the older ones and I took them because the parents used to pick them up and take them anyway

well i have never seen it on any childminders report, 'childminder takes children on outings to places such as mc donalds' my view on being a childminder is we look after other peoples children! what we do with our own children is different to what we provide for childminding children, i only provide healthy food no crisps, chips fizzy drinks but when mine were younger they did have these sometimes. Some children i have had in the past are always eating unhealthy food so when they come to mine i want to teach them about healthy eating, there are so many over weight children in this country

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 05:26 PM
well i have never seen it on any childminders report, 'childminder takes children on outings to places such as mc donalds' my view on being a childminder is we look after other peoples children! what we do with our own children is different to what we provide for childminding children, i only provide healthy food no crisps, chips fizzy drinks but when mine were younger they did have these sometimes. Some children i have had in the past are always eating unhealthy food so when they come to mine i want to teach them about healthy eating, there are so many over weight children in this country

I do see what you are saying but going maybe 3-5 times in a year is not going to make the children fat! The rest of the time I am feeding them healthy food. At the end of the day, if the parents have said ok to it then I'm ok with it. I always make sure the chips are salt free and that they have fruit and water, not fizzy.
Just because you haven't seen it on a report doesn't mean that ofsted haven't been told. Each inspector has their own way of writing reports. On my inspection day I gave the children what they always have, sandwiches followed by a plate of fruit...but the report said I like to give healthy food such as cucumber and tomato! There weren't tomatoes on the pplate as my minees don't like them!

PixiePetal
30-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't take mindees to McDs as I don't like it - hate burger King even more! On the other hand I do like a KFC :) and if we have had a morning in town for soft play or library etc we do occasionally go - parents are fine, all in moderation. No salt on chips anyway, chicken and water to drink then fruit from supermarket after on the bus home.

I wouldn't think of making a point of telling Ofsted, in the whole scheme of things it is just a quick meal and not a 'treat' or 'bribe'. We also sometimes go to a little cafe for beans on toast - just for somewhere different, all good practice for eating out and behaving well while we do :thumbsup:

melco
30-07-2012, 06:21 PM
My old childminder used to take my children to McDonalds, she would go to the cinema with the kids with the kids am deal and then take them to mcdonalds. It didn't bother me as it was something that I would do with. I must admit though that the first time my youngest daughter went to mcdonalds was with the childminder!!

I haven't taken any of my mindees to Mcdonalds but may do in the future. I understand what people are saying that you should not use it as a treat for a child being good, but I don't feel that this would be the reason for the childminder taking them, the reason she would see it as a treat for them is that is something that they do not normally do not as a form of reward for good behaviour. When we go my children do see it as a treat but again its because they don't do it that often and they get excited by it.

I know someone whose Mum did not allow them to have sweets, chocolate or fast food so when they got older they ended up putting on weight because they went mad on fast food when they got older because they missed out when they were younger!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
30-07-2012, 06:37 PM

oh to be so perfect

This thread asked a question and I answered the question - not to be judged on whether my practice is right and wrong

I work with my parents and it certainly does say outstanding on my report for a reason

ChocolateChip
30-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I have taken mine on various occasions, not very often but usually for the same reason as OP, because the soft play has been too busy for us to eat there on a wet day. Our McD's is near a big play and water jet park, so we have have either spent the day there in the hols with a healthy picnic and got it for tea, or I have once or twice been able to take some schoolies there for a lovely play after school and got it on the way home. Probably a max of 4 times a year, and with different mindees.
I also share out chips, carrots and fruit between the kids so it's not all bad and tbh the amount of times I do it the fresh air, exercise and sometimes being spontaneous has probably been of more benefit to everyone than me rushing them back home to prepare a meal.
As long as the parents are happy hun, go for it and enjoy! ;)

curlycathy
30-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Whilst I am not personally a great fan of Mcdonalds food myself (being veggie) I did take mindees and my children there once as a treat. The treat being that it was somewhere out of the norm during the holidays and their mum was absolutely fine with it.

I agree with Pip - everything in moderation. The mindees in question went there every week or so with their parents, my kids hardly ever, but they enjoyed going together, sitting down and choosing together, sharing together, talking together, laughing together and playing with their Happy Meal toys together.

And as I was inspected just before half term (when I took them) I did tell the Inspector our plans and she said..."Have a good time":D

wendywu
30-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes i have done it, on Christmas eve the children get to choose where they want to have lunch and they choose Mac Donalds.:rolleyes:

I sit there with a cardboard cup of coffee while they pick at the food and are more excited about the free toy. But they are happy.;)

I think to state you would never give the children any unhealthy food then you need to never drink alcohol, eat any fried food, or sweets chocolate or chips or processed food or any unhealthy food EVER.

And no doubt someone will come on here and claim to do exactly this :laughing:

FussyElmo
30-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes i have done it, on Christmas eve the children get to choose where they want to have lunch and they choose Mac Donalds.:rolleyes:

I sit there with a cardboard cup of coffee while they pick at the food and are more excited about the free toy. But they are happy.;)

I think to state you would never give the children any unhealthy food then you need to never drink alcohol, eat any fried food, or sweets chocolate or chips or processed food or any unhealthy food EVER.

I was about to claim exactly this but then I realised the word NEVER was in there :laughing::laughing::laughing:

wendywu
30-07-2012, 07:42 PM
[Q
UOTE=FussyElmo;1136348]I was about to claim exactly this but then I realised the word NEVER was in there :laughing::laughing::laughing:

[/QUOTE]

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

breezy
30-07-2012, 07:47 PM
I was about to claim exactly this but then I realised the word NEVER was in there :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I could claim this in all seriousness....................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

BUT if only the word never said always :laughing:

Little Pickles
30-07-2012, 07:55 PM
I did take a mindee once before and never again..... He demanded different toys screaming the whole way through, refused carrots and fruit and demanded chips and then had a complete breakdown because I wasn't going to get him a mcflurry after he had thrown his food on the floor in a temper .....after speaking to parents on pick up seems like he acts like this with him but they give in and give him what he wants so that he doesn't make a scene ! :eek::eek:
Needless to say I won't be doing that again

Chimps Childminding
30-07-2012, 08:11 PM
We have been a few times, usually as most have said if we have been out! Both the mindees I have taken go regularly with their parents so I know its ok (although I did check with them first).

As most have said its everything in moderation - sometimesonly letting them have healthy food and not letting them have any treats has the opposite effect as they get older :(

Pipsqueak
30-07-2012, 08:33 PM

you see ALL sorts on peoples reports and not necessarily what you expect.
I think it does more harm to make things taboo -
case in point...

my sister and her holier than thou (do as I say not as I do) ways'
her oh-so-perfect my children eat only organic, fair trade, healthy fresh from the field foods...
McDonalds and the like was scorned....

my kids - eat BALANCED meals and have a bit of 'junk' here and there...

guess which children had the less colds and coughs, chest infections
guess which children could make the more sensible decisions and informed choices about foods
guess which children don't gorge (any opportunity they get) on 'bad' (forbidden) foods
guess which kids don't have hangups about their weight/size/body shape /foods

lots of things go to contribute to not just fat kids but unhealthy kids and there is more to being 'fat' than just rubbish food. Teach children to understand and you go a long way to solving a problem

having grown up in a dancing environment - where food and body shape were crucial elements I KNOW, first hand, the hang ups that issues around food can cause.

A childminder who takes children to places such as McD's once in a while is not a bad person

zillervalley
30-07-2012, 08:50 PM

he he most of us do on hear on the 2nd January every year for ? weeks

zillervalley
30-07-2012, 08:51 PM
you see ALL sorts on peoples reports and not necessarily what you expect.
I think it does more harm to make things taboo -
case in point...

my sister and her holier than thou (do as I say not as I do) ways'
her oh-so-perfect my children eat only organic, fair trade, healthy fresh from the field foods...
McDonalds and the like was scorned....

my kids - eat BALANCED meals and have a bit of 'junk' here and there...

guess which children had the less colds and coughs, chest infections
guess which children could make the more sensible decisions and informed choices about foods
guess which children don't gorge (any opportunity they get) on 'bad' (forbidden) foods
guess which kids don't have hangups about their weight/size/body shape /foods

lots of things go to contribute to not just fat kids but unhealthy kids and there is more to being 'fat' than just rubbish food. Teach children to understand and you go a long way to solving a problem

having grown up in a dancing environment - where food and body shape were crucial elements I KNOW, first hand, the hang ups that issues around food can cause.

A childminder who takes children to places such as McD's once in a while is not a bad person

well said pip

ziller

sweets
30-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I take my lot but its rare, more.because of the cost of taking them really.

It is a treat when they go and they love it, parents take them to occasionaly.

One thing i do have to say on it, is get them chips not fruit! lol its not right to.go.there and eat carrot sticks!!!! Lol, i wouldnt wamt them with my burger:laughing:!

blue bear
30-07-2012, 09:10 PM
On a child's last day try get to choose what we do and yes we have been to maccy d's.

Pipsqueak
30-07-2012, 09:12 PM
well said pip

ziller

why fank you

:D

Chimps Childminding
30-07-2012, 09:14 PM
well said pip

ziller

:clapping::clapping: Hear Hear!!!! or is it Here Here???? :confused: anyway I agree with Pip too!!! :D

Pipsqueak
30-07-2012, 09:15 PM
:clapping::clapping: Hear Hear!!!! or is it Here Here???? :confused: anyway I agree with Pip too!!! :D

form an orderly queue to sign up for my fan club

:laughing::p

Ali56
30-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a healthy eating policy-for most of the time!
Parents choose us for childcare so their children can have a more rounded, balanced experience, with fun and education all rolled in to one. Rather than the same four walls(nursery) or leisure centre(older kids-hols)
I rarely go to Mc'd's-I, myself am not a fan of fried food, e numbers, additives, asparatame...the list goes on! They make me ill-enough said! BUT why should the children not have a 'fast food' meal every now and then? I can't see the problem-I think its our job to educate-everything in moderation is fine in our house! And if I do take them then I buy them chips! No point in pairing chicken nuggets with carrots IMO! It Just means that when they have snack they have fruit/veg and a breadstick or something rather than a biccie! :D:D

kel1983
31-07-2012, 06:49 AM
I cant see why not if its ok with parents. Dont go there myself as it is so expensive. would rather go to KFC. you get much more for your money. Or we head to pizza hut for their buffet. Lots of healthy salad and as much pizza as you can eat.

This thread is making me really hungrty right now.