PDA

View Full Version : Do you always send home a child who has vomited?

Maza
19-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi there,

11 month old mindee vomited today right after her nap - three times in the space of a few minutes - lots of it. She was pretty much 'herself' straight afterwards and didn't have a temperature or rash. Because of this parents seemed reluctant to come and collect her but I insisted, as you never know how quickly they can deteriorate. Of course she was all smiles when mum collected her. Mum was quite 'cool' towards me and I'm sure she felt I was over reacting. Did I do the right thing? Do you ever keep children after they have vomited?

Ripeberry
19-07-2012, 08:04 PM
They don't always need to have a temperature to have a bug. When our family has gone down with vomiting bugs. None of us EVER had a fever with it. So you were RIGHT to send home. :thumbsup:

Hope you don't catch anything though :(

sarah707
19-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Ds used to throw up for no reason and then be fine and eating normally afterwards... it was just him :rolleyes:

if it's just the child and that's what they do then no, I don't send home.

If it's unusual then yes I always ask parents to collect.

Hth :D

mummyof3
19-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes I always send home!

I had an incident recently where 3yr old decided to vomit all over my carpet yet seemed well in himself. Mum was very unhappy to collect but I stuck to my policy. She later text me to say after talking to dad he'd apparently eaten a large dark chocolate rabbit at 6am that morning and it was that rather than a bug but she would keep him at home next day just in case.

Another child was sent to me and brother announces she's been sick all night. I spoke to mum and she said it was the fact she'd eaten her tea too quickly that was why she was sick at night. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and then the next day myself and my family all started with sickness bug!

Just to show you never know and there is no point in taking any chances I will always stick to my sickness policy.

wendywu
19-07-2012, 08:12 PM
If its just that they bring up milk that they have just drunk or mucus when they have a cold then no i dont send home.

If it is the entire contents of their stomach then that is a different matter :eek:

zillervalley
19-07-2012, 08:14 PM
I always ask the parents to pick up the child

ziller

Helcatt
19-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I have to say, it depends on the child!

I have one who used to hyperventilate and tantrum if she didn't get her own way, to the point of vomiting. That, I would not send home

If it was just a little milk after a bottle or mucus after/during a cold, would not send home

Otherwise, go home. I was vomited all over a few weeks ago, out of the blue, very clingy all morning and then hit with it as we arrived at playgroup, temperature went up,. Joy! And then, mum said she had been up all night, not sick but not herself! But she seemed annoyed that little one was fine from 2pm onwards - erm yes, she would seem better if dosed up on calpol

Hx

Paulab
19-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I always send home with vomiting or the other end!, Much to the disgust of the parents,
What hacks me off is when the grandparents who usually come to collect when been sick, tell me that the child was sick all night, it happens every time, & mum always try's to get away with it !
She even put child in my car once on a meet at the school, saying I think she has poo'd in her nappy, for me to be greeted with diorreha covered all over carseat & her tights full of it etc, I did wonder why mum was strapping in when I usually do it,
And I don't have back for 48 hours same as the school,

X

Maza
19-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys. I feel more confident now that I did the right thing. I have had this little one for almost four months now and she has never been sick, so it was out of character. It was a couple of hours after her milk feed that she brought it all up.

jumping j
20-07-2012, 07:19 AM
I gave lo benefit of the doubt on tuesday, arrived with sick everywhere after being sick in the car, he's just started on cow's milk so I said benefit of the doubt, cleaned him up and carried on, lo was fine in himself but after I gave him some juice threw up again so I called mum to collect, felt bad doing it but I didn't want to get ill and I had other lo's to think about.

AliceK
20-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Yes I will always send home and exclude for 48hrs for vomiting. I think we all know what it's like to have a vomiting bug go through our entire families and so I will do all I can to prevent it. Schools and nurserys do the same so why should we have to take the risk.

xxxx

miss mopple
20-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I've never had one vomit here luckily.

Although, saying that I dropped one at pre school yesterday and after 10 mins they rang me to collect her as she had thrown up. I pointed out that if she was ill enough to send home then I didn't want her either so perhaps contacting mum would be better :rolleyes: When mum collected her they told her it wasn't much and could have just been some of her lunch.I'd already told mum I couldn't have her today though to be safe.

Feel a bit guilty as she's probably fine today, but the policies are there for a reason

~Grasshopper~
20-07-2012, 11:08 AM
i always send home asap for vomiting. when i first started mum told me child had a cold and had been a little sick in the night and then jumped in her car and left, that night (my first week of minding) i was so sick and my children were sick aswell.

she was so rude when i closed for 48hours but i made sure she new it was her fault and now i take no chances. sick is sick full stop.

xx

Maza
20-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I contacted mum today to see how LO was (she doesn't come on a Friday so no need to exclude) and LO had been vomited twice more at home and was off all food. So now I'm totally confident that I made the right decision! Apart from doing the right thing by the child and other children in my care, I did NOT want anymore vomit on my carpet or furniture. I think they miss that point sometimes. I know we take that risk when we become childminders, but they could help to minimise that risk!

sillysausage
20-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I was just discussing this this morning with a prospective parent. I said that it would depend on the child, whether there was anything else that would point towards them being ill. I said that vomitting once or one runny nappy doesn't necessarily mean they are ill. In small children they can happen for a variety of reasons eg teething, colds. I told her that if a child is off colour I normally keep them informed so that if I need to call them back it is not such a shock and they may have been able to make provisions at work in the meantime.
I also have an older mindee who is regularly travel sick. We have to make sure we take a lidded container and a bottle of water plus antiseptic spray to rinse it out on every car journey (surprisingly her parents regularly 'forget' and are always complaining she's been sick again in the car :rolleyes:)

EmmaReed84
20-07-2012, 04:54 PM
My eldest never gets "ill" in the terms that he feels too poorly to do anything...

One day when he was about 2 he was playing happily, no different then out of the blue went pale and threw up! Then he was ok again. Then about 20 minutes later he went quiet, pale and vomited... this happened all day and well into the night. He had no temp, nothing... Even now at the age of 6 when he gets the bug, the only way you know is that he is sick... I have never known him to moan when ill... he has had ONE occasion where he had a temp... ONE!

My youngest on the other hand... typical man... lays on the sofa and sleeps for England and get a raging temp.

mushpea
20-07-2012, 06:29 PM
hmm it depends,, if the child dosent have a history of being sick when they want to then yes even if they dont seem unwell
but I have had a child who when he didnt want to do somthing or he had had enough to eat or didnt want to come or whatever he could make himself sick on purpose,, you could actutaly see him squashing his stomach muscles to do it,, really weird but with him the first couple of times I did send him home but he was never sick a second time at home and we eventualy worked out that it was an attention thing so unless he was visibly unwell i used to keep hold of him but that was because I knew him well enough.

LChurch
22-07-2012, 08:36 AM
On thursday my ds was sent home from school sick, I was collecting a child from nursery about 15 mins later so she got picked up early, had another mindee too. I texted both parents who didn't collect early but then I managed to keep them all seperate apart from car journey for 5 mins max! Although I did cancel work on Friday as dd came back with chicken pox too, great start to holidays! there is so much going around at the mo. was waiting for dd to have sick bug too but thankfully escaped it so far! Just waiting for spots on ds!!!