View Full Version : Building and contents in durance

18-07-2012, 07:30 PM
So yet again I'm struggle fling to find insurance for my home. Every year I go through this!

Who dos everyone else use?

Tried Morton Mitchell which was reasonable but doesn't cover theft as idonthavea burglar alarm. The tried ncma who was twice the price!


18-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Try more than, they cover cm's for accidental damage for up to 6 children. The cover is for buildings including contents, it's my 3rd year with them.:thumbsup:

18-07-2012, 09:20 PM
I've been with Churchill for years and never been told I need a burglar alarm.

blue bear
18-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm with mm they never asked for a burgler alarm

18-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks will try the, x

jumping j
19-07-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm with Tesco, got extra clubcard points and it was fairly resonable :D

19-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm with Direct Line, who regard CMing as falling within "domestic use" of the property. I did have to ask them to confirm this in writing, as it isn't on the schedule. No need for a burglar alarm, although some insurers make this call depending on your postcode.

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I've been with Churchill for years and never been told I need a burglar alarm.

Me too - fantastic company and I do have an alarm

19-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Sorted it now. When I asked morton Michael about the theft thing they said they cover forced entry only theft. So in other words if a guest or assistant pinched something then that's not covered! That will do me :-)

20-07-2012, 03:12 PM
hi, when i first started cm 7 years ago i had no problem getting insurance but over the past few years i have. Im now with adrian flux, went with one last year got a letter confirming my details for this years insurance, it said occupation house wife, then underneath said childminder, then it said the house should not be used for business use , i rang them and they said they dont insure childminders yet i told them i was and had it confirmed in writing, he then ended my insurance straight away wasnt due for another month so annoying. i then spent all day trying to find another one, went with my cm insurance company mm then when they sent me document via email i realised i wouldnt be covered i think its up to 12 children although i dont have that many i could in the future because i work with another childminder , home contents insurance no accidental damage, i dont understand why its so much money and most wont even insure us, what do they think the children are going to do set fire to the house, i said this to mm she said well my child set fire to a bin when he was little lol well i think i would be struck of if my mindies did that, there is more chance of parents claiming if they have lots of children than us who do regular risk assessments!

21-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Very true tammy! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

christine e
21-07-2012, 07:06 AM
It is standard on insurance buildings and contents insurance policies to exclude cover for anyone running a business so when giving your occupation as a childminder you need to make sure they understand that this means you will be running a business from the property. Years ago I gave my occupation as 'childminder' only to discover that they had put me down as a nanny because childminder was not on their list. I now have it in writing that I am a childminder running a business from home - I have an endorsement on my contents policy (Zurich) and a letter from buildings insurers (L & G).


05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
My quote jumped up by £500 on renewal

has anyone got cheap quoto recently