PDA

View Full Version : reasuring a new mum?

mushpea
21-07-2012, 08:27 AM
How do you reasure a mum with a 10 week old baby who is new to childcare that leaving them with yourselves is the best place for baby.

Mouse
21-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Empathy...and lots of it!

You need to tell them that you know what it's like to leave your baby with someone else for the first time, you understand how difficult it is to leave them with a stranger and you know all the emotions that go with it. You also see it as a real honour when parents chose to leave their child with you.

Encourage her to tell you exactly what her reservations are and talk through them together.

I took on a 5 week baby a few months back. Mum had never even left him with his dad or grandparents. The first time she left him was for 10 mins...I sent her to the shop for milk! I told her that the hardest part was walking out the door for the very first time. It didn't matter how long she was gone for, it was the leaving that was the hard bit. I thnk she sprinted to the shop and back!
The next time she left him for almost an hour. I texted her half way through and told her he was fine.

I think it's often a case of finding out what their real concerns are and addressing them.

MrsP2C
21-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I would also make it clear that you will never replace mum and your bond will be more like favourite aunty - fun to be with & lovely to cuddle but never number 1 in his/her affections.This was a big concern when I started using a CM and whilst of course I really knew this is the case, it was always reassuring to hear her say it out loud.

The Juggler
21-07-2012, 10:09 AM
agree with all the above hon. ask what are her biggest worries, then discuss them. Tell her it's ok to ring as often as she needs to in the first few weeks. I know as a rule we wouldn't encourage parents to be ringing all the time but I think its good for them to know they can if they want to.

Mouse
21-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Parents also like it when I tell them how much I involve them in their child's day, even though they're not there.

Eg. when the child is eating I say "we'll tell mummy how much you like this", or if we're enjoying a story I'll say "we'll tell daddy this is one of your favourite books". Even when they're little babies I still talk about mummy & daddy a lot.

Parents like to know they're still being included in what their child is doing :thumbsup:

sarah707
21-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I remind parents they will always be number 1 - repeatedly!

I also encourage them to tell me about their worries so I can reassure them.

I offer extra settling in if parents need it (for them usually not the baby).

Hth :D

mushpea
21-07-2012, 02:46 PM
thanks for your advice everyone,, she was a lovley lady and spent a lot of the time talkin to my daughter about horses and horse riding! we seemed to get along really well, she is very laid back with baby who is the cutest since sliced bread, he was still the size of a newborn and I had lots of cuddles:D
She is going to see a friend of mine who I know wont want to work as early as this lady wants to start and shes also seeing another minder who I dont know so hopefully this one will come off but I have given up holding my breat for people.
in 15mns I have another set of parents arriving ,,, roll on my weekend lol

VeggieSausage
21-07-2012, 03:31 PM
gosh 10 weeks is so young!

mushpea
21-07-2012, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=VeggieSausage;1133059]gosh 10 weeks is so young![/QUOTE

yes but shes not going back till october so he will be about 5months but then shes not sure if she will go back in october or have more time off, all if buts and maybes again

miffy
21-07-2012, 10:13 PM
How did it go with the other set of parents?

Fingers crossed at least one of them chooses you

Miffy xx