PDA

View Full Version : Help

swindonmum
29-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi I am a registered childminder have been for the past 13 years. I recently took on an assistant who did work in a nursery where my youngest daughter used to attend. Everything has been going fine up until the school holidays which I think has been abit of s shock to her as she was not used to working holidays and has two children of her own who her mum has been looking after. On Friday evening I received a text message to say she could no longer work with me! Well I was very shocked by this as nothing had been said the day before. She then accused me of hurting a child in my care and had contacted the parent the night before. I feel completely devastated that someone could do this to you in all my years of childminding I have never been accused of hurting anyone. I have three children of my own 5,11 and 16 my five year old and my husband were home also on the day I was supposed to have done this do you really think they would stand by and let this happen. Someone help me please I am so frightened about what is going to happen with ofsted!!!
Evonne

Kiddleywinks
29-07-2012, 09:22 AM
:eek: No wonder you're in a panic!

Did she give you specific details - child, incident to which she's referring to (if indeed there even was an incident)
If she has, then go through it all from start to finish - I would make bullet points for myself so I could try identifying where she may have misinterpreted something you said or did

Has the alleged parent made contact with you regarding her claim that she contacted them on the Thursday? Do you even know who it is?

I would treat her text to you as a formal complaint, document what's been said by both of you now, and if parent has contacted you, said something etc, try to be calm (I know, easier said than done) and keep your emotions out of it as much as possible.
If you shed any light on anything, ask hubby to write a 'witness statement'

Then contact ofsted yourself on Monday explaining what's happened, what you've done (written it down) and if you have identified what on earth she's on about - if you haven't, tell them that.

:group hug:

sarah707
29-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I agree with Chrissie - face this head on and take it seriously as it could come back to bite you.

Write the accusation on a complaint form and give yourself 28 days to investigate.

As it is a safeguarding complaint you will need to make the proper reports within 14 days - you should have it all detailed in your safeguarding procedures - what to do if an allegation is made against you.

You cannot ignore this one I am afraid It's too serious. Do you have a local authority support worker who can guide you through it?

We're here if you need to chat or get further help as well.

Hugs xx

Kiddleywinks
29-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Sarah, just a thought.
If the alleged parent hasn't said anything to Evonne, should she approach them with what's been alleged or would that be a confidentiality breach as the complaint is from the assistant towards the minder?

Chatterbox Childcare
29-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Evonne

If you employed the assistant she should have followed your complaints procedure. Sounds like she doesn't want to work holidays

Give Trio a ring and get their advice tomorrow as I am sure Joy or Dawn will come out and help if you explain how urgent it is.

sarah707
29-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Sarah, just a thought.
If the alleged parent hasn't said anything to Evonne, should she approach them with what's been alleged or would that be a confidentiality breach as the complaint is from the assistant towards the minder?

That's a tough one isn't it?

The complaint has to be investigated - and the childminder can't go asking the child unless they raise something because that might cause distress.

I would suggest the childminder asks parents if the child has made any comments about their time in the provision on the day without going into any detail - then notes that in their investigation document.

There will be more advice available from the LSCB - or as Chatterbox advises from local officers.

The child might need to be spoken to but not by the childminder - someone qualified in these things will take that role - it should say on the childminder's safeguarding procedure that she does not investigate complaints like this herself.

Hth :D

Kiddleywinks
30-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Hiya hun, been thinking of you today.

Hope you're ok :thumbsup:

Did you call ofsted?

blue bear
30-07-2012, 04:19 PM
How horrible. Hope thing are being sorted worst nightmare x

carol cameron
30-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Really, really hope you are getting some support from somewhere/ someone. It's terrible when an allegation is made and worse when you don't know what the heck you are being accused of.

It's happened to me and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Have to say though Ofsted were fantastic throughout and really supportive -unlike my local team (development officer) who wasn't allowed to discuss the matter with me until it was resolved !! After it was proved totally false, I had one phone call to say "ring me if you want ". You can probably guess- I didn't !

Sending you big, big hugs and hope that you have managed to clarify situation.:)