PDA

View Full Version : advice needed asap please!!!!

watgem
18-07-2012, 04:36 PM
a mindee has scratced a pattern with her nails in my next door neighbour's car!
we were all waiting for her mum as she needed them to jump in the car quickly, as I was talking to the others I looked down and there she was scratching away(she's 8)the car is very tatty, but the neighbour is very grumpy and notices every little mark etc, I tried rubbing off with wet finger butno joy, so do I
-be honest and tell neighbour and offer to pay for damage/try and repair it my self?(seeing if I can claim off my insurance)
-ignore it and hope they don't notice?
-get parents to sort it?
If I try and repair it any ideas how please? the paintwork is very faded and streaky like its been painted with a brush, I know the neighbour is hard up so obviously not fair to expect them to pay
Any ideas asap really welcome neighbour is out at the momentxxx

mumof4
18-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I think if it was me i would tell the parents whats happened and get them to talk to neighbour. What a situation to be in :(

BucksCM
18-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I think the same as above(mumof4)
Tell the parents and let them deal with it. You wouldn't have been waiting outside if they didn't want a quick pick up and tbh, an 8 yo should know better!!!

rickysmiths
18-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Not really the parents problem the child was in your care at the time she did it.

Though some sanctions are required because that is not acceptable behaviour and I would inform the parents what the child has done and what your sanctions are going to be. Also that there will be no waiting outside they will have to knock on the door in future.

I think you have to go round and apologise and ask what they want to do. Lightly rubbing with Brasso will get small surface scratches out.

Bridey
18-07-2012, 04:49 PM
If it were a nice shiny looked after car I'd be honest but under these circumstances I'd be tempted to keep quiet. Yes, I know - I'll never go to heaven, that was established a long time ago at the convent school I attended! ;)

However, I would consider it your responsibility - its not the parent's fault at all. The child was in your care. I would never wait outside for a parent, especially if I had other mindees.

singingcactus
18-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Seems unlikely that a little girls finger nails could possibly damage hardened car paint beyond what a quick wipe with T-cut (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 7733_langId_-1_categoryId_255240) would repair.

I know I should say go tell him, but he's grumpy! I think people who are unpleasant need to live with the fact they scare other humans away and make it impossible to be good neighbours with! You reap what you sow!

Honestly though, I doubt a little girls fingernails could damage car paint!

watgem
18-07-2012, 04:57 PM
parents have been told but they were in a rush so had to go, neighbour still not back, hubby thinks it could be rubbed out with a scourer but obviously that will change the paintwork.I do realise its my fault as I was with her just didn't expect an 8 year old to do that:(and it was literally done in the space of a couple of minutes-any one with MM have experience of this before do you think it will be covered? I do find it hard to lie so perhaps honesty will be the best policy

watgem
18-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't normally wait outside but its the school leaving prom and parents were involved, we were literally all outside for 5 minutes, all standing nicely talking about the last day of school, all school aged children.

Bridey
18-07-2012, 05:01 PM
She was definitely scratching it and not following an already exisiting mark with her finger? It does seem strange for car paint to be damaged that easily.

Goatgirl
18-07-2012, 05:12 PM
She was definitely scratching it and not following an already exisiting mark with her finger? It does seem strange for car paint to be damaged that easily.

I would think this is more likely and not say anything to horrible neighbours unless they say something first. AT which point I'd say 'Oh I thought it must already have been there, surely finger nails couldn't cause a lasting mark' and use some of the suggestions above for removing the mark (not the scourer :eek:)

Good luck :thumbsup:

watgem
18-07-2012, 05:19 PM
thanks i will get some t cut, definitely will not use a scourer,thank you, and unfortunately the brushmarks go across the side of the car but she has scratched a big star so it does stand out cos the darker paint underneath is exposed. going to find my policy and see what it says

mushpea
18-07-2012, 07:41 PM
would your insurance cover this incident?
I certainly wouldnt use a scourer on a car, it would just make more scratches,, I would polish the tcut on and off as per the instructions or use colour matching wax.
as for the child i wouldnt trust them not to damage any property wether it be mine or anyone elses and tell her untill you feel you can trust her again that she has to shadow you and I wouldnt wait outside for the parents anymore and tell them why.

Bridey
18-07-2012, 08:43 PM
It sounds like he's painted the car himself! That's why I would be reluctant to own up ... Just be careful he doesn't expect you to pay for a professional respray!!!

QualityCare
19-07-2012, 10:03 AM
After reading all your posts l'm inclined to agree with Bridey that the car has been hand painted and l wouldn't say anything. An 8yr olds nails are not strong or long enough to scratch a pattern on a professionally painted car, you could end up with all sorts of bills insurance claims to repair an already bodged job.

boxtree7
19-07-2012, 10:33 AM
If it were a nice shiny looked after car I'd be honest but under these circumstances I'd be tempted to keep quiet. Yes, I know - I'll never go to heaven, that was established a long time ago at the convent school I attended! ;)

However, I would consider it your responsibility - its not the parent's fault at all. The child was in your care. I would never wait outside for a parent, especially if I had other mindees.

I would say nothing at all !! and pray I will still go to heaven !!
you could be opening a big can of worms if the owner is a grump.

kel1983
19-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I would go and hide and not go and tell unless questioned. :blush:

Bridey
19-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Oh dear - I think I may be a corrupting influence on here! :blush::littleangel::D

md0u0131
19-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I would keep quiet too, but as i don't believe in heaven I wouldn't be going anyway!

Chimps Childminding
19-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Well I know for sure I'm not going to heaven, been far too naughty in the past :eek:, so unless he actually saw the child do it and said anything I would keep quiet :blush: I would also have thought it highly unlikely that a child's nails would be strong enough to scratch car paint and to do a pattern like a star I would have thought something sharp and pointed would have been needed - did she say she did it, or could she just have been following the outline like someone else suggested?

You will have to be careful that if you try and repair it without him knowing you don't end up making it more obvious!!

Mouse
19-07-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd pretend it never happened and wouldn't think about it again.

Heaven is going to be very lacking in childminders, isn't it :littleangel::p

Tatjana
19-07-2012, 01:04 PM
What scratches??! ;)

mummyof3
19-07-2012, 01:21 PM
I'd not say a thing either :blush:

watgem
20-07-2012, 08:08 PM
she did it with her nails ,standing right in front of me while I was chatting to the other children about school and holidays, all done very quickly. well I'm not going to heaven cos the whole car is very battered, the paintwork is very bad anyway and it has been broken down for weeks, so I have kept quiet, however my husband is helping mend the car so I'm hoping that will be some kind of reparation iyswim