PDA

View Full Version : Observations

crystal tips
25-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Hello, i'm new to this forum, also newly registered childminder. Can you tell me do ofsted require observations to be done each and every day a child is in your care? or is it one or two a week.... i find this a little confusing. Any advice will be great.Thanks.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I just had my EYFS training and was told to do 4 "big thorough" obs per year and then take loads of pics to prove my activities and record any "wow" moments

That is it for us now

moggy
25-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I do them to record what the child is interested in or new achievements and areas for development. Sometimes that is once or twice a week, sometimes that is less- children develop and do things in spurts so I find it is very variable. There is no official guideline, as long as you are following child's progress and can track where they are at and plan for what's next. It also depends on how many hours child is with you. Also, if you have a concern about a child's development you might do more obs in a certain period, to see what is happening and how to help.

crystal tips
25-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Thank you guys for your advice, my understanding of obs are a lot clearer now.
great stuff:clapping:

Pauline
26-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi and welcome :)

I've moved your thread to the observations section as I think you will get more replies here :thumbsup:

Melmel
01-08-2012, 09:25 PM
I understood that it should be 2 obs per month. It is so hard to find out right from wrong sometimes

blue bear
02-08-2012, 06:19 AM
I understood that it should be 2 obs per month. It is so hard to find out right from wrong sometimes

In my experience children don't learn at a prescribed pace and that's why there is no set amount.
Little johnny may be stable and not learn anything new for a few weeks and then have a burst and show major progress in several things in a day. A young woman I know works in a nursery where they have to do 4 obs in a week of which two must be planned for, when I asked her why and what the learning objectives are she had no idea why, she was just doing them because she had been told to.
I dont do obs unless they are useful and meaningful, I have enoughh to do with out writing stuff up that's repetitive and because I need to hit some magic number.