PDA

View Full Version : Do i tell parents or not?

Cassie
27-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I found out yesterday that my neighbour has been arrested for downloading images of children! He is in court next week and the case will be in the newspaper,possibly with an address....Do i inform my parents?
I am concerned about any repurcussions for his wife and her child who still live next door (he left the home xmas when the arrest first happened). A lot of my parents are local and we all know how gossip spreads,but they will probably read the story and i want to assure them their children are not involved!
Not sure how all this will effect me either...
Any advice?

gegele
27-07-2012, 08:30 AM
has he moved out?

if he has then there's not much you can do, if he hasn't then you need to RA all the times he could take pictures and see what you can do to make it impossible for him to take pics of kids.

as for telling the parents yes i supposed i would and explain to them everything i do to protect their children.

it's not your fault, you can't control your neighbours.:(

caz3007
27-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I think I would mention it to parents, after all it will be in the local newspaper I am sure.

My friend found out her ex husband had been convicted of the same thing (they had been seperated for years) because his name and pic had been in the local newspaper where she used to live and she still had friends in that area.

I think you should just forwarn parents

QualityCare
27-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I would tell the parents before it got in the papers and reassure them that he has moved out and when and that their children are not involved.

blue bear
27-07-2012, 12:33 PM
There is convicted paedophile living in my street. I had to tell ofsted but was told by both ofsted and police I was not allowed to tell parents as this could be considered slander. :eek:

EmmaReed84
27-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Sorry to jump on this thread, but how can you find out if someone on your street has been convicted, or anything like that?

I have a neighbour who I had a run in with about children playing and his son needing sleep at 12 in the afternoon! Anyway, he said "I like kids, I love kids in fact" then went funny and said "Not in a strange way, I aint no peado, I don't sit in the park looking at kids, taking pictures or anything, I don't fancy kids or anything like that!" It took me back how he really had to go on about what he "isn't" most people wouldn't think to blurt stuff like that.

Just made me curious if there is anyway I could find out... maybe not about him specifically, but more on my street.

With regards to OP, If it is going to be in the paper I would tell the parent it is ON YOUR STREET, I would not tell them exactly where though.

hectors house
27-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I would wait until the story appears in the newspaper - if you hadn't been told you wouldn't have found out til then either. Or ring your DO for advice.

Your poor neighbour and the children will be going through enough as it is - they don't need people pointing them out in the street - thank goodness it is the holidays for those poor kids although if he is in court next week that will only be a first appearance and it will depend on how he pleads how long the case drags on for.

I suppose you need to think about whether you have ever let children play in a paddling pool nude and how well your garden can been seen from neighbours gardens and house windows. Perhaps a lesson to all of us actually - how well do any of us know our neighbours, the parents of mindees or a horrible thought, our families!