PDA

View Full Version : My own paperless IPhone system!

jadavi
29-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Having wasted Literally hours trying out all the suggested sites and apps and finding them too unwieldy, too schoolie, too USA oriented or too expensive I have just realised I can use iPhone notes and photos to email parents directly. I can do summary of the day incl an ob and next steps (briefly) if I want. The only thing missing is a template and headings and I don't think parents give a hoot about that tbh.
I also need to cc myself in so I have their history trail on my email for my records. At any point I can draw up their pages by using the same title on search. It's already date listed.
I can even keep adding to the same note so I and the parent have an ongoing Updated report.
Missing is eyfs links but I like doing summative assessments every term anyway so I can do it then! Parents are least interested in that bit anyway IMO....
Sounds basic and lo tech but hey maybe it'll work!!! What do you think?

jadavi
29-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Should add that my phone is password protected and can erase all data after ten wrong log in attempts.

Kiddleywinks
29-07-2012, 09:36 AM
If it works for you then go for it :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
29-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Do whatever suits you. It is not for me I have to be honest. My parents get a daily verbal update on what their children have done and enjoyed, where we have been.

I love paper LJs because I can share them with the children and parents and its a permanent record for them to keep.

I do feel that all this exchange of information has a place but does it stop regular verbal face to face communication? I know our children's High School has introduced very tight rule regarding the use of mobile phones in school time (breaks and lunch time use have been banned from sept) because they have noticed how some children have isolated themselves because they sit and play games and don't interact with other children.

I fear with all the talk over the last few days on the Forum for the loss of proper communication with parents if everything is done by phone or computer will you every really get to know parents you never really talk to any more? Also by sending info and nor discussing it with a parent you loose the interaction that might give you more information about the child at home because a conversation will spark the sharing of info the way a text or email won't because it is so impersonal.

jadavi
29-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes I hear what you are saying Rickysmith and I so agree.

But we will still do the LJs with real printed photos so, my system enriches what we already do, not replaces it.(I can send every pic this way not just a selection for the LJ)

My emails will have more detail than a lot of our verbal chats and will most likely prompt email replies so I'll have more hard evidence of parental response for ofsted.

What do others think of this relatively dinosaur system? I realised all we were getting with these apps and kits were boxes with headings.

Tealady
29-07-2012, 01:31 PM
If it works for you and your families then go for it. In this techie age some people respond better to phone messages and emails. However in the interests of accessibility fo all you may need to do and old fashioned diary for any technophobe parents.

jadavi
29-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks Tealady
Actually none of my parents want hand written diaries except one baby's mum and all she wants is the times of his feeds and sleeps.
Actually I am the technophobe but have had to educate myself to all things techie to be part of this modern age and a cool parent!