PDA

View Full Version : Sterilising for under 1's

welshgirl
27-07-2012, 02:46 PM
It's been over 3 years since I have had an under 2, but will have a new mindee who will be 11 months when he starts in september. How is the best way to sterilise feeding equipment for the child, what do you find is the easiest method to do this? Does anyone know where I can find the latest guidance on preparing baby bottles etc?
Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

bunyip
27-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd put exactly the same question to the parents. That way you show respect for their prefernces and demonstrate you're working in partnership.

If they're unsure, ask if you can give their health visitor a call to discuss it together.

When my grandchildren needed it, I used a thing that went in the microwave. We had a power outage once, just as I needed to use it. Fortunately I'd not long since boiled the kettle, so I made up a sterilising solution from the campden tablets I use when cider-making. It did just the same job. :p

Tealady
27-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I had a microwave streriliser, however I know some CM's ask for bottles to come ready sterilised. If you have Better Food Better Business for Childminder it has bottle guidance in there.

~Grasshopper~
27-07-2012, 05:16 PM
you dont need to sterilise feeding equipment only bottles and teats for under 6mth old babies.

i would expect parents to bring sterilised bottles all sealed then they are sterile for 24 hours. if you wanted to sterilise anything then sit it in boiling water for a few mins.

at 11mths they will be chewing everything so there is no point in sterilising spoons ect.

x

funemnx
27-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I might get shot down here but I never sterilised anything for my own 4 children. I just washed and rinsed everything well - no harm, all healthy robust adults now!

In my experience, parents bring bottles already sterilised with water in and measured powder to add as required :thumbsup:

QualityCare
27-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I ask parents to leave 4 bottles with me and a tin of milk, spoons and feeding bowls, l sterilise using the old fashioned way, milton tabs and water, l make up bottles as l need them dispose of any milk not drunk immediately and continue to sterilise for as long as the parent wants me to at present l have an 11mth old whose feeding equipment is sterilised even though he chews everything he picks up.

Maza
27-07-2012, 06:40 PM
If he is 11 months old then you have only got 1 month left of sterilising, so I wouldn't be spending too much money. I would be tempted to do the boiling water method. Can't remember the exact rules, I think you can place bottles and teats in boiling water for 10 minutes. Sure someone will come along who knows for sure.

Chimps Childminding
27-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I would ask the parents, they may be happy for you to just wash things up, send them home and they will sterilise them with the rest at home. But as someone said at 11 months they are probably getting around and picking things up and putting them in their mouths anyway so I wouldn't be worrying too much about it!

smurfette
27-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Last under one I had mum stopped sterilising at about 6 months as he was crawling and putting everything in his mouth and she didn't see the point! I was the same with dd3, just put everything in the dishwasher so you might find parents of new lo is the same. On the other hand I had one who was still sterilising at 16 months!!

Both parents brought bottles that had been sterilised and filled with boiling water to the right amount and gave me either a tin of formula or one of those formula holders with it pre measured in and I just made up as I needed them and rinsed before sending home. I wouldn't feel it was my job to do all the sterilising to be honest, would only worry about soothers and you can get microwave sterilisers for them which would only cost a small amount

PixiePetal
27-07-2012, 07:26 PM
It's another one of the recommendations which changes year on year :rolleyes:

Funny how my kids never had a day of sickness when I stopped sterilising bottles at 6 months (which was the thing at the time):D

rickysmiths
27-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Simple the parents bring the bottles ready sterilized. You use them through the day putting the boiled water and making up the formular as needed. I would ask the parents to provide the powder milk in a segmented container with the exact measurement for each feed. Formular milk only keeps for 4 weeks once a box is opened. Ask which one the parents use and either google the instructions or look on a box in the supermarket.

Oh and the current recommendation is to sterilize up to a year but only bottles.