PDA

View Full Version : Concerned with development

cas2805
24-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Hi, help please. Mindee started with me when he was one, I joked soon after that he was going to be a stunt man when he grew up. As time has gone on, I have raised my concerns with his parents. He is now 34 months old and parents aren't concerned that he eats with his fingers rather than use a spoon and fork (let alone a knife) when eating a sandwich, he pulls it apart rather than bites it. I do try and encourage him to eat like the other children. He has balance problems, still falls over, rather than walk around toys or even pick them up he treads on them and often falls over. He tried the balance beams at the children's centre and couldn't stand on them. If I ask him to wash his hands, he just stands there looking into the sink, I have to then tell him, put plug in, switch taps on, get soap etc If I don't tell him to do the next thing, he just stands there!!

Today's issues which made me want to ask for help:
holding foam javelins, he tried to walk into a teepee with them held sidewards, rather than turning them or dropping them, he forced his way in. Lunch today was a sausage sandwich, which he tried to eat the sausage sideways rather then turn it around. Ds and other mindee are 4-5 months older. Am I comparing them wrongly?

I have been told that he suffered problems at birth and had a clot on the brain, but was discharged from hospital as he has "no problems"

Any advice please

hectors house
24-07-2012, 04:02 PM
could it be a form of dyspraxia with the lack of spatial awareness and in view of his clumsiness are the parents really protective of him because of this - maybe he isn't allowed to do anything for himself at home and that is why he waits for you to give him instructions.

blue bear
24-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Where does he fall on the eyfs, maybe do a summative assessment and have a chat with mum. If things are looking like he's lots behind ask mum to chat to hv and take summative assessment with her.

The Juggler
24-07-2012, 10:12 PM
i would look at his development through physical, PSED, CLL against EYFS norms for his age and use this as a tool to talk to parents hon. Tell them you think it is worth just seeing the HV to rule out any issues.

Its never an easy conversation but it's our job to raise concerns with parents and its' the HV/GP role to diagnose.:)

VeggieSausage
25-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I have a child with all these issues too and he is now 30 months, his development is good in most areas and is not lagging behind yet, but as you say balance, spatial awareness, fine motor skills are poor. I think it is dyspraxia, I have mentioned to parents that I think they should talk to a health visitor about his balance and co-ordination but they have said they don't think there is anything amiss. My lo can use a spoon and fork but prefers to eat with his hands and is still very messy and has a strange way of eating, he can lose his balance standing still or kneeling up. I am trying to help him with his weaknesses and I am hoping that nursery will pick it up when he starts and talk to parents as I think they will listen to someone they see as a more formal professional.......

cas2805
25-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone.

I did raise my concerns yesterday at collection time!

C still has problems washing his hands... "oh that's our fault, our sinks are too high so he doesn't wash them himself, either we lift him and do it or use wipes" :angry:

C has problems using a fork and spoon "oh yes, he refuses to use them at home!" :angry::angry:

Ok now he still has balance problems, so still having a review with a chat, but some parents!!! Also mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he doesn't have his own bed yet as he always asks to sleep with his parents!

I wonder why his development is a bit behind?