PDA

View Full Version : Car seat query

notts
25-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi all,

I have a family with a different origin starting with me in Sept. Car seat wise she has said booster seat only with seat belt. Child is 5 and even though law states these can be used from a 4yo. For a small 5/6 year old I'd still want high back booster for mine. Any thoughts? do I do as she does or as I would?

Thanks in advance

hectors house
25-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Do you know the reason behind this request? I would have thought that a booster seat is a booster seat regardless of whether it has a back on it.

I wondered whether she was specifying a booster seat rather than a normal seat with integral harness as maybe in their culture they don't want stranger putting a strap in between legs of child or because the child wears clothing that makes an integral harness impossible (modesty issues). So if that is the reason just as well child is old enough to use booster with seat belt, other than that haven't got a clue!

rickysmiths
25-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I provide my own car seats and put the children in what I consider the best one for the age. I never use the booster seats now all mine are high backed and they go up to 11yrs old.

Unless there is a written medical reason I would show her the seat I intend to use and that would be that. My business my rules.

AliceK
25-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I have a garage full of car seats and I put each child into an age / weight appropriate car seat. I make that decision, not a parent. Unless there was a very good reason then I would prefer to use a HB Booster seat for a child of that age and that is what I would do. I would explain to mum that that is what you will be using and see what she says.

xxx

loocyloo
25-07-2012, 05:05 PM
I have a garage full of car seats and I put each child into an age / weight appropriate car seat. I make that decision, not a parent. Unless there was a very good reason then I would prefer to use a HB Booster seat for a child of that age and that is what I would do. I would explain to mum that that is what you will be using and see what she says.

xxx

same here.

i use high back boosters for all the children if i can, and if i have to use just a booster seat, then it is the biggest children that use them ( or my own! )

i had a LO who was in forward facing 5 point seat from way too young, and mum said a few times, that i didn't need to use the 'baby' seat, i used my rear facing baby seat until i was happy about moving up!

BlondeMoment
25-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I always go by this.......

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

But if she specifically wants a certain type I'd get her to supply it

notts
25-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys. I have brand new group 0,1,2,3's as I'll only ever use my own. In my personal opinion, I'd want my children or mindees to travel in a HB booster from 18kgs or 4yrs upwards as long as possible. I purchased group 2/3 combined so I could split between the 2 if necessary.

I'm going to go ahead with the HB booster day 1. If it's a problem, they'll let me know I'm sure. I just feel safety is my responsibility so therefore its got to be my way and if it can't be, will make sure request reasons are fully documented and signed with my opinion also.

Thanks all, knew you'd have some advice :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't think I have come across any car booster seat that a seat belt fits correctly on the shoulder (not the neck) unless it has the back

It won't be the parents who are being sued if you use incorrect seats so I would say no seat no contact