PDA

View Full Version : Really?!

LittleLegsCM
18-07-2012, 06:17 AM
So yesterday morning when handing over an invoice to a parent I mentioned, just out of courtsey, that I had sent off some course requests with the council and that unfortunately a couple of them fell on a week day in november, yes you read right NOVEMBER! I said that although I had sent the requests off there was no guarantee until 4/5 weeks before that what course date I would get but I'd let her know as soon as I knew.

This morning, she says to me in quite a stern voice "you heard anymore about them course dates yet? 'cos obviously I'm gonna have to pay someone else to look after them!" :eek: I explained again that I may not hear until 4/5 weeks before and the face she pulled at me :angry: was like I had just told her it was going to be tomorrow!

Now I've already calculated her fees for next term and taken these dates into consideration so technically even if I didnt get on the courses I could still take them off if I wanted to. Also, my p&p's & contracts state 4 weeks notice for mine & their holiday so I could of not mentioned it at all until then but I did so you would think she would have appreciated such long notice not stress about it?!
I think someone has got too used to me not taking holiday, should be interesting when I can actually afford to take a holiday and inform her! :rolleyes:

blue bear
18-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Sounds like she likes to be organised, I would not like the uncertainty of the dates either, personally I'd have proffered you to say I'm having x day off in four weeks rather than its possible in 6 months I'll be having one of three dates off.

boxtree7
18-07-2012, 06:28 AM
I would have pencilled in the dates and told parents the possibility of training dates.

LittleLegsCM
18-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Sounds like she likes to be organised, I would not like the uncertainty of the dates either, personally I'd have proffered you to say I'm having x day off in four weeks rather than its possible in 6 months I'll be having one of three dates off.

This certain mum definitely isn't someone I would call 'organised' in fact she would openly admit that she is the complete opposite.

shes been given the weekday dates that they could be on, Ive requested saturdays for my first choices but I doubt i'll get them all.
I thought I was being helpful as she could then either book them off herself or get someone on stand by but at least she was aware of them as early as possible.

Suppose in some instances you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

miffy
18-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Next time just give her the minimum amount of notice you need to - then at least she will have something to moan about :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

EmmaReed84
18-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Probably not very professional but I think my response would have been... "Well next time I won't tell you until I know for definite which will only give you 4 weeks notice, not 4 MONTHS, if you would prefer!" :D

LittleLegsCM
18-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Probably not very professional but I think my response would have been... "Well next time I won't tell you until I know for definite which will only give you 4 weeks notice, not 4 MONTHS, if you would prefer!" :D

I was very very tempted! especially as she's had my questionnaire for 2.5 months now & everytime I ask if she has it I get told "it's on my kitchen side, I've not done it yet" in a real 'Am I bothered?' type of way

rickysmiths
18-07-2012, 07:22 AM
I have 4 paid training days a year in my contract and it states I will give as much notice as possible but it may not be much.

LittleLegsCM
18-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Well, I've just had to phone them about something else and they were able to tell me the courses that I had got on while talking to them. I got a place on all the ones I requested, :thumbsup: great, 2 of which I got Saturday dates which is even better!

Now to decide whether to still have the saturday alternative week days off (considering I've not had or booked any holiday this year) or be extra nice and still work... decisions decisions ;)

EmmaReed84
18-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Pah... time off... You are not serious?!?!?!?!?!?!

How dare you even contemplate it lol....

Ahhhh :censored: take the time off and tough poo to the parents, you deserve at lease ONE day a year off lol

Little Pickles
18-07-2012, 09:00 AM
I have 4 paid training days a year in my contract and it states I will give as much notice as possible but it may not be much.

I am interested in doing this too especially as the funding for courses has been withdrawn , seems harsh for us to take an unpaid day off and pay for a course !
How do you work it out please ? I mean as in making sure that you share out the days around parents days etc ? A lot of the LA courses here are on Tuesdays or Thursday so I would be concerned that parents on those days would have to pay of training days .....or do you include online training ? Having a paid day off to do online trying that I normally do in my own time is very temping :blush:

rickysmiths
18-07-2012, 09:08 AM
I am interested in doing this too especially as the funding for courses has been withdrawn , seems harsh for us to take an unpaid day off and pay for a course !
How do you work it out please ? I mean as in making sure that you share out the days around parents days etc ? A lot of the LA courses here are on Tuesdays or Thursday so I would be concerned that parents on those days would have to pay of training days .....or do you include online training ? Having a paid day off to do online trying that I normally do in my own time is very temping :blush:

I don't work it out evenly because it is a bit like the BH the training is when the training is I have no control over that. I don't always use all the days every year though.

I have a Training and Personal Development Policy in which I explain that I undertake regular training most of which is completed in my own time in evenings and on Saturdays but sometimes training that would benefit me and their children are only offered during the day. I undertake to give as much notice as possible but can't promise to always give a lot of notice.

Little Pickles
18-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I don't work it out evenly because it is a bit like the BH the training is when the training is I have no control over that. I don't always use all the days every year though.

I have a Training and Personal Development Policy in which I explain that I undertake regular training most of which is completed in my own time in evenings and on Saturdays but sometimes training that would benefit me and their children are only offered during the day. I undertake to give as much notice as possible but can't promise to always give a lot of notice.

Thanks for the reply .... Def one to think about . I am doing the CYPW diploma at the moment and that is one evening a week
Thanks again :)

mushpea
18-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I have a smilar issue with a parent who keeps demanding to know which week I am having off in august and I keep telling her Im not, its because they dont pay me when im on holiday and she wants to to see her mum whos abroad so wants to go the same week im off to avoid paying me which obviously makes perfect sense but im not having a week off just to please her, she only comes 2 days a week anyway!

rickysmiths
18-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the reply .... Def one to think about . I am doing the CYPW diploma at the moment and that is one evening a week
Thanks again :)

I'm just finishing mine. I did one Saturday a month for a year.