PDA

View Full Version : nursery rhyme theme ideas

lulubelle
27-07-2012, 12:20 PM
as title says i will be doing a nursery rhyme theme next month so on the look out for good ideas/resources/links etc

one of my mindees CAN talk very well but often wont so trying to think of ideas to encourage speach as mum is also concerned now

sarah707
28-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Lots of puppet play usually engages even reluctant talkers.

Let them make mouse face masks / rabbits on sticks etc...

Put some puppets in a basket and let them take turns choosing one and singing the song.

Hth :D

Maza
29-07-2012, 06:32 AM
The ideas Sarah sugested are great for children with sp and lang issues or EAL children and can be applied to any theme. Having toy telephones around can sometimes get children 'talking' too.

Put together a nursery rhyme bag/box with props inside linked to particular rhymes, eg a spider for Incy Wincy/Miss Muffet, a mouse for Hickory Dickory, toy boat for Row Row Your Boat etc. Take turns getting an object from the bag, guess the rhyme and then sing it. Add an extra dimention by saying the rhymes in a loud/whispery/squeeky voice.

Get magnifying glasses and go into the garden to look for spiders. There are loads of spider/web craft activities if you google them. We also have a little hill in one of our parks and we use it to sing lots of rhymes with 'up and down' in the words, for example The Grand Old Duke of York, Hickory Dickory and Jack and Jill. Each time we sing 'up' they have to run up the little hill etc.

blue bear
29-07-2012, 06:00 PM
An echo microphone is great for non talkers they can whisper and hear the sound back, cosy places help too, my 'non' talker used to hide in the overbed net and sing away thinking I couldn't see him.

Also make sure you leave time for him to talk, ask a question and leave him lots of time to decide whether to answer or not.

I have a basket with puppets and props linked to songs, so three knitted speckled frogs, five bath ducks, a space ship with little men in ( cut out cardboard space ship from cereal box, over in silver foil. Cut out three round windows. Draw men on three circles and use split pins to add to space ship so when the circles are turned the little men appear in the window.
if old enough use hoola hoops(crisps) to sing 3 little monkeys climbing up a tree, teasing mr. Crocodile can't catch me,nee nee nee nah, then the crocodile (child) eats the ,monkey (hoopla hoop)

Cariad
29-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Some great ideas guys.
What about using some makaton alongside the words. There have been a few episodes of Something Special (good old Mr Tumble!!) with nursery rhymes and songs with a couple who I think are called singing hands

Cariad
29-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Just looked it up and yes, it is Singing Hands - google them and you'll find lots of info. here's a link to their FB page where all their contact info is anyway... https://www.facebook.com/SingingHands

hth

lulubelle
28-08-2012, 08:08 PM
found my old post but new ideas welcome!