PDA

View Full Version : variation help please

mushpea
18-07-2012, 02:44 PM
hello another variations question.
I currently look after a 1yrold and a 3.5yrold who go home at 1.30pm, I have had an enquiry for a 9 month old all day on the same day and a couple came to see me with a 2yrold wanting from 12pm on the same day,, the 9 month wont start till sept or october and she wants 3 full days but wont be able to let me know if shes choosen me unill next week when shes seen everyone but the meeting went very well, the 2yrold would start straight away wanting 15hrs a week so less hours than the 9 month old but she will let me know friday.
so for the sake of 1.5hrs when I will be over my numbers can i risk asses this and decide for myself in september, or do I need to ask ofsted as its new buisness and also would I apply before september as the 9 month old will sign contracts august but wont need me till sept/oct.

Hayley102
18-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Could you get the 9 month old to start coming for 1 day before, then it isn't new business! I have done this in the past explaining to the parents reason behind it and have explained that variation may not be granted but probably would!

sarah707
18-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Could you get the 9 month old to start coming for 1 day before, then it isn't new business! I have done this in the past explaining to the parents reason behind it and have explained that variation may not be granted but probably would!

Sorry Hayley but that's not what variations are all about.

They should only be granted as the exception to the norm - and after a lot of thought and consideration for the safety and welfare of all the children in your care.

Plus continuity of care by definition is about a child who is well settled in the provision - not one who has been there for a day or so.

Hth :D

Penny1959
18-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I agree with Sarah the exceptions are not to be self granted in these sort of situations.

The idea is to support parents whose circumstances change - so a new baby or a change of days at work, or partners change of shift when care i shared, or even a grandparent who cares for child normally on some days - being ill so extra days with childminder needed on a short term basis.

It is not about taking on new business and knowing that parent really wants more days than you can provide.

As Sarah says you have to ensure you can met the needs of all the children - and if a child is new to setting this will be very difficult to assess.

There is also another factor that has to be taken into consideration - and that is how long this exception will be needed - it is expected that exceptions would be short term.

Remember that all responsibility will be the person deciding that an exception should be applied - and that an inspector can question the decisions made at any time.

Penny :)

Goatgirl
18-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi :),
If it turns out they do want their child to come to you I would explain you can't commit at the moment to that 1 1/2 hrs a week. Tell her what the new situation is from sept regarding variations and if parent is agreeable, start the child sooner but on a day when you have space.
Then by Sept/Oct you will be able to assess whether it would be possible to provide for all 4 children's needs for that period of time and increase the child's hours accordingly.

I was granted a variation recently for a child I'd only had for a couple of weeks for a few hours at a time and I have heard before of minders who have been told by Ofsted to start a child on fewer/different hours then re apply for a variation.

At the end of the day it is the welfare of the children that is important and I think that as you could do the above if it happened 'naturally', and there is really no difference in the care the children recieve, you ought to be able to 'adapt' the circumstances.

But I realise that is just my own opinion....

Do what you feel is right: certainly you could explain the situation to the relevant parent and see if they want to take the chance of a future variation. It may even be that a parent could change the days/hours they use and remove the need for a variation at all. Good luck :thumbsup: