PDA

View Full Version : In need of inspiration!

green4lynn
26-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Evening all!

I've been minding for over 8 years, but just recently have felt stuck in a rut with resources, layout of toys etc! I don't have a separate playroom, just my dining room and conservatory, and my own children are 12 and 17 so i don't need any toys left out for them. I just can't seem to get inspired by what I've got, can't really afford to buy new stuff, and the kids seem bored with what I put out!

I have mindees ranging from 11mnths to 4 yrs old, and need a kick up the bum! My garden is small, and has no grass, only pebbles (its rented, and we can't afford to turf it!), and I'm struggling to make it more child friendly too!

Please help give me some fab ideas for an Enabling Environment!

Lynn x

gegele
27-07-2012, 06:54 AM
have you thought of doing a junk box? get loads of empty boxes, bottle loo roll.... ask parents to bring some.... (working in partnership :))

some masking tape and you're away !!

the pebbles will add to it by making different sound in different containers :D

kids can create what they want, you can make a shaking bottle with younger one.

you could paint some pebbles, drier them and then make shaking bottle with different colour pebble...

watgem
27-07-2012, 07:00 AM
what about swapping toys/books/games with another childminder? me and a friend do this and it works really well, new things for free:)or try freecycle?

Toothfairy
27-07-2012, 07:02 AM
I too use my dinning room to CM from and have a small 40ft garden which is paved over.
Over the last 12 months I've been trying to move away from the boxes of plastic toys and have been building up my range of open ended toys and sensory baskets.
For example I have got rid of dressing up costumes and replaced them with lots of pieces of material, net, silk Velvet, cotton sheeting etc and lots of different hats, bags, capes etc, bunches of keys, old mobile phone etc.
We use giant cardboard boxes to as houses, cars, space rockets etc
I use tuff trays and fill them with dried pasta, shredded paper, soil, different size balls etc.
I have made sensory bottles with different fillings and I Spy jars.
I have made treasure baskets; wood, metal, dried seed pods, ribbons, different brushes, colours etc.
In the garden I have bought drain pipe for rolling balls down or water.
I have made a weaving frame from an old clothes rail and some plastic netting.
Again I use tuff trays for mud making. I have a water tray and sand pit etc.
I also read on here about conversation bags where you put lots of different items in a draw string bag ang get the kiddies to take turns picking an item. You can then encourage them to chat about the item of make up a story using each item.

Everything is all cheap and cheerful. I buy bits from pound shops, charity shops, boot fairs etc. I try to make One -Two new resources each month.

I'm sure others will be along soon with other ideas but hope that has given you a few ideas to start with. :thumbsup:

Bumblez
27-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Google happyhooligans. There are some fab idea's on there and you will find that you probably have most of the stuff! :)

lisa1968
27-07-2012, 10:52 AM
do you have access to a toy library?You can contact your local family information service to find out.They have some great stuff and you can borrow it for ages for only a small fee.
i know how you feel though.I have loads of resources and a conservatory that just has childminding stuff in it,but you do get fed up of looking at the same stuff!
Try to use the toys you have for different activities-a lot of my stuff-wild animals,dinosaurs,cars,bricks,dolls etc-get used in water play(you dont need loads of room outside-i use cheap cat litter trays!),sand play,messy play(shaving foam is great),painting/printing etc-we recently did some great wheel track paintings using vehicles with different types of tyres.Its all about thinking outside the box,as they say!!.Car boots are great for cheap and cheerful stuff too.

Trouble
27-07-2012, 10:54 AM
swap some toys with other childminders

sell some on ebay to buy more

take a break for a couple of days if possible

hectors house
27-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Have went on Happy hooligans website as recommended by Bumblez and suddenly half an hour has passed - what a fantastic site!

lynnslittleuns
27-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Me too, its brilliant.

But as you said a lot of the stuff i already have, its just thinking about things from a different angle.

I'm so excited (need to get out more).

Lynn xx

Bumblez
28-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Glad I could help, I love that site! I also came across 'The chocolate muffin tree' the other day and before I knew it the morning had gone! Another to keep in your favourites :thumbsup: