PDA

View Full Version : bite marks

julie w
26-07-2012, 08:04 AM
A 3 year old mindee arrived this morning and his mum told me that as he has been biting a lot lately she has bitten him back and if I see teethmarks on him they are from her. If they say a naughty word she puts mustard in their mouths. I know the way she brings them up is up to her (and she is a good loving mum) but I dont agree with the biting. I think some old fashioned methods are good but still think biting him is a step too far.

md0u0131
26-07-2012, 08:07 AM
:eek: did you record it and get the parents to sign as an existing injury? Can you offer some alternative discipline techniques? She can't go biting her child, it's still abuse whether she's doing it for a "reason" or not!

The Juggler
26-07-2012, 11:24 AM
:eek:i think i would say, you know if you tell me you have done this, I have to record it as you have caused an injury to your child

i know some people still believe this works but in this day an age I can't 'believe they don't try other methods

Bridey
26-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I would make a record of the bite marks as existing injuries and give her a copy.

catlyn
26-07-2012, 11:28 AM
OMG...some parents never fail to amaze me...biting your own child is unacceptable.......ask her if she remembers watching an episode of Emmerdale where Nichola bit a child who had bitten her child...she ended up in court and got a criminal conviction!!!

AliceK
26-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Make sure you write it up as an existing injury and get mum to sign it when she collects, you need to cover your own back if nothing else.

As for what she's done. Surely thats abuse? You are not allowed to do anything to your child that leaves a mark. She's on very shaky ground.

xxx

FussyElmo
26-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Could you print some alterative behaviuor management sheets off for biting for her. Quite alot of people do actually still think this works along with all the other "wifetales" that they are.

Mind you does the mustard work :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:actually no my ds likes mustard :rolleyes: Never heard of that one :thumbsup:

cockatoos
26-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I think that putting mustard (or anything else bitter/noxious) into childrens mouth as a punishment is also classed as abusive (had discussion with health visitor about it once - not me, someone else who was doing something along those lines).

lynnfi
26-07-2012, 01:19 PM
My mother did this once to my brother when he was little to show him what it was like to be bitten.

And am still wondering how on earth she could have done that!

And to tell it to you as if it was acceptable hum, what is she doing and not telling???

I would report it. Straight away. But would make her sign papers of existing injury first to protect yourself.

It is not because it seems normal to her that it is not a safeguarding issue to us all.

Just like putting mustard in his mouth. All these are types of abuse.

stargazer1
26-07-2012, 03:36 PM
A lady (I use the term VERY loosely) that lives near me did exactly that - bit her child in retaliation of her daughter biting her and "to teach her a lesson". Granted, this woman already had social services involvement, but it resulted in her being criminally charged with assault, her news being splashed across the papers, and her three children being removed from her care. So I believe that it absolutely is assault and I cant actually believe that she told you she did it!!! Some people are shocking!!

Bridey
26-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Here is a leaflet from the NSPCC that deals with bite marks on children.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/inform/publications/downloads/oralinjuriesandbites_wdf48007.pdf

It clearly says that when an adult bites a child sufficiently hard to leave a mark, it is an assault.

bunyip
26-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Yup. Any deliberate action that results in a mark being left can be prosecuted as an assault.

There is no longer a common-law defence of "reasonable chastisement" for any adult acting upon a child, whether done by a parent, carer, teacher, anyone.

For the mums who think "reasonable chastisement" should still be allowed, I point out that it used to be an accepted defence for men "reasonably chastising" their wives.

I'd have to say I'd have recorded this as an existing injury, photographed the wound, and be seeking advice from a safeguarding point of view. The longer you leave it unreported, the harder it will be for everyone: child, mum and you.