PDA

View Full Version : Older children

BlondeMoment
19-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone.
I've taken on 5 siblings for the summer holidays, the eldest of which is 12. His Mum said to me that this 12 year old boy wasn't too keen on the idea of coming to a childminder and she asked if it would be OK if he meets his friends in town while based at mine? I guess I'm OK with that but what does Ofsted make of things like this? I don't really want to be stuck in because he's based at mine and can come and go as he pleases. I can't exactly take everyone else to the seaside while he's meeting friends in town. They may not turn up, or they could have a fight or something and he may then want to come back.
What do you all think?

funemnx
19-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Has he got a mobile phone? At least you can call him if your going out? Mum should put something in writing that when he is out that you are not responsible for him (log him in and out of the setting?) What happens if he is involved in an accident or like you say a fight? You will have other children with you... Can he have a friend visit him at yours? I understand why him and mum want this but I'd be worried all the time! :eek:

BucksCM
19-07-2012, 06:19 PM
If you are being paid by the parent to look after this child then that's what you have to do. I know it's really difficult with the older ones but they just can't go off. There was another thread I read today, someone sugessted that the child could go to a friend's house at a certain time but then collected from friend's house by mum....therefore care was only until the child left for the friend's house, and therefore insurance etc was all ok. Although you would have to explain that care would stop and that the child was no longer your responsibility.
I personally wouldn't do it. I'd rather have a grumpy 12 year old that be worrying that something could happen to him.

jumping j
19-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Think I'd be worried too, not sure how comfortable I'd feel being responsible for someone elses child when I didn't know where they were.

caz3007
19-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Looked after 12 year olds and they have had to stay with me. I wont let them go off doing whatever they want as you have no way of knowing what they are up to.

Even when parents have said its ok for them to go the park, I have made it quite clear that its not happening whilst they are with me

cathtee
19-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi I'm not sure I would be ok with it, but if you're happy to go ahead with it then make sure you have everything covered. Get mom to put it in writing that she is happy to allow you to let him out, make sure he has a mobile phone at all times, log him in and out in a diary so you know exactly when he is not in your care, and write an agreement between you and child that he will agree with your rules on time keeping etc.

JulieA
20-07-2012, 07:15 AM
I have to agree I wouldn't be happy either. If you are responsible for this child and he isn't in your care, what would happen if he got hurt, lost etc? Would the parents be so accomodating then - probably not.

If he was in my care then he would need to be with me.

Are there any holiday clubs that he could go to during the day instead, so he could be with children of his own age and usually full of activities specific to that age group? Our local leisure centre is running something along these lines for £15 a day. This way he will be the responsibility of the holiday group and you could then collect him afterwards.

VeggieSausage
20-07-2012, 08:27 AM
No I wouldn't be happy to do it, too much responsibility. Also what if you wanted to go on a day out, you couldn't leave the town he was in. He isn't able to look after himself otherwise mum wouldn't need any childcare for him, she obviously doesn't feel she can just leave him to meet up with his friends. Also what he wants to come back early and you're out, you couldn't give him a key to your house. Fraught with difficulties I think and you would be worrying.

BlondeMoment
20-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I think I'll tell her what most of you advised and say he has to either be here with me, or not at all. If she wants to leave him at her home with a key to let himself in and out then she can but I won't be letting him out on my watch x

nokidshere
20-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I have tweens and teenagers here for part of the holidays. They are allowed out and about in the local area with their friends as long as I know where they are going and that they have a mobile phone topped up and fully charged with them. They have to call me every hour and I randomly call them to make sure they pick up :) and they have to call me if they are moving from where they said they were going.

However, if I am going out - they have to come with me! The above only applies if I am at home.