PDA

View Full Version : Parent teachers

tash 1
19-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi all,have enquiry from my little boys school from one of the teachers kids starting nursery.how many of you have teacher parents? Do you feel they may judge u on EYFS?

BucksCM
19-07-2012, 11:08 AM
I don't mind teacher's children but a friend does. The mum was the first to sign the diary stating that she wanted her daughter looked after in a home from home environment and not for the minder to be writing diaries all day!!

QualityCare
19-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been minding teachers children from 1 school for several years now and have never found they judge me they all just want child care as they would give in their home without the EYFS.

Little Pickles
19-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I had a parent who a was a reception teacher a few years ago. She was great although I did have to set her straight one day ..... We were talking about Training , first aid courses etc and I was saying that I have to arrange cover , pay for the courses and arrange child care for my child's and she said she was the same ????? So I questioned her on this and she then relented and said she got paid time off and cover was arranged through the school !! Not really the same then :laughing::laughing:

AliceK
19-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Yes I do have a teacher as a parent and yes I do feel judged but that's probably just my paranoia :laughing: She's lovely actually.

xxxx

littletreasures
19-07-2012, 12:03 PM
All my parents are teachers (6 of them) and none of them really want me to do observations etc.

They want a home from home environment - where they take the dog to the vets if needs be, play in the park, all things they would do with their children if they were at home.

I don't feel judged by them at all :)

tash 1
19-07-2012, 12:10 PM
This is very interesting so what do you do when 0fsted say plan and observe and the parents don't want you to?

suzyjane73
19-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I have a teacher parent and she thinks its ridiculous that we are even inspected in such a detailed way. She understands that it is important to know we are reliable and safe etc but writing down all the Planning, Learning Journeys Etc she thinks are not necessary. Her daughter had been to a nursery before coming to me and mum said, "I hope you don't have to do that WOW moment nonsense, I know it's all done to tick a box for ofsted, all I want is for her to be safe and happy while I'm at work".

Fortunately the girl mostly only comes for school runs in the morning so I didn't need to do anything anyway.

WibbleWobble
19-07-2012, 12:42 PM
i have a schoolie whose mum and dad are teachers.(high school)...we moan about ofsted etc...its great.

I am just about to sign up the new baby of the teacher of my two 7 yr old schoolies....she approached me when she was pregnant because she really wanted my services!

I have had a child whose mum was the manager of a local outstanding nursey and she was gob smacked at what i do. I have mentored her on her first year of her foundation degree! Child moved on as he changed school.

i like teachers children.....i am a teachers child myself so i know what mums and dads have to face at work.

mandy xxx

Tatjana
19-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I have one and don't feel judged at all, infact she seems to marvel at how much I do and how happy her lo is. :thumbsup:

flowerpots
19-07-2012, 12:59 PM
2 sets of my parents are teachers and they are great! not judgmental at all. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
19-07-2012, 01:31 PM
2 of my parents are early years teachers - one head of early years and KS1 the other a nursery/reception teacher for years. They are fab! they always really appreciate the learning journeys and say how much they wish they had time to use so much detail. They are the best at contributing to the LJ's :D:thumbsup:

dette
19-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I've had a few in the past and have one at the moment ,reception class.She just wants him to be happy and play..said she doesnt care what he plays with or why hes playing with it as long as he's happy:) and he is

Tink
19-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I look after a lo who's Mum is my DD's nursery teacher. She is lovely and we have always got on really well, she is the only one who has contributed to Learning Journeys, brought in photo's, wow moments from home and knows all about the EYFS :clapping:

md0u0131
19-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I think teachers (speaking as an ex one myself and OH is still in teaching) realise more than others what pressure kids are under once they get to school so don't want them under pressure when they aren't in school!

Jiorjiina
19-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I have one teacher parent, though they teach A levels, so not quite the same. They said exactly the same about just wanting a home environment for their baby.

Mummits
20-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I have had lots of teacher parents, and one who ran a childrens' centre, a couple of social workers. I think it is great to have parents who understand EYFS and what I am trying to achieve by offering developmental activities for the children, and also the requirements and constraints we all work to. I don't feel judged but I think knowing I have knowledgeable customers does keep me on my toes... and they do give me presents at the end of term :clapping:

AliceK
21-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Well my teachers LO had his last day with me yesterday. He's only been with me 6mths and only came 1 day a week. Obviously I gave her his LJ to take away. She sent me a text last night thanking me for it and saying how lovely it was and how much time and effort I had put into it. She said it made her all emotional looking at it. That made it all worth it. Most parents just don't seem to realise the effort we do put into them so knowing she was pleased with it makes it all worthwhile :thumbsup:

xxx