PDA

View Full Version : Members in Bristol and Bath

Chatterbox Childcare
18-07-2012, 06:11 PM
We are venturing to both towns in the next 6 weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend any activities? Looking at soft play/parks/museums.

The cheaper the better as we have loads :)

thank you

Chatterbox Childcare
21-07-2012, 09:58 AM
What no one lives in or around bristol or bath????

JulieA
21-07-2012, 10:53 AM
:laughing: I do! Must have missed this post.

Bristol:
Hengrove Park - great if nice - take towels as commonly known as the sand and water park! Lots of zones for different aged children and a skate park too.
Bristol Zoo - beware of the dinosaurs during the Summer!
Bristol Museum and Art Gallery - at the top of Park Street in the Centre.
@Bristol / Aquarium - @Bristol has hands on science exhibitions (my 6 & 8 year olds love it there) - check out the black sand, and the Planetarium! Millenium Square where @Bristol is also has water fountains!
Ashton Court - see the house, red deer and walk/cycle through the woods. May have balloon fiesta or kite festival - both worth a visit.
M-Shed - a new museum with a double decker bus and examples of Bristol's past.
Soft Play - check out Jump (near Cribbs Shopping Centre, nr M4); or closer to the centre of town is Playspace. Both highly recommended but busy!

Bath:
Royal Victoria Park - fantastic, and a walk around the gardens too. Watch the squirrels.
Bath Leisure pool has water slides and a hot tub for mummies.
Roman Baths is worth a visit for glimpse into the past.
Americam Museum just outside of Bath but there is a bus service

Will post more if I can think of anything else!

Chatterbox Childcare
21-07-2012, 02:12 PM
:laughing: I do! Must have missed this post.

Bristol:
Hengrove Park - great if nice - take towels as commonly known as the sand and water park! Lots of zones for different aged children and a skate park too.
Bristol Zoo - beware of the dinosaurs during the Summer!
Bristol Museum and Art Gallery - at the top of Park Street in the Centre.
@Bristol / Aquarium - @Bristol has hands on science exhibitions (my 6 & 8 year olds love it there) - check out the black sand, and the Planetarium! Millenium Square where @Bristol is also has water fountains!
Ashton Court - see the house, red deer and walk/cycle through the woods. May have balloon fiesta or kite festival - both worth a visit.
M-Shed - a new museum with a double decker bus and examples of Bristol's past.
Soft Play - check out Jump (near Cribbs Shopping Centre, nr M4); or closer to the centre of town is Playspace. Both highly recommended but busy!

Bath:
Royal Victoria Park - fantastic, and a walk around the gardens too. Watch the squirrels.
Bath Leisure pool has water slides and a hot tub for mummies.
Roman Baths is worth a visit for glimpse into the past.
Americam Museum just outside of Bath but there is a bus service

Will post more if I can think of anything else!

thank you so much

cathtee
21-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Sorry, from the midlands so can't help:blush:

hectors house
23-07-2012, 11:14 AM
I took my daughter a couple of years ago to Bath Aqua glass blowing place - not far from main shopping street also to Museum of Bath at Work which is at Julian Road not far from Walcott Street both have websites and not too expensive admission fees.

Also American Museum on outskirts of Bath up near Bath Uni at Claverton Down - to visit the gardens with outside museum, waggons and tipi etc very reasonable prices, more expensive if you want to go in main exhibition which is furniture & quilts etc which may not be interesting to younger children. Also from near here you can do the Bath Skyline walk, info on website - but suitable for older children who can walk 5 or 6 miles (no buggies).

Also saw advertised on Groupon today for Bath - Bath City Farm which I hadn't heard about before - just looked up website says parking and admission free but £2 donation appreciated - looks good I may take mindees.

Bath has got lots of other museums but not sure how interesting they are to younger children. Hope you have fun whatever you try.

rickysmiths
23-07-2012, 04:56 PM
I took my daughter a couple of years ago to Bath Aqua glass blowing place - not far from main shopping street also to Museum of Bath at Work which is at Julian Road not far from Walcott Street both have websites and not too expensive admission fees.

Also American Museum on outskirts of Bath up near Bath Uni at Claverton Down - to visit the gardens with outside museum, waggons and tipi etc very reasonable prices, more expensive if you want to go in main exhibition which is furniture & quilts etc which may not be interesting to younger children. Also from near here you can do the Bath Skyline walk, info on website - but suitable for older children who can walk 5 or 6 miles (no buggies).

Also saw advertised on Groupon today for Bath - Bath City Farm which I hadn't heard about before - just looked up website says parking and admission free but £2 donation appreciated - looks good I may take mindees.

Bath has got lots of other museums but not sure how interesting they are to younger children. Hope you have fun whatever you try.

My two always enjoyed going to this museum.

The tea and cakes at the American Museum are good too :thumbsup:

Wendybird
23-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Bath City Farm is great :thumbsup: You can just have a wander - all the animals are very used to kids and people and we generally go weekly to their Roots and Shoots toddler group on from roughly 10:30 to 12 on a Tuesday morning.

The leisure centre has a soft play, Zany Zone, which isn't very expensive to go in. Not huge, but great on a rainy day.

I actually don't like Victoria Park with little ones unless they are just your own. It is huge and kids get out of sight really easily. They also have a carousel up at this time of year, which is great, unless your 2 year old tantrums if he can't ride it continuously - which gets expensive :laughing: Much better is Alice Park just off London Road in Larkhall - lovely cafe, enclosed play area and community gardens, tennis courts and grounds to wander. Good with a scooter as there are paved paths. There is also Alexander Park which is lovely (and enclosed), but no cafe.

Between Bath and Bristol is Avon Country Park, which is lovely with animals, soft play, a train, etc. It is a bit more expensive to get into, but nothing prohibitive.

Hope that helps!

hulahooper
06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Good thread. Thanku

Sent from my LT26i using Childminding Forum