PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journals

jumping j
22-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Is anyone else a bit protective about handing over their learning journals?
I gave notice on my ad hoc care and mum has decided not to send lo's back at all so I'm putting their learning journals together ready to hand over (I save all pics and obs on computer).

I know the CM mum has been considering and have heard some awful things about her (I also know her through a friend and privately agree with some of the things being said, I'm sure she has some lovely things to say about me too:laughing:) and don't really want to hand over my hard work for her to get the benefits from (if the parents even bother to give them to her, can see them ending up shoved in a drawer somewhere). Also I know the nursery eldest lo attends don't really keep learning journals :panic::rolleyes:
I know they have to get handed over but I feel a bit protective of my hard work, particularly all the ECaT work I've put in place :blush:

sarah707
22-07-2012, 08:57 AM
I agree it can be hard sometimes - but they are no benefit to you once the child has left...

You did it for the child and you made it the very best you could possibly do. That's what you have to remember.

:D

Bluebell
22-07-2012, 09:20 AM
yes i'm protective too - I have a lovely family and lovely children and when the first book was filled it was hard to see it go - we enjoy looking through it together and talking about it. I was especially mindful of it because at the time I was due my first Ofsted and this was quite a good demonstration of all the hard work I'd put in and all the different thngs we do. As it turned out the family gave it back to me for the frst Ofsted but the insector didn't look at it becaue that child wasn't there on that day!
If it goes in the drawer it will still be there for the child to look at and if it goes to new minder she will have to work hard to keep up to standards - she won't 'benefit' from it because it will be clear what is your work and what is hers.
Slightly different but I've just been given my sons learning book from his pre-school and he has been going 3 days and originally started just one day but has been going for 2 1/2 years. It is very treasured and he loves looking at it. He likes showing all of us - mum dad and brother but equally likes looking at it on his own. I hope your book will be as treasured. I think if I was a parent I wouldn't want to let it go to the next provider - I would be protective of it. Is there anyway you could do a short transition form ticking of the basics of where mindee is and not having to go into details - that way she won't need the book because she'll have the document and you will be able to demonstrate you're working with others by keeping a copy.

~Grasshopper~
22-07-2012, 10:20 AM
i understand completely.

my ds1 has just left reception at school and brought home his school learnign journal from nursery and reception. i love it and will be keeping it safe for ever to treasure :)

x

blue bear
22-07-2012, 12:25 PM
When they go onto places I know won't appreciate the work, I give parent an envelope with summary assessment, a x likes and doesn't like sheet and some photos of child playing here to hand onto new provider (envelope open so parents can look at) and then I give learning journal to parent "this is for you to keep". What happens after that is nothing to do with me but yes I feel protective of all that work and don't want to to go to waste or be passed off as some else's work. :crying: