PDA

View Full Version : Variation?

Kirsty90
25-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Last week I signed a new mindee to start in October when she will be 6 months old for 3 days a week. A few days later I had a phone call for another 6 month old mindee to start in August for 2 days a week and mum was more than happy to have the 2 free days I had available and came to sign contracts yesterday. Last night I got a phone call from mindee number 1's mum to explain that she had been in to work and agreed with them that when she returns to work in October she will go in 3 days a week as originally agreed but would think about putting her days back up to 5 days so basically she was phoning to see if I would be able to offer the 5 days if she did eventually agree to this. I know its all ifs and buts at the moment but if this was to happen a few month down the line would this be classed as continuity of care and would I be able to have the 2 under 1's for those 2 days a week?

Sorry its a bit long!

Thanks

Kirsty x

BlondeMoment
25-07-2012, 07:48 PM
To put it simply, no.
I tried this as I had a Mum who is a police lady and worked a shift pattern. She originally had her 4 month old with me every other Friday but then asked if she could have the odd Wednesday too for when she had to work that day. I already had an 8 month old on that day and I tried for a variation on the argument of continuity and the fact that it wouldn't even be every Wednesday. They said no :(

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2012, 10:52 PM
I would go with it as the second person is asking after 01.09.12

Kirsty90
26-07-2012, 06:03 AM
It could even be in 6 months time when one or both of the lo's are a year old, I really dont want to loose mindee number 1 but also dont want to let them down if she needs 5 days a week a month after shes started and I'm not able to give her them because I already care for mindee number 2.

With it being after September 1st will it be OK if I just risk assess everything and keep all the paperwork that prooves I've done this in case Ofsted want to see it?

Thanks

Kirsty x

bunyip
26-07-2012, 07:48 AM
AFAIK the rules for ratios do not change in September. It's just that the numbers will not be shown on our certificates, but that doesn't mean we can do whatever we like.

I went through this when I 'phoned Ofsted a while ago about appointing dw as an assistant, cos I had the option to increase my numbers at the same time. I find Ofsted's telephone minions are usually pretty nice, but got the distinct impression they're getting tired of explaining something that's already written in the new EYFS (welfare requirement 3.40, page 21) for anyone who actually bothers to read it. They said the idea is that we "self manage" whilst following the statutory requirements.

"Self-management" is not the same thing as "make it up for yourself as you go along." Unfortunately, too many CMs I meet don't understand this, usually cos they haven't even read the new EYFS documents yet. They are feeding off rumours, misinterpretations and heresay from other CMs.

The Juggler
26-07-2012, 07:53 AM
blonde moment that is interesting as I would say even under the old rules that you would have been granted a 2 under 1's variation for continuity of care.

I would say this is a straightforward case. You have 2 under 1 on different days, 1 increases their days so you can vary to allow continuity of care. Certainly under the new rules I'd say you could do this as long as she starts with the 3 days and then later increases. If she could wait until Feb, the August starter would be over 1 anyway.

julie w
26-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I have spoken to my development officer as I am in the same situation. I have had differing advice about variations. The advice I have been given on here is completely different to that of my DO. She has told me that as of 1st Sept it is fine to have up to 6 children without a variation as long as we are able to meet their needs. She confirmed it with ofsted. So the answer is yes it is fine and to go for it. xx

sarah707
26-07-2012, 09:08 AM
I have spoken to my development officer as I am in the same situation. I have had differing advice about variations. The advice I have been given on here is completely different to that of my DO. She has told me that as of 1st Sept it is fine to have up to 6 children without a variation as long as we are able to meet their needs. She confirmed it with ofsted. So the answer is yes it is fine and to go for it. xx

It will still depend on what your certificate says!

If you are registered for 4 or 5 children because of, for example, space limitations or having your own young children then that will not necessarily change!

Yes your certificate will say (if you are currently allowed 6) - '6 under 8' - if you have your own children under 8 but you will need to take them off the total.

Hth :D

CH1957
26-07-2012, 09:14 AM

I agree. My DO has said exactly the same thing. As of September we still have 6 under 8 (or less taking into account your own children) and if we want we can have all 6 under 5 years old. If we risk assess everything and note it all down for Ofsted when they inspect thats all we need to do. So as Kirstys situatoin is for continuity of care, it will be ok to do.

xshellbellex
26-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I posted something similar on another post as I've heard so many different things an ofsted inspector told my friend you can have 6 under 8 with no age limitations but as people say the eyfs says something a bit different. everyone is completely confused now and I am sure ofsted are getting sick of us phoning

but I am going to phone them asking the same thing as i will have a cross over of 1 hour one day and 2 hours another day where i will have 4 under 5. when i phone i will ask them to record what we have spoken about on my file so if there is any come back it is recorded

BlondeMoment
06-08-2012, 08:36 PM
blonde moment that is interesting as I would say even under the old rules that you would have been granted a 2 under 1's variation for continuity of care.

I would say this is a straightforward case. You have 2 under 1 on different days, 1 increases their days so you can vary to allow continuity of care. Certainly under the new rules I'd say you could do this as long as she starts with the 3 days and then later increases. If she could wait until Feb, the August starter would be over 1 anyway.

Thinking about, I do have a lack of space and I am only allowed 4 children under the age of eight. So maybe that was the main reason