PDA

View Full Version : 11 year old wanting to visit friend..?

lucyD
19-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Seen a prospective parent with 2 children who wants holidays only childcare. She says her 11 year old daughter has a friend who lives a few doors away & that she is happy that she goes round to see her whilst in my care. NOW how do I stand on this? Can I allow it? What if something happens? I feel uneasy but well aware she would want to see her friend....HELP!! :panic:

rickysmiths
19-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I wouldn't.

If she is in my care I am responsible for her and I can't be if she is in someone else's house out of sight and hearing.

Pure Safeguarding Issue.

caz3007
19-07-2012, 08:52 AM
I wouldnt and have always made it clear that I wont.

I had mindies who lived round the corner and when I had their friends in the holidays, we all went to play if we were invited or all met in the park, but I was always present, these were also older children.

lucyD
19-07-2012, 09:00 AM
That was my initial thought. Mum is very keen she sees her friend though. Is there anyway I could do a permissions form that covers issues that could arise etc & make sure mum signs to say she accepts this. May be I could ask NCMA

Mummits
19-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I can't see any way this would work. The friend's parent/carer would have to invite you and any other children you care for around to visit, or you could invite her friend with her parent/carer, but frankly it sounds too much trouble for you (especially if you have other children's needs to take into account. I suspect the parents realise you can't do this and are hinting at you offering to have this other child at yours.

QualityCare
19-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Could the mum arrange an afternoon where she goes to the friends to play at a certain time, travel arrangements made, and mum collects from there after work and you print out a permission slip which mum signs saying that x will be collected at ..... time to go to friends house (name and address) and will not be under your care or responsibility after this time. Make it plain to mum that child does not return to your house once she has left. Do this each time she goes.

Mouse
19-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I would phone your insurance company for advice.

You can act as more of a drop in point for older children, but you need clear guidelines on who is responsible for the child when they are not with you.

I do know childminers who have done this for older children, so it is possible. Like I say, check with your insurance company about how you could work it.

Bridey
19-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Could the mum arrange an afternoon where she goes to the friends to play at a certain time, travel arrangements made, and mum collects from there after work and you print out a permission slip which mum signs saying that x will be collected at ..... time to go to friends house (name and address) and will not be under your care or responsibility after this time. Make it plain to mum that child does not return to your house once she has left. Do this each time she goes.

This is the only way I could see round it as I would say NO to casual playdates. I certainly wouldn't be offering to have the friend at mine ... unless their parent is prepared to sign a contract and pay me! I would want the neighbour's parent to collect the child and sign that they have done so. I would not expect the child back at mine and I also would expect to be paid as normal. The same way really when one of my afterschool mindees has a playdate/tea invitation.

clareelizabeth1
19-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Is 11 not to old for a childminder anyway. I had to get my self to and from school at 9yr old and let my self in to an empty house and often start dinner. In the holidays I could come and go as I pleased as long as I left a note for my mum who worked full time, it might just be that I come from a single parent family.

All the children I mind for leave by age 11 as they go high school and in our village it's just the done thing for them to make there own way home. I want to know what age other people leave there children now.

caz3007
19-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Clare - I suppose it depends where you live and what the parents want to do. I think a village location is different as everyone is aware of the children and would sort of keep an eye if anyone got into any trouble

We were left at a fairly young age when my mum worked but my friends nan was around in emergencies.

My oldest mindie was 13 and I have also had 12 year olds here before, but the older they get the harder it is.

Definately no way I would leave my 9 year old on his own and he is extremely sensible, but its a long day and not fair in my opinion

Bridey
19-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I've just had a mindee leave me because he is nearly 13 and has finally been judged old enough and responsible enough to take himself home after school.

I would not want to leave an 11 year old girl to wander around on her own for the entire summer holidays and it would certainly be frowned upon in this small town. It would be deemed irresponsible and socially unacceptable and you would be very likely to receive a visit from social services!

Oh ... and I'm a single mother :thumbsup:

lucyD
20-07-2012, 10:17 AM
The 11 year old will be coming to me with her 8 year old brother. I live in a rural village & it would literally mean a few steps walk to her friends house to play then come back for lunch & mum picks up at 1.30! I am in 2 minds as I want to accomodate this BUT need to cover myself... I will def ring NCMA & see where I stand. If I have to say no so be it. Thanks for your replies.