PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Shortehhh
22-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi Everybody!

Right I don't want to sound thick guys but I am 23 and lloking at starting Child Minding in the new year, I have recently passed my early child childhood studies foundation degree and due to graduate in October.. I was just wondering before I think about starting my own buisness what courses would I need under my belt other than First Aid, Safeguarding etc.. Just wondered if anyone could put me in the right direction and also maybe links to following courses I can do online as well as offline :-)

Regards
Hayley

sarah707
23-07-2012, 07:02 AM
You need to speak to your local authority and find out what courses they are running for childminders.

You will still need to do an introductory course, regardless of your degree.

Hth :D

nannysue
23-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Hello Hayley , welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

Good luck with your registration process.

karensmart4
23-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Hi Hayley, welcome :thumbsup:

Shortehhh
23-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Well thank you so much I already feel welcome =) Thank you for everyones reply so far :)

Pipsqueak
23-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Hi and welcome to your new home:D

i think, as Sarah suggested, see what your LA is running, be discerning, you don't need to attend TONS of training - just stuff that you think may be of benefit.
Remember that this forum is an 'education' too!!
Reading books and magazines (related to childcare;)) counts as CPD/training too...

Vickster
23-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Welcome and yes as Sarah said contact your LA, as from September you have to complete a introduction course before you can register as a childminder.

Shortehhh
23-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Yet again everyone I am so greatful for your replies and advice =) I am looking into doing

- Equality and Diversity
- Understanding in Safe Handling of Medicines
- CAF Intergreated Working
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene
- Safeguarding Children
- Peadiatric First Aid
- Fire Safety
- Autism Spectrum

I am currently at my mums still so was going to get these under my belt before I leave my mums in January =) Then hopefully I be one step ahead.. Starting to write my own polcies and file em in my folder.. An get a meal plan together etc.. Would anyone reccomend what else I may need to consider?

I know there is a lot to do with child minding and I have read quite a bit but wondered if there a book what may be useful?

Regards
Hayley