PDA

View Full Version : Toy food in mouths.

AliceK
18-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi

Just wondering if you are happy with children putting toy food etc in their mouths when they are playing. I have a 3yr old and a 2.5yr old and they play with the toy kitchen / food a lot. They are constantly putting it all in their mouths and the amount of food thats been ruined where it's been bitten etc. Am I unrealistic to expect them to know to just pretend to eat it or is this to be expected, after all they are role-playing at eating food :rolleyes::rolleyes:
What do you do and if you don't let them put it all in their mouths how on earth do you stop them??

xxx

kel1983
18-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I am constantly telling them to take things out their mouths. But unfortunately when iy comes to play food they are more likely to do it. Our food has teeth marks and missing labels. One child thinks that if he takes the label off a pack of biscuits there may be something inside :laughing:

I sterilise on a regular occassion

Mouse
18-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I try to stop them from biting the food, but I suppose it's all part of pretend play.

Most of our play food is wooden or solid plastic, so it doesn't tend to get chewed the same as the hollow plastic food. In fact they rarely try eating the wooden food.

It all gets cleaned regularly :D

loocyloo
18-07-2012, 01:09 PM
i found that my plastic food was always being eaten and chewed, and like mouse, my wooden food is rarely chewed!

i sterilise on a regular basis!

Bridey
18-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Don't Ikea do felt food? I bed nobody chews on that!

mummyof3
18-07-2012, 01:22 PM
This is one thing that really annoys me! I have had to replace so much play food where they eat, chew and break it. I am forever saying take it out of your mouth.

I have now put it high up and only get it out when the main chewing culprit is not here :blush:

waterwaybabies
18-07-2012, 01:26 PM
i make sure they are not hungry when the play food comes out.lol:laughing: [and that little ones that do mouth toys have a clean selection to play with which are recleaned after use]

clareelizabeth1
18-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I did do play food got fed up with it getting eaten so now they use their imagination and I either put nothing, wooden blocks or balls in the play kitchen. Sometimes pasta and rice but only when I'm being brave. The variety of meals the make is so much better than when I used plastic food and much more fun.