PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Please advise, have I done the right thing????

EmmaReed84
19-07-2012, 06:56 AM
I rent a property which has a leaky bathroom, LL knows about and still not come round. Today it leaked through the ceiling as always but this time THROUGH the smoke alarm with is wired to the electrics!

It has started beeping then hissing... DH got a shock from it so I turned the electric off at the fuse box... it is still beeping and making a sort of hissing sound like a toy running out of batteries.

I can cancelled one mindee I have two here already and tried calling Mum, but she is driving. MIL is off and although I have a key am i right in thinking I am not insured to mind from her house... and as my smoke alarm is now unsafe, no longer insured to work here either?

The LL's son is coming round after a very angry call... I have to get Cameron to school and Caiden to next door.

Right now they are in the garden which is actually my fire assembly point anyway...

Please help....

ajs
19-07-2012, 07:00 AM
I rent a property which has a leaky bathroom, LL knows about and still not come round. Today it leaked through the ceiling as always but this time THROUGH the smoke alarm with is wired to the electrics!

It has started beeping then hissing... DH got a shock from it so I turned the electric off at the fuse box... it is still beeping and making a sort of hissing sound like a toy running out of batteries.

I can cancelled one mindee I have two here already and tried calling Mum, but she is driving. MIL is off and although I have a key am i right in thinking I am not insured to mind from her house... and as my smoke alarm is now unsafe, no longer insured to work here either?

The LL's son is coming round after a very angry call... I have to get Cameron to school and Caiden to next door.

Right now they are in the garden which is actually my fire assembly point anyway...

Please help....

Sorry if I am being dense and am totally off the mark. Why is that important to have a working fire alarm during the day that you'd cancell mindees because of it. I would just go out for as much of the day as I could and risk assess the rest of the day. Hopefully it will be repaired quickly and you can get back to normal routine

EmmaReed84
19-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Sorry if I am being dense and am totally off the mark. Why is that important to have a working fire alarm during the day that you'd cancell mindees because of it. I would just go out for as much of the day as I could and risk assess the rest of the day. Hopefully it will be repaired quickly and you can get back formal routine

Because it is wired to the electric, it is wet and hissing...:panic:

Not to mention coming through the lights now as well... it is a fire hazard in itself... not the fact that it isn't working.

ajs
19-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Because it is wired to the electric, it is wet and hissing...:panic:

Not to mention coming through the lights now as well... it is a fire hazard in itself... not the fact that it isn't working.

Oh sorry I totally missed the point :blush:

Penny1959
19-07-2012, 07:11 AM
As you are able to take the children to visit other people (assuming parents know this) I see no problem with you using MIL house today.

I would inform Ofsted and the parents.

I would also do RA for emergency use of MIL house and go out and about if practical to do so

Penny :)

Bridey
19-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Is the LL's son a qualified electrician - if he's not then he shouldn't be touching it. I would demand an emergency electrician and tell the Landlord I will be paying for it out of the rent money. I am sure there are laws about this sort of thing. Do you not rent through a management company? They should be dealing with this.

mama2three
19-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Youll be fine at a relatives for the day , no different to any other ''outing'' as far as your insurance and everything is concerned.
Hope its sorted soon

rickysmiths
19-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Is the LL's son a qualified electrician - if he's not then he shouldn't be touching it. I would demand an emergency electrician and tell the Landlord I will be paying for it out of the rent money. I am sure there are laws about this sort of thing. Do you not rent through a management company? They should be dealing with this.

I agree and I would be telling him you will be claiming any loss of earnings as a result of his negligence maintaining the property to the correct standard.

EmmaReed84
19-07-2012, 07:19 AM
LL owns a preservation company with sparkies, plumbers painters all sorts of trades...

Spoke to LL son as LL is away he is coming around with some one.

The problem is at MIL house no will be there as she is on holiday so I will be working from there, not as an outing if that makes...

I have called parent and she is collecting and I fully intend to bill my LL for loss of earnings!! I am furious, they have never ever met ANGRY EMMA... She does not come out very much! They are in for a shock, lovely quiet reasonable Emma has gone! Just call me the HULK right now lol.

Seriously what I wouldn't give for a boring life... seriously... hum drum will do me fine thank you very much.

The Award for best British Drama goes to .....ME!!!

I am taking Cameron to school, mindees being collected, and Caiden going next door. I have offered parent to go to her house as she has to work from home so might be able to help her out a bit.

Bluebell
19-07-2012, 07:20 AM
good grief - how frightening for you! Hope your hubby ok? Good luck with it all - let us know how you get on - I would get to somewhere were kids can play and you can have a cup of tea and I think your MIL's house sounds like the best option at the moment!

rickysmiths
19-07-2012, 07:30 AM
LL owns a preservation company with sparkies, plumbers painters all sorts of trades...

Spoke to LL son as LL is away he is coming around with some one.

The problem is at MIL house no will be there as she is on holiday so I will be working from there, not as an outing if that makes...

I have called parent and she is collecting and I fully intend to bill my LL for loss of earnings!! I am furious, they have never ever met ANGRY EMMA... She does not come out very much! They are in for a shock, lovely quiet reasonable Emma has gone! Just call me the HULK right now lol.

Seriously what I wouldn't give for a boring life... seriously... hum drum will do me fine thank you very much.

The Award for best British Drama goes to .....ME!!!

I am taking Cameron to school, mindees being collected, and Caiden going next door. I have offered parent to go to her house as she has to work from home so might be able to help her out a bit.

I don't think it would matter that your mum isn't there I don't think in an emergency Ofsted will care to be honest. If it is a house you visit and you risk assess I would ring the mum, keep the child and go to your mums and out for the day. Take them to the park cafe or similar for lunch and charge the extra cost to LL. I was out at a Garden Center with mindees yesterday and we had lunch in the cafe there.

EmmaReed84
19-07-2012, 07:34 AM
I don't think it would matter that your mum isn't there I don't think in an emergency Ofsted will care to be honest. If it is a house you visit and you risk assess I would ring the mum, keep the child and go to your mums and out for the day. Take them to the park cafe or similar for lunch and charge the extra cost to LL. I was out at a Garden Center with mindees yesterday and we had lunch in the cafe there.

I have called Mum now and she is collecting. The problem is I have to be here... trust me I am not I know full well they will just do a bodge job... I am staying here and making sure they fix it PROPERLY... And letting them know how I feel... Don't think my colourful language is going to be appropriate for little ears...

I am so angry about this... for months this has been going on... with excuse after excuse as to why it hasn't been sorted... I am on a mission now!

Mum is OK with collecting and I have offered to go round there when I can to help her out a bit which she seemed really grateful about... I will NOT be charging her, even if I do help her... LL can foot that bill!!!

PixiePetal
19-07-2012, 07:44 AM
hope all is sorted to your satisfaction - we use an agent for our property we rent out. Tenants had water coming through light fitting (blocked concrete gutter after torrential rain :rolleyes:) agent sent emergency electrician round immediately to make sure all was safe. No question.

It did make a stain on bedroom carpet and we replaced it when they moved out months later - our problem, not theirs. I felt awful that their home was being leaked on!

other less urgent things we sort with our own workmen friends :thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
19-07-2012, 08:09 AM
The problem we have is that 7 years ago when I fell pregnant we had no where to live. DH's step Dad is a contractor for our LL like I said he owns a business in his and rents out loads of houses... he has sort of been a family friend and DH grew up with the LL's son.

When we moved in the first time we got an agreement and stuff like that, then he got another better house so we moved to that, then we got this house which although leaking... is much better... two driveway, MASSIVE garden ect... but we never really carried on with signing agreements...

LL and family are actually really nice guys... I would have them round for drinks any day of the week. But when it comes to this they are useless!!!

LL's son has literally just showed up... and apologised... I have told him I am really angry and will be deducting my loss of earnings from the rent... I also had a go at him telling him they are really lovely blokes, but seriously they need to get their act together... They are smashing up my bathroom now as we speak... Hopefully this gets sorted

bunyip
19-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Check your tenancy agreement first. IME landlords have a nasty habit of stacking all the terms in their favour so they can wriggle out of these things.

Does the contract actually allow you to use the premises for work purposes?

Sometimes, even when you win, you lose. You might get LL to refund your lost earnings (after a fight) and be served notice too. Or the property might just be declared unfit, and you're out anyway.

Good luck, I do hope it works out, but I'd be taking advice.

EmmaReed84
19-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Next door neighbour just come out with Caiden and Caiden just told them off!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

"You a naughty boy, you need to fix our 'larm, it makes a fire you know with the 'trics!" :clapping:

Couldn't have said it better myself!