PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please

jumping j
19-07-2012, 06:14 PM
I've got a 7 year old boy with me for the holidays.
I've never had a boy this old and am struggling for ideas.
I've got trips out and about planned but am worried he'll be bored if we have to stay at home.
A lot of my toys are aimed at EYFS and the older girls I have are happy to play with dolls/kitchen and food/crafts

What sort of toys do older boys like?

I'm feeling very silly because I used to teach this age group and I can't for the life of me remember what the boys used to like doing,:blush: apart from playing football and rolling in the mud:laughing:

lisa1968
19-07-2012, 06:25 PM
The easiest thing to do is to ask him-or his parents.
You dont want to be spending out on stuff that won't be used.
I've never met a boy that age who doesn't like Lego though!!!

sarah707
19-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Mine like Lego, all things craft, lots of garden play (essential), kite flying, puzzle books, watching DVDs and television and laptop time, they bring their electronic devices from home (we try to limit it), playing with the little ones...

enjoy! :D

BucksCM
19-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I look after a very lively 8yo! He loves to run about, play football etc when outside...loves going to the park or woods.
He also loves hama beads!! He'll sit for ages doing them..really surprised me the first time I tried them with him...longest he'd sat still!
He loves craft stuff...I do scrapbooks with the older ones through the summer...we make them from scratch and then they spend a little time each day writing, drawing, sticking things in them (pogo very useful in the summer hols!)
Construction toys, lego, k'nex, small world(he'll play with the playmobil dolls house) He also likes top trump cards now that he can read well
I do allow him to bring his DS, although he does have limited game play.

VeggieSausage
19-07-2012, 07:24 PM
think I will do scrapbook too, good idea....

mine 7 and 8 year old boys I look after like junk modelling, baking, paper mache, making pizzas, designing aliens and making them using clay etc, hot wheels, playmobile and I always say bring anything you might want to do.....

LauraS
19-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I love this age! How about some den building. We have a den building kit consisting of a couple of cheap tarpaulins, a load of rope, a few carabiners, some ground pegs, poles, camo net, and binoculars, periscope, walkie talkies etc. Lots of potential!

jumping j
20-07-2012, 07:35 AM
ooo clay's a good idea, and just thought of those bandages that you wet and stick to your hand/face/foot to make a cast to paint.
I've told mum he can bring his DS but let me know if he does so I can keep an eye on it.
My problem will come as I have a lot of 2 or 3 year olds and don't want them doing anything too advanced.
We'll be going into the woods and parks at some point so we can do some den building then
May pop to the car boot this weekend to get some lego or kinex

Thank you for your ideas

JumpingJacks
20-07-2012, 08:09 AM
My 7 year old loves junk model building and will do that for hours! They like making their own comics. Superhero play. Knex Lego. Cardboard castles out of boxes in the garden, board games etc. They can all be so different at that age so personally I would just ask them :)